WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Falling in love with Bronze. What do you recommend?

Tags
bronze
20K views 163 replies 70 participants last post by  garydusa 
#1 ·
So I've tried on a few and I've fallen in love with Bronze for my next watch. I have my eye the Oris Carl Brashear or the Tudor Black Bay Bronze. Curious if anyone has either and their impressions. Also if there are some other bronze pieces I might be overlooking, I'd be interested in hearing about them as well. Thanks!

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a CWard Trident, so I'm considering other makers, but yes, it's a great watch!

Seriously tempted by the Oris. I currently don't own any of their watches and the blue/bronze combo is stunning.
Get the Oris if you can.

On a smaller budget, I would recommend to look at Archimede. They have their pilot, marine and diver's watches with bronze cases, too. The Prometheus Poseidon is no longer available, unfortunately.

View attachment 12993089
Same here. I never actually considered bronze until I saw that watch and tried it on. That was the one what got me on this bronze kick.
Bronze watches are not generally my thing. That said, I tried on the Tudor BBB at my AD and I was very impressed. That watch could almost convert me to a bronze lover.
Do you mean you think it's just a trend? I thought that about Rose gold, but it seems to be here to stay.
Although I like the look of bronze watches, I just don't think they'll stand the test of time. It seems the watches will be dated not too far into the future. I'll just have to admire it from a far on others.
I see they now have a Bronze Pro that's already Patina'd and with brown strap. Really nice. For my money it's right up there with the Oris at this point in terms of the blue/bronze combination.
I have a host of bronzers and the Chris Ward C60 is by far my favourite one.
36 is a little small for me, but I'm going to look into what they introduced at Basel. Thanks!
I'm sure you saw them, but Oris introduced some new bronze dress watch models at Baselworld. Looking very interesting, and a decent size (36mm I believe) as well.
Love the dial on that. Does the Brass patina the same way bronze does?
This one is brass rather than bronze, but completely different than anything else out there that I've seen.

View attachment 12994169
Nice but looks chunky on the wrist. How does it wear?
ARMIDA A1 45mm Bronze 1000m

I actually like the size. I'm a larger guy and can wear a 42mm comfortably. Thanks for the shots.
The Bronzey is my favorite BB. Picked one up in October and have worn it extensively since then. It's impeccably finished and keeps phenomenal time. I cannot say enough about the Tudor MT56 series movements.

Performance review here:https://www.watchuseek.com/f23/new-tudor-movement-vs-omega-grand-seiko-winner-4556551.html

The only caveat I encourage you to consider is the size (if you haven't tried it on yet). This is not a smallest watch, a wears a fair sight larger than the 41mm BBs. Here are some comparison shots for perspective:

View attachment 12995197

View attachment 12995209

View attachment 12995203

View attachment 12995207

View attachment 12995213
This would be my first bronze piece and probably my only one. I can't see having multiple bronze watches, so I want to get this one right.
I'm sure there will be something from Basil that will strike a chord with you as well, no hurry, remember you have the power, you are the consumer. Both of the ones that you mentioned are super sweet, I myself like the Tudor. If I could I would definitely get the Tudor. Personally I think that all collectors should have at least 1 Bronze timepiece in their collection, I'm still working on mine. Keep us posted, please. :-!
Sorry! I know bronze can be a divisive subject among the crowd so I wanted to get some different opinions. What model were you looking at?
This is going to be pic heavy, so viewer beware. These are some pics of my beloved Helson Shark Diver. I since have sold it. Something that I will forever regret, it had the Swiss Movement as well. Kept time so accurate that you would not believe. See, now you did it. I am shopping for a bronze timepiece once again. Darn you! :-d:-d:-d
I wondered that also. Could it have something to do with the strength of the bronze? They also almost always seem to be dive watches with very few exceptions.
Is there a particular reason why bronze pieces tend to be quite chunky? With the BB for example they made the decision to increase the case size of the bronze relative to steel, I wonder why.
Just got my pre-order the for second wave of Halios Seaforths. Got Pastel Blue. I already have a Laguna II also, so I think I'm good with Halios for now.
If you don't mind used and can find one, Halios made the Tropik B in bronze with several different dial colours and two dial variations.

View attachment 12996415
At this point, I'm still leaning towards the Tudor. I love everything about it. Size, shape, movement, color scheme. I am curious to see what else is out there in since I will probably only have 1 bronze watch in my collection. That being said, there were some VERY interesting options people have proposed. The Wempe is absolutely stunning but a little out of my price range.
Bronze is just like Steel cases in that they are in every price bracket, and case size.

So firstly pick your price range and then case size.

Check out the "My bronze diver addiction" thread for hundreds of fantastic watches to choose from.

#4 ·

I too greatly enjoy my bronze Tudor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Stromboli
#89 ·
Get the Oris if you can.

On a smaller budget, I would recommend to look at Archimede. They have their pilot, marine and diver's watches with bronze cases, too. The Prometheus Poseidon is no longer available, unfortunately.

View attachment 12993089
Amazing watch, especially for the money. Wish I got my hands on a bronze version, but I'll settle for my stainless one

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Steinhart Ocean One Bronze is what I used to scratch the itch.
:-!

I think their Marine Chronograph is pretty brilliant, too, in the way it looks like a traditional deck watch with small seconds and power reserve, while it's in fact a chronograph.

However, as far as I know they use aluminum bronze instead of CuSn6 or CuSn8, so these cases won't develop the patina the more reddish / brownish colored bronze watches are so famous for.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#8 · (Edited)
I , too , have been smitten by bronze.

For a faster forming,more dramatic patina look at Cusn6/8 bronze. I've had this Zoretto since December and it is progressing nicely.

For a more slow and subtle patina the aluminum bronze is the way to go. This is a bit older than the Zoretto and uses aluminum bronze.

IMHO buying a "pre-patinaed" watch or (gasp) forcing a patina with all sorts of funky food stuffs takes away the whole bronze experience. I would not recommend bronze for compulsive case polishers of those who like to keep their watches looking "pristine"

#28 ·
IMHO buying a "pre-patinaed" watch or (gasp) forcing a patina with all sorts of funky food stuffs takes away the whole bronze experience. I would not recommend bronze for compulsive case polishers of those who like to keep their watches looking "pristine"
I know exactly what you mean... I'm one of those! It's been tough, but I love it and wear it a lot!

I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned...

Green and Bronze just go together!

#12 ·
Such an easy watch to wear, rock solid in-house movement and Bulang & Sons make great straps specific for this watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#24 ·
They also released Diver Sixty-Fives in steel with bronze bezels in both 40 mm and 36 mm. If I didn't already have a Diver Sixty-Five Topper Edition and a Vostok Amphibia 50th Anniversary in Bronze then I would probably get my feet wet with the new bronze bezeled 65 in 40 mm. It looks like it has the Movember dial to boot!
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/oris-divers-sixty-five-bronze-bezel-introducing

Reactions: jthole
#30 · (Edited)
A few "affordables", present and past--Gruppo Gamma, Maranez, Carpenter. Had a few Anonimo that I will dig up later. The 40mm Carpenter (actually brass), Sapphire crystal, huge dial/slim bezel, tiny date window, is the only one still in my rotation--a truly great looking watch in the flesh, keeps perfect time, and is the cheapest of my current herd--go figure.

Attachments

#39 ·
I tried so badly to love the chunky Bronze Watch, but in the end I sold all of them. There are three that I would still consider, and each in its own price bracket. Mind you, I've only tried on the most expensive.

1. Christopher Ward Trident bronze
2. Oris Carl Brashear
3. Zenith special pilot bronze

One thing I think these each have in common is that they are not quite as thick as the others. The pilot is obviously its own case shape and size, but the two divers, based on pictures I've seen, are much more sleek and slim looking on the wrist. I happen to think the Trident looks as good are almost as good as the Carl Brashear, and since the price is significantly lower, I'd probably go in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#40 ·
@ Tony Riccairdi

Rose gold watches have been around for generations. Although they've come in and out of more and less popularity, it's still been fairly consistent.

Bronze watches are nowhere near that. Nor do they have the decades of continuous use among watch brands. They are the very definition of trendy.

I don't dislike bronze watches. I like the look of many of them. Quite a bit really. I just can't see myself buying one that could look dated in a few years.

I guess that's part of the difference between something that looks modern and another that looks classic.

I suppose if I were looking to have a large collection again I'd take a flyer. But I want to choose watches that will stand the test of time. Possibly decades from now. You know, like when I'm in my 70s and way too old to pull off a young man's watch but don't want a watch that says "hey you bought that 20 years ago? Didn't you?". LoL

#44 ·
Look at these trendy companies, methinks it's more than just a " trendy " fad.. OceanicTime: a new Bronze [DIVER] Age

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Thanks for refreshing me on the article. Reading it aging only reinforces my opinions. The Royal Oak making one makes perfect sense since the Genta design was inspired by a diver's helmet. AP can afford to make the watch and sell it to a few.

Like I said, and I'll repeat again and agin, I like the look of the bronze watches. I just feel they're a trend that won't be around forever. I will say, however, they probably will last longer than other fads. Although not indefinitely.

I've seen trends and fads come and go. And come and go. And come and go again...

When bronze watch trend lasts as long and stays as popular as the luxury steel sports watches have since 1972 (46 years), then I'll start believing it. LoL

#43 ·
Funnily enough yesterday I was pondering on here why bronze pieces tend always to be in larger sizes. Then in the evening low and behold I see the new bronze Oris Big Crown Pointer Date introduced at Baselworld. It's 36mm, which is a size I love, and that bronze plus green dial combo seen elswhere looks great in the pics. I am severely tempted by this.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

#50 ·
Funnily enough yesterday I was pondering on here why bronze pieces tend always to be in larger sizes. Then in the evening low and behold I see the new bronze Oris Big Crown Pointer Date introduced at Baselworld. It's 36mm, which is a size I love, and that bronze plus green dial combo seen elswhere looks great in the pics. I am severely tempted by this.
I've always liked this model(indeed, the watch that started WUS), now in bronze and 36mm?? Sign me up...

#48 ·
Tony: You might also want to consider a coupple of things between te Carl Brashear and the Tudor BB. The Tudor is aluminum composite while the Oris is Tin composite, the Tin composite will develop a classic patina while the Tudor will age differently. The other thing are the bezels... The Oris will age evenly while the Tudor will age everywhere but the bezel, which will look the same with time.

It's all a matter of taste, I belive the Tudor is a better watch than Oris all around but in the case of a Bronze watch, I went with the Carl Brashear.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.