1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
Rolex Pioneer? Must have been the Explorer's predecessor. No crown on the crown either.

~JB

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Not sure how qualified I am to comment on this as I'm still a newbie, but I'll give you my opinion and you can do with it what you will.

I don't think this watch is exactly what it seems. It may well be a genuine Rolex, but it's been refurbished (IMO). As far as I can see, the Rolex Pioneer was manufactured primarily for the Canadian market in the 1920's and this dial just looks too good for that age. I'm not sure the word "Rolex" should appear on the dial either. Kind of like the Tudor.

Obviously the strap is new.

On the other hand, to my uneducated eye, the movement looks right.

Check out this site for another look at a Pioneer. One that's more what I'd expect for a 90 year old watch.

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page10/rolexoysterpioneer.html

I also think it's worth asking about this one in the Vintage Watches forum. They probably know the older stock much better than we do.

Jeannie

·
Banned
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think this watch is exactly what it seems. It may well be a genuine Rolex, but it's been refurbished (IMO).

Jeannie
Yes, seller claims it is a redial and must have reproduction hands too.

Certainly looks great but that work takes a major hit on value for the piece not being original. It would be a neat wearing watch though, just not a collectible anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to this whole thing, and figured that this thread might be the best place for my query:

I've seen a Daytona stainless steel, which does not have a moving second sub-dial. It has a chrono with a sweep second hand on the main dial, and minute and hour chrono sub-dials. Is there any such thing as a Daytona that does not have a second sub-dial? Is it possible that this is an older Daytona without a second sub-dial? Before I shell out serious money, I'd like to know if this guy is for real....

Thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to this whole thing, and figured that this thread might be the best place for my query:

I've seen a Daytona stainless steel, which does not have a moving second sub-dial. It has a chrono with a sweep second hand on the main dial, and minute and hour chrono sub-dials. Is there any such thing as a Daytona that does not have a second sub-dial? Is it possible that this is an older Daytona without a second sub-dial? Before I shell out serious money, I'd like to know if this guy is for real....

Thanks.
I would say...stay far far away...:roll:

·
Registered
891 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts