WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this Kickstarter on the "Like this so got that" thread, but am interested to hear the community's views on this one.

Disclaimer - I'm a backer of the Kickstarter but otherwise not affiliated with them.

I've been checking out the Tudor Pelagos recently, but could never justify the cost relative to likely wrist time. There are also a few design elements that I don't like and prevent me from pulling the trigger (looking at you, dial dissertation).

Credit: Time & Tide

Then this was posted on another forum: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ened-titanium-500m-swiss-eta-bgw9/description

Credits: Fanos / Relative Time

It seems to tick all the boxes for a fraction of the price, without being (IMO) a straight-up copy:
  • Grade 2 titanium case and bracelet (but milled steel clasp)
  • ETA 2824-2 movement
  • Ceramic lumed bezel insert (BGW9 Super-LumiNova)
  • 41.75mm
  • 48mm lug to lug
  • 13.5mm thick
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Lumed crown
There are some things I prefer over the Tudor as well - e.g. date at 6, no "wall o' text" on the dial, absence of minute hashes on the bezel.

At roughly USD490, it seems a steal.

In fact, the price is the main thing that is giving me pause (well, that and the fact that it is a first project for Fanos, but that's kind of par for the course on KS). I'm always conscious what is practically achievable price-wise for these micros and kickstarter projects (and can thank DocVail for his many insights into this).

Giving me some comfort is the fact that a few reviewers have had "hands on" a prototype, so something, at least, exists. The reviews are also pretty complimentary - Relative Time's review (again, no affiliation) is particularly good IMHO:

What say you - yay or nay? Decent wtach in its own right or too much of an homage?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Probably because I follow too many Seiko mod guys on IG, but it looks like a Seiko mod - I think its the hands...

When I hear "Pelagos" or Tudor really - I think of snowflake hands...

You brought up DocVail - did you consider his "Nacken" pieces - they're more close to a Pelagos than this.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting- which Seikos?

Re. the Nacken, and absolutely no criticism of Doc or NTH, the snowflake hands are inextricably linked in my mind to Tudor.

So the Nacken is a bit too close to the Pelagos for me. As weird as it sounds, if I'm going for Pelagos-lite, I'd like something that is a bit more removed from that which distinguishes the original.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No particular Seiko - just any case with a 3 o clock crown. Put in a Tudor esq dial with plongeu hands and flat matte ceramic bezel, and there you go...

However, this watch does have more going for itself with Titanium and an ETA - price aint bad either. So if what you're looking for is "a bit more removed" then I would say this Fanos is a good alternative.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I actually really like this. If it were 40mm and thinner, I’d jump in. That dark greyish-blue render is super appealing, maybe the best I’ve seen yet. Nobody else seems to be interested in doing that color. And titanium? Icing in the cake.

...but alas, 42mm diameter and 13.5mm thick is just too big for me.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Interesting- which Seikos?

Re. the Nacken, and absolutely no criticism of Doc or NTH, but the Tudor hands are inextricably linked in my mind to Tudor.

So the Nacken is a bit too close to the Pelagos for me. As weird as it sounds, if I'm going for Pelagos-lite, I'd like something that is a bit more removed from what distinguishes the original.

I'd grab a Raven Trekker.... provided me with a similar vibe. If you want to stay with Ti try the RZE watches.

I think $490 is too much to test out on a KS 1st run especially when the deal is "a steal" as you put it. I'd rather go with a proven product. Good luck whatever you decide.

Regarding the specific watch itself, i think it is Pelagos-lite but it doesn't work in its favor here. Its obvious what the design inspiration was but just feels like its missing something.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd grab a Raven Trekker.... provided me with a similar vibe. If you want to stay with Ti try the RZE watches.

I think $490 is too much to test out on a KS 1st run especially when the deal is "a steal" as you put it. I'd rather go with a proven product. Good luck whatever you decide.

Regarding the specific watch itself, i think it is Pelagos-lite but it doesn't work in its favor here. Its obvious what the design inspiration was but just feels like its missing something.
I actually own one of the RZE (or Reise, as was) Resolutes, which has got me interested in titanium watches again. Great watch!

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Have you considered the NTH Thresher? It was partially inspired by the Pelagos, but doesn't have the snowflake hands.

Available in black or blue. with or without a date at 6.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
On the fence about the Fanos... I'm a sucker for Titanium divers... I've almost backed it several times this week.

Not sure it's going to be funded though. I think it's bad timing for Kickstarter at the moment. The Axios Pathfinder went like gangbusters and there's also the Pacific Explorer by Coast Watches which is doing very well... and also the Matterhorn Divemaster which is a bargain 9015 diver.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you considered the NTH Thresher? It was partially inspired by the Pelagos, but doesn't have the snowflake hands.

Available in black or blue. with or without a date at 6.

View attachment 15853463 View attachment 15853464
I have! But of the 2K1 models I lean more towards the Swiftsure.... Almost bought one but am now holding out for the V2 Azores Blue Curaçao. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the fence about the Fanos... I'm a sucker for Titanium divers... I've almost backed it several times this week.

Not sure it's going to be funded though. I think it's bad timing for Kickstarter at the moment. The Axios Pathfinder went like gangbusters and there's also the Pacific Explorer by Coast Watches which is doing very well... and also the Matterhorn Divemaster which is a bargain 9015 diver.
Yeah backers have been slow compared to other launches. Still, it's about 50% there with a month to go...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
FANOS Osimiri :)
2 Posts
Gotta thank Baldrick, he's one of our staunchest supporters online 😄

What he describes is what we were aiming for with the Osimiri. A simple but effective design with great features and at a great value.

We will be releasing some more wrist shots on "models" pretty soon, that might give you guys a better idea of how the watch resembles on different wrists, and with different straps.

Feel free to ask us any questions you might have guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts