WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen a fake breitling emergency, but the transmitter is also fake/doesn't work.

do you know of a fake breitling emergency with a transmitter that works?

i doubt if there is any now, but in the future, if they can do it (a transmitter that works), that will be very dangerous. anybody can buy it and use it inappropriately.<|

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Is this a serious question ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is this a serious question ?
►i have seen a fake nokia cellular phone, looks real, works perfectly (you can talk, hear, sends messages, take pictures and plays mp3 music perfectly), but not as good as the orig. thing.

although, it is not as the orig thing, people still buy because it is relatively cheaper than the orig. thing.

►i saw a fake rolex, looks real, with a seiko movement inside, some with swiss eta movements, works perfectly (tells time) but not as good as the orig. thing.

the same is true for the rolex, although, it is not as the orig. thing, people still buy because it is relatively cheaper than the orig. thing.

►Now, if they can fake a cellular phone (which is a transmitter and a receiver) because it is a phone, why can't they fake a transmitter that sends a signal at 121.5 freq.?

►if the answer is: it is "illegal", faking a rolex is illegal, faking a nokia is illegal but it didn't stop them from making it.

►My conclusion is: if it will sell, they will make it. Maybe the reason why they are not making it is purely business/money. they (the fakers) seem to think that people will not buy a fake emergency. o|

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
►i have seen a fake nokia cellular phone, looks real, works perfectly (you can talk, hear, sends messages, take pictures and plays mp3 music perfectly), but not as good as the orig. thing.

although, it is not as the orig thing, people still buy because it is relatively cheaper than the orig. thing.

►i saw a fake rolex, looks real, with a seiko movement inside, some with swiss eta movements, works perfectly (tells time) but not as good as the orig. thing.

the same is true for the rolex, although, it is not as the orig. thing, people still buy because it is relatively cheaper than the orig. thing.

►Now, if they can fake a cellular phone (which is a transmitter and a receiver) because it is a phone, why can't they fake a transmitter that sends a signal at 121.5 freq.?

►if the answer is: it is "illegal", faking a rolex is illegal, faking a nokia is illegal but it didn't stop them from making it.

►My conclusion is: if it will sell, they will make it. Maybe the reason why they are not making it is purely business/money. they (the fakers) seem to think that people will not buy a fake emergency. o|
seems to me you'd still get billed for abusing it, real or fake.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems to me you'd still get billed for abusing it, real or fake.
dear no self control,

it will be very good if the abuser will be billed or even jailed, but since this is an fake emergency (fake but transmitter is working) , there is no way to trace the culprit. 1st, he didn't sign anything (no name and address), because he/she didn't buy it from an AD. 2nd, you can't trace him because there is no serial number on the watch also, since this is fake.

what if the abuser turns it on, leaves the watch (emergency) and walks away. how can you bill somebody you don't know?

this is just one situation we don't want to happen.:-|

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
dear no self control,

it will be very good if the abuser will be billed or even jailed, but since this is an fake emergency (fake but transmitter is working) , there is no way to trace the culprit. 1st, he didn't sign anything (no name and address), because he/she didn't buy it from an AD. 2nd, you can't trace him because there is no serial number on the watch also, since this is fake.

what if the abuser turns it on, leaves the watch (emergency) and walks away. how can you bill somebody you don't know?

this is just one situation we don't want to happen.:-|
you cannot stop people abusing things. they do. you can try to catch them. you can try to prosecute them. that is just the way things are.

having bought a car with an MOT that was fraudulently issued, i can tell you that the police, VOSA and trading standards made a complete hash of prosecuting the issuer. their name was on the fraudulent MOT, i had all the evience necessary to achieve a successful prosecution, including their home and business addresses, and after chasing it for months nothing happened.

so, please do not think for one minute that a few bits of paper and some evidence will get a conviction. the legal system does not work like that at all.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,826 Posts
I don't know but maybe if the signal was coming from the middle of the suburbs the SAR guys might be able to figure out that it was a prank call and treat it as such.

Second if the signal was coming from the middle of the ocean the SAR guys might be able to work out that it was real.

Third if the signal was coming from the middle of the ocean I reckon the signaler would be betting his ass that he has the real deal and not some $50 HK special market deal.

Fourth if the guy in the middle of the ocean did believe his $50 watch was going to save his ass then he gets everything he deserves. If it works he has the bargain of a life time. If doesn't then the $50 bet on a million to one long shot didn't pay, did it?

Fifth, postulating the improbably then arguing that its a terrible situation is a waste of time. Any serious airman, pilot or crew who rely on their instruments, go to great lengths to ascertain that the gear is to spec and functioning. If they don't, I think they know the odds and would be prepared to accept the consequences should it come to that. The margin for error is remarkable slim despite all of the safe flying statistics you might like to sight.

Sixth, breitling subcontracts the manufacture and maintenance of the transmitters to Dassault a first tier military systems supplier. I think they do this because its quite a feat of engineering to build a transmitter of this nature into the dimensions of the emergency. Something a fifth tier watch replicator might not want to go to the trouble to accomplish. Given that they would be messing with the aviation/military radio space its not something you would want to announce to the world as you " test" your units during production. Doesn't make much sense.

http://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/aviation.html?L=1

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
fake watches dont even tell time , at least not properly or with any accuracy,
the whole idea with fake anythings is about ripping people off with non functioning items so why would scammers even bother building in a working emergency transmitter ?

come on batg get real and use your common sense , its just never gonna happen. fake watches will never tell time as accurate as the real thing , fake anythings were made to scam people and make a profit and fake emergencies will never work to alert SAR teams

And this is the last I will say in any thread that remotely smells like troll

-Rene

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
if a faker could make an emergency transmitter (of whatever strength) that could fit in a fake watch they probably wouldn't be making fake watches, they'd be making miniature emergency transmitters to sell to proper watch manufacturers!

·
Registered
449 Posts
If some moron wanted to send a fake rescue signal, couldn't he just buy an EPIRB or similar personal emergency device. It would have the same "benefit" of sending out a false rescue signal. Kind of a stupid topic...Sorry.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Dear batg

I would hate to think of you loosing sleep due to your concerns of erroneous transmission on 121.50MHz from an EPIRB, fake or otherwise, and in particular to the statistical survey relating to same.

If you would allow me to direct you to FODCOM 8/2006 from the CAA at the following link
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/fod200608.pdf

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
if a faker could make an emergency transmitter (of whatever strength) that could fit in a fake watch they probably wouldn't be making fake watches, they'd be making miniature emergency transmitters to sell to proper watch manufacturers!
dear rik,
that is exactly what is happening to the electronic arena. brand names like nokia, let their products be manufactured by third parties in other countries like china because labor is cheap.

in-time, the third party manufacturers will know their products well enough that they will make a fake one.

if you open inside it, the technology that they are using is the same of the original one, but the materials used are not the same. sometimes, the materials used are the same, but it is still considered a fake, since they are copying the brand.

now, since they are copying the receiver and the transmitter of the phone (let's assume, nokia), are the fakers now in the position to sell their receiver and transmitter to other phone companies, like sony ericsson?

lastly, it is a good thing that breitling is having their transmitter made in france and not in china, because if they do, then someday, fake transmitters will be around shops in hongkong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If some moron wanted to send a fake rescue signal, couldn't he just buy an EPIRB or similar personal emergency device. It would have the same "benefit" of sending out a false rescue signal. Kind of a stupid topic...Sorry.
dear goldenbear,
i totally agree with you that this is a stupid topic. now, this is just a conversation/forum, if you don't like the idea or the topic. just read and then don't join the forum. it is as simple as that.

when conversing to other people or friends, should the conversation always be formal/serious? of course, not. this is just one of those conversation that is not formal/serious.:-!

in real life situations/conversations, if you talk to a person/people, and during the conversation, you find that the topic is stupid, you just walk away. if you find it (the topic) stupid, why join the conversation?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
fake watches dont even tell time , at least not properly or with any accuracy,
the whole idea with fake anythings is about ripping people off with non functioning items so why would scammers even bother building in a working emergency transmitter ?

come on batg get real and use your common sense , its just never gonna happen. fake watches will never tell time as accurate as the real thing , fake anythings were made to scam people and make a profit and fake emergencies will never work to alert SAR teams

And this is the last I will say in any thread that remotely smells like troll

-Rene
dear rene,
really rene? fake watches don't tell time accurately? they use quartz technology and quartz fake or not, usually tell time correctly.

now, some fakes are using seiko movements inside and some fakes uses eta movements, does this mean that since it is a fake (but the fake is using a seiko movement inside), it will not tell time accurately?

yes, rene. i agree with you that common sense will tell me that it will not happen (having a fake transmitter). fake things were made to scam people and make a profit, this is very true, they are here to scam people and make a profit. But the problem is: people buy these things (the fakes) knowingly that they are fakes. it all boils down to profit, if the fakers think they will make money making a fake, they will make one (a fake), because people still buy them.

maybe, the fakers are thinking that the public/people will buy not a fake emergency, that's why they are not making it or the 2nd reason would be; they haven't figure out how to make one (copying the technology) just yet.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Originally posted by batg

dear goldenbear,
i totally agree with you that this is a stupid topic.

Errrr...excuse me batg!! Who started this "stupid topic"?:rodekaart

What is your point here?

Any chance that this thread could be closed as it's author has just admitted to it being "stupid"?

Moderators, as usual, I'll respect your decision either way, :thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.