1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Model name: GS1100-1A
Series name: Giez

Rundown of features:

This Casio is solar powered, has atomic time keeping, is 200m water proof, has a perpetual calendar (day/date) programmed to 2099 (which means no adjusting the date at the end of the month, even when you don't receive the atomic sync), has a chronograph (measures up to 60 minutes and in 1/20th sec. increments) that can be paused, has 1 daily alarm (quiet 10 sec. beeping), and it supports 29 world time zones. All of its features are useful and work as intended.

Some details:

Packed into this analog watch are many functions typically only found in digital watches. It takes a little time to go through the manual. After a short get-to-know session with the watch and a few visits to the manual it is pretty easy to do everything I need it to. Since this watch has many functions there is a learning curve.

The alarm is quiet. I only ever use it as a "reminder alarm" and wouldn’t ever rely on it as a "wake-up alarm". Low alarm volume is typical of most wristwatches anyway.

The hands do move a bit slowly when adjusting the alarm or switching between time zones but I actually don’t mind this much. I enjoy watching the 5-motor technology at work. If you dislike having to wait for the hands to move while you change the settings you might want to go with a basic analog or get a digital watch instead.

The chronograph minutes are difficult to read accurately since there are only 5 minute interval hatch marks on the upper right dial. This is a minor downfall but after getting accustomed to reading the chronograph minutes dial and checking it carefully, it is possible to get an accurate elapsed time reading. Also, this stopwatch only goes to 59 minutes and 59 seconds.

There's not much special about the 24 hour dial (upper left). It pretty much just lets you know if it is a.m. or p.m. It's basically a "military time" display.

After switching my hometown from Tokyo to Denver I've not had any problem getting the atomic sync. The solar battery charge has also always been strong. The second hand jumps 2 seconds when the charge is low and I have not had that happen once yet.

My favorite things about this watch:

It is super comfortable (the rubber strap is soft, supple and quite breathable); it's easy to read at a quick glance; it shows the day and date; it's solar powered; the atomic time keeping works great and makes transitions to and from daylight savings a breeze. The screwback case is very cool too. It is also easy to clean and keep looking like new. I have been wearing this watch nearly every day for about nine months now and it barely shows any signs of wear. I also like that this Casio doesn't have any stuff I won't use like a tachymeter or tide graph.

My not so favorite things about this watch:

There are two things I would like this watch to have that it doesn't: a light and a countdown timer. The neo-brite illumination on this Giez is okay but the supposedly same neo-brite paint lasts longer on my Casio WVQ600.

I have two least favorite things about this watch. 1) It is only +/-20 seconds per month accurate when it doesn't sync as opposed to many watches that are +/- 15 seconds per month accurate. When calibrating with the WVQ600 I have, which also features the atomic sync, I've noticed that by the end of the day this Giez will be running a half second fast. 2) The hands don't always line up perfectly with each hatch mark. I can't tell if this is a flaw or if it just looks that way because of the angle I am viewing it at. I’ve tried to use the “manual” correction function to adjust the hands but that hasn’t made much of a difference. It’s not as if the hands are way off by any means, they are only ever so slightly not perfectly lined up with each hatch mark around the dials. I don't have any real expensive watches, like an Omega, to compare the movement to. It's a minor complaint either way.

Comparison to the new Giez GS1300:

For several reasons most people will inevitably consider the new Giez 1300 to be a better watch, even if only marginally.

It has Multiband 6 instead of 5. Not a big deal to me since I don't see myself taking a trip to China any time soon. It has a 24 hour countdown timer, which to me is probably the coolest new function. The black version is Ion Plated, which sounds good but I don’t have any experience with IP. It is +/- 15 seconds per month accurate. Though it might seem minor, to me this is a significant and welcome improvement. This would be even more relevant for those outside the atomic signal range. The 1300 features Tough Movement. This is probably where the added accuracy comes from. With the 1100 there is a function where you can "manually" correct the movement of the different hands. The Tough Mvt. negates the need for being able to correct the movement yourself. This probably freed up button functions and made it possible to add the timer. The 1300 has a 24 hour stopwatch as opposed to the 1100's, which is only 60 minutes. I haven't seen it at work yet but by putting the function operations in one of the small dials the 1300 was able to let the large second hand operate as a second hand all of the time, not just when in chronograph mode. Also, this enhancement is supposed to make switching between the modes faster. I'm not sure how that affects switching between time zones. I think that having the second hand tick away is an aesthetic upgrade. One other difference is the screwback. The screwback on the 1300 looks quite a bit like other screwbacks while the one on the 1100 has a unique recessed design. Both look very nice and tough as nails.

I look forward to seeing a full review of the new 1300 from an actual owner. Particularly, I want to know more about the timer and the new mode sub-dial.

After comparing the now older Giez 1100 (which I own) to the newest Giez 1300 (using the info I’ve found online), I would still buy the 1100 all over again because the 1300 is much more expensive and because the silver 1100 just looks better in my opinion. I don't like the design/shape of the new case as much, even if it is slimmer. I prefer the circular bezel (where the G-Shock & Shock Resist writing is) that goes all the way around the case of 1100 as opposed to the squarish/beveled shape of the new 1300's bezel. The configuration of the resin on metal doesn't interplay as well to my eyes. I like having the resin go over the “nubs” at the 3 and 9 o’clock position, as it does on the 1100, and that it has the button functions written on the resin. On the 1300 those “nubs” are exposed metal and I can easily picture them getting scratched up. I also like the round buttons on the 1100 as opposed to the 1300’s square ones. And finally, I prefer the muted appearance of the face on the 1100. The 1300's face seems a little flashy and more colorful than I might like.

Conclusion:

This Giez 1100 is a great looking watch that works excellently, and that is super tough and has a rich feature set when compared to other analogs! I'm very pleased with it and I plan to keep it as long as it keeps working, which will probably be forever.

P.S. - I wouldn't wear this watch with a suit. However, I do regularly wear it to work (office setting) and to play (evenings and weekends) with no hesitation. I would strap on a different watch for dirty work in the shop or yard though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Very good review thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's not many people that kick off with a fairly detailed review. :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Congrats and welcome! The GS-1100 is a really nice looking watch. I had its older brother, the GS-1000D with a black IP coated bracelet. Had to sell it to make room for my new GS-1300. I agree with your impressions of the GS-1100 and its functions, and that the GS-1300 functions are very similar. I haven't really written a review of mine other than my first impressions here.

To answer your two questions, the function dial on the GS-1300 at the 9 position serves about the same purpose as the GS-1100's function dial at 3. The 24 hour CDT is pretty cool feature, it defaults to 23:59, but can be changed fairly easily by holding down a button to advance it's settings, but you can only advance the CDT and not reverse it.... so if you want to set the timer to something less than it is set currently you'll have to hold the advance button down as it cycles through all 23:59. Kinda a bummer but doesn't take too long. Digital is definitely easier there....

As far as looks, yeah the 1300 is much more a "dressed up" Giez. Much cleaner and smoother all around, and the old style is a bit more, well, aggressive, in the standard quirky way we love our G's to look. The 1300 is more conventional looking than most G's, and could probably be pulled off in a suit. I do like the 1300 a lot, it's a G that can go places I wouldn't wear other G's normally, but sometimes I do miss the grittier looks of my old GS-1000... dunno I may have to add another to the collection to get the best of both :)

Enjoy yours - the GS-1100 is a great watch... :-!

here's my 1300 -

my old 1000D (sold) -

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of adding a G-Shock but I don't really like digital displays. This looks like it might be perfect for me.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Nice review :-!. I don't really like the new design of the GIEZ I have to admit. The old ones looked so much better :-(.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the positive comments! I really like this forum and have been checking it out for a while now. There is a wealth of info to be found here and I enjoy reading about people's opinions and experiences with different watches. I figured it was about time for me to contribute a little.

@ JonL - Thanks for answering my questions. Nice pics by the way! And you described so well one of the great things about G-Shocks: that they aesthetically are "aggressive, in the standard quirky way we love our G's to look". I must admit that I love the way the Giez 1100 looks and feels substantial on the wrist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could anyone tell me what region of the world that GS1100 definitely will not be able to sync at? IE South America, South Africa, Russia, China, Australia, etc. Will all these regions require manual adjusting?

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Could anyone tell me what region of the world that GS1100 definitely will not be able to sync at? IE South America, South Africa, Russia, China, Australia, etc. Will all these regions require manual adjusting?
As it is multiband 6, it should be able to sync in most place in the North hemisphere, with the exception of a few countries like Russia.

You would probably not be able to sync in most countries in the Southern hemisphere.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Here is a map of the places you can sync. Hope this helps. Welcome to WUS, by the way. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts