WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm asking for "a friend" here.
He somehow found this watch in a small stream in a remote area of Norway.
Hard to say why anybody would have been there in the first place - how and why such a watch would be lost there is even harder to say.

Reckon it's fake.
What you think?

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,039 Posts
Well, your friend has found a lost or stolen Breitling Emergency serial number 6099. The breitling service web site returns the correct service cost information for the model/serial number. Now to find out who it is registered to and see if it can be returned to the rightful owner. You can contact breitling to see if they can give you that information. Be aware that these instruments are registered at the time of sale because they interact with rescue services so the owners details are held in a database.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
yes it is real and it is more than likely a lost watch as you can clearly see the one side of the bracelet is off the case. I would follow our moderators instructions on how to return it to the rightful owner. That watch has been well used/loved and I am sure they would appreciate you getting it back to them. good luck

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Wow. So it’s real? Refreshing thread if so.
I don't think there were any credible counterfeits of this model. It would be way too much trouble.

Unlikely that Breitling would provide owner info, but they will have a way to get it back to the owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, your friend has found a lost or stolen Breitling Emergency serial number 6099.
Wow. That's - rare, I guess. :oops:
I suppose it will be looked at by a watchmaker now, to get it verified first.
The who, how and why in this little mystery could be interesting.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Wow. That's - rare, I guess. :oops:
I suppose it will be looked at by a watchmaker now, to get it verified first.
The who, how and why in this little mystery could be interesting.
The only correct and ethical thing to do is to contact Breitling with the serial number. It isn't yours to take to a watchmaker.

If the watch turns out to be stolen - and you do anything else but contact Breitling - then you may be charged with possession of stolen goods - a felony in that price range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the watch turns out to be stolen - and you do anything else but contact Breitling - then you may be charged with possession of stolen goods - a felony in that price range.
Calm down, no felony is done 🤣
Old watch found, first interestin thing to do is to verify if it is junk or real, and take further actions from there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It would be interesting to know what the Norwegian law says about such situations. In France, as far as I know, an object found in this manner would become the finder's property after one year and one day without claim.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
The right thing to do is obvious. I suspect the OP will disappear if he chooses the other option.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The right thing to do is obvious. I suspect the OP will disappear if he chooses the other option.
Might be a little less obvious, though, if for instance the watch was insured and the owner already got money from his insurance company for his loss. I'd be curious to know if this could possibly be checked. Otherwise returning the watch to its prior owner could in fact be unwillingly assisting in an insurance scam.

In any case the OP's country certainly has a lawful way of dealing with found objects, which should be followed and might be different from what people in other parts of the world are used to.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Otherwise returning the watch to its prior owner could in fact be unwillingly assisting in an insurance scam.
I honestly don't give a crap what the OP does but let's go with occam's razor here and stick with what has most likely happened rather suggesting a highly unlikely scenario.

Furthermore, what sort of country, aside from a completely lawless one, lacks laws about returning lost, stolen or otherwise missing property to its rightful owner?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, you are probably right. Having a 4000 USD watch insured does sound like a highly unlikely scenario. Who would ever do that?

·
Premium Member
Wolbrook Professional modded to handwind only
209 Posts
Great find! Please keep this thread updated. It'll be a fun adventure to find the owner. Heavy-duty watch karma and a very cool story for putting it back in the rightful owner's hand!

Hi!
I'm asking for "a friend" here.
He somehow found this watch in a small stream in a remote area of Norway.
Hard to say why anybody would have been there in the first place - how and why such a watch would be lost there is even harder to say.

Reckon it's fake.
What you think?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Yes, you are probably right. Having a 4000 USD watch insured does sound like a highly unlikely scenario. Who would ever do that?
There's no arguing with someone like you because you interpret words through your owned warped lens rather than going for clarity. I'll reply as you might - Anyone who insures a watch is definitely running an insurance scam. Right...

Get a grip, dude. Argue the actual points from a place of reason rather than playing the sophist.
You find a watch in the woods that's clearly pricey and bears a unique number that was registered to the original owner at the time of purchase.
The first - and right - thing to do would be to contact the manufacturer with the number or the local police. It would not be to take the watch to a watchmaker to authenticate it.

But heck, you do you. You sound like a real upstanding type.:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The end of the story...

First - laws are obviously different around the world. I had to google Norwegian law myself here now, what to do with lost property.
In short;
For valuables that has been in the ground for some time, where there is no owner to be found, the value is supposed to be divided on the finder and the owner of the ground.
If you find lost property you shall try, within reasonable efforts, to find the owner. This is based on some trust, but common custom is you do your best!
The owner will normally pay a "finder's salery", not regulated but can be 10%.
If no owner is found, the item is to be handed in to the police. They keep it for three months, then it is sold at auction or destructed.

Now, about this watch.
It is indeed real! And the owner is found, because of FaceBook.
Owner lost it, and it has now rested 10 years (!) in a ditch before found by my friend. He is thrilled to get it back.
The watch was bought in 1999, price was 42k NOK (ca 5300 USD).

Happy end ;)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The end of the story...

First - laws are obviously different around the world. I had to google Norwegian law myself here now, what to do with lost property.
In short;
For valuables that has been in the ground for some time, where there is no owner to be found, the value is supposed to be divided on the finder and the owner of the ground.
If you find lost property you shall try, within reasonable efforts, to find the owner. This is based on some trust, but common custom is you do your best!
The owner will normally pay a "finder's salery", not regulated but can be 10%.
If no owner is found, the item is to be handed in to the police. They keep it for three months, then it is sold at auction or destructed.

Now, about this watch.
It is indeed real! And the owner is found, because of FaceBook.
Owner lost it, and it has now rested 10 years (!) in a ditch before found by my friend. He is thrilled to get it back.
The watch was bought in 1999, price was 42k NOK (ca 5300 USD).

Happy end ;)
Happy end indeed.

In a case of an item like this, where the watch would be registered, reasonable efforts would certainly include writing an email to the manufacturer.

I'd be curious to hear how you found the owner via Facebook.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts