WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been viewing this Atlantic Worldmaster in a local auction. Actually I already bidded on it, but then begun to look at that second hand. I have not seen this kind of shortish hand with big red arrow in these Atlantics before:

Atlantic1a.jpg
Atlantic2a.jpg

So I made a Google image search and found this discussion:
Andere: Atlantic Worldmaster Fake - Uhren aus aller Welt - WATCH LOUNGE FORUM

I don't read German, and Google translator doesn't do a very good job on this text, but I understand that the watch the OP shows is a Chinese fake, and it does look very much like the auction watch shown above. The second hand is similar, and so is the caseback, to which I didn't pay attention earlier. The letters are very thick compared to other Atlantic caseback images I have now looked at, and especially the logo with the fat and rounded hands looks quite clumsy. Actually, as I'm writing this post I'm getting more and more convinced that I made the right decision when I stopped bidding on this... or what do you think?

Hey, wait a second, what did I just see... when I looked at the caseback logo again... are my eyes deceiving me, or does it read "ORIGINAL atiantic", with an "i" instead of "l"?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Your eyesight serves you well- it is fake, and indeed the caseback says "atiantic".
Atlantic made, and still makes, really good watches- the old Worldmasters usually had an ETA or AS with 2 or 3 adjustments, and even at first glance these movements were finished to a quite high standard. Nowadays, it's ETA and Sellita (well, mostly Sellita).
The watch you've posted is an imitation of Worldmasters produced between the 1970s and the mid-1990s. The reissue, production of which has started early in the 2000s, had a display back.
I don't know if the fakers are desperate or what, because so far the only "better-stay-away" Atlantics were redials or frankens.
As to the second hand, you quite correctly have identified it as wrong- Worldmasters have featured a seconds hand with a red tip since the late 1950s, but this one is nothing like what I ever have seen in an Atlantic.
That said, this watch is a horrible fake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts