WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
OK.....I have had a seriously irritating morning. I was searching the web for a pic of a watch and ended up at a web forum for people who are "replica enthusiasts". I had no idea that there were people like this. It was like watchuseek for fakes. There were discussions on where to buy fake boxes and fake warranty cards that had my blood pressure going through the roof.

I was reading a thread about things "not to do" and along with things like taking your fake watch to an AD, it said not to discuss your watch or post pics on legite watch sites. It cited problems with their suppliers getting banned from paypal and other issues resulting from this. Are there things we can do to hinder the sale of these things? I know that the industry is huge and almost impossible to stop, but if it were possible to at least piss some people off it would make me feel better. ;-)

They have a dealer's section. Is there somewhere to report dealers of fake merchandise? Maybe I am just spinning my wheels here. I guess I have come to accept the occasional fake floating around, but this was just too much.

link removed by moderator[URL]

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There is a lot of money in fake watches and there will always be dealers selling them, as soon as their sites get shut down they will have new ones up. Just dont buy them.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a lot of money in fake watches and there will always be dealers selling them, as soon as their sites get shut down they will have new ones up. Just dont buy them.
Just don't buy them is easier said than done for many people. I will only buy from an AD or someone on this forum with good references. Most people would do a search on the web for the watch they are looking for and end up finding a sham website or a fake on an e-bay listing. Most people have no idea that there is even such a thing as authorized dealers for watches.

The public isn't even safe buying from a retailer like Costco. It would be very easy to purchase a genuine watch at Costco and then return a fake that gets put back on display. It is very unfortunate that such a high level of product knowledge is required to purchase a watch.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I honestly can't understand how people can take pride in collecting knock-off watches.

I say we all join their forums and post threads about how bad/ridiculous it is to buy knock-offs. They can ban us all at once :-d

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just don't buy them is easier said than done for many people. I will only buy from an AD or someone on this forum with good references. Most people would do a search on the web for the watch they are looking for and end up finding a sham website or a fake on an e-bay listing. Most people have no idea that there is even such a thing as authorized dealers for watches.

The public isn't even safe buying from a retailer like Costco. It would be very easy to purchase a genuine watch at Costco and then return a fake that gets put back on display. It is very unfortunate that such a high level of product knowledge is required to purchase a watch.
Your question was 'are there things we can do to hinder the sales of these things', apart from not buying them there is nothing YOU can do. People who buy from these sites know they are fakes and dont mind. People who google Rolex and buy a $400 submariner and dont realize its a fake are idiots but i think most poeple know there are AD's especialy people buying high end watches.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I continually see people bidding up fake Omega's and Rolex's on e-bay. A guy buys a fake Planet Ocean for $1600 on e-bay and thinks he got a bargain.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Your question was 'are there things we can do to hinder the sales of these things', apart from not buying them there is nothing YOU can do. People who buy from these sites know they are fakes and dont mind. People who google Rolex and buy a $400 submariner and dont realize its a fake are idiots but i think most poeple know there are AD's especialy people buying high end watches.
Spot on.
There are honest collectors that get scammed, and that's unfortunate but it's a miniscule number comparatively.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
What really disgusts me is that on one replica forum, other guys are congratulating other members for buying a fake. DISGUSTING!
I wonder what they do if someone posts up a GENUINE watch they bought? :-d

1 - 20 of 74 Posts