WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one was found in Russia in the early 90's. Knowing that the Chinese never produce single pieces, there is a big chance that many more of these are in circulation on eBay and so on.
Beside the movement, a typical clue or give-away is the undersized crown, which is less visible in a fake Raketa than in a fake Komandirskie, but still quite obvious.

Analog watch Watch Clock Fashion accessory Wall clock

Fashion accessory Metal Clock Home accessories

Fashion accessory Watch Pocket watch Clock Number

Auto part

Fashion accessory Jewellery Pendant Locket Metal

Reactions: vpn and skapig

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A contemporary of the first fake Komandirskies perhaps?
I guess so. This being said, the Chinese movement isn't that bad either!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Interesting find, Emoscambio! Apparently the fake Big Zero looks quite like the original one, until the differences are spotted. I wonder if it has the same size of the original model, or if it's smaller.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Interesting! I note that they haven't actually branded it "Raketa".

The case is slightly different in finish, especially the back - looks like a grainy casting. Also, the numbers are very slightly different - the tails of the 6, 9 and 3 are cut off very squarely and their ends are nearly horizontal; on the original, the ends of the tails are more rounded and are cut off at angles nearer to 45 degrees.

Flattering, I guess, that this basic Soviet watch was considered worth faking!

Paul

·
20,256 Posts
It would be interesting to examine more closely. Being from the early 1990s, this watch is more likely to be from Hong Kong, based on the design of the caseback. Thus the case is most likely cast in brass or aluminium. Compare that with some other pseudo-Soviet watches of a similar vintage that appear to have been made using parts from one of the traditional Chinese watch factories and have an all-steel case with screw-down back. Another very similar product from that period is where a genuine Raketa big-case watch has been modified with a card dial in one of the popular Glasnost styles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.