WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
13,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Suunto fanatics... lets start a Suunto FAQ thread.

Im not quite sure how to work this, so maybe if you have a good answer to a commonly asked question you could post the question and the answer under this thread.

Then we could all kind of scour it from time to time.

Lets see how this works.

I'll start!
Question: Is it normal for the back light on my Core to flicker when in the compass mode?

Answer: Yes! :) Many people have reported this. The general though is that its a power saving technology. Many users of other models have reported seeing this as well. But it seems to be the most noticeable on the Core models.

If I look very closely I can see it on my Yachtsman and my X Lander.

Now you know.... and knowledge is power!

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: Is it normal for my altitude reading to change when I haven't changed altitudes?

Answer: Suunto's that measure altitude do so by utilizing changes in barometric pressure. When the weather is changing, so does the barometric pressure that surrounds you. Thus, yes, the altitude can and will change values if the weather is also changing.

The Core and a few other Suunto models allow you to "lock" the altitude for more accurate barometer readings. The Core also has an "auto" function that senses when you are moving or stationary, and enters barometric or altitude mode accordingly. This helps to keep altitude drift to a minimum, but it still can occur.

The solution is to set your altitude to a known reference point before a hike, etc. and perhaps at the summit. This will maximize your ability to get accurate altitude readings along your hike.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: Why does my temperature reading on my Core / Vector, etc. read about 10 degrees higher than the actual ambient temperature?

Answer: Because it is on your wrist. Take it off, wait approx 15 minutes, and you will get an accurate reading.

· Registered
13,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question: Are the Vector and the X Lander the same watch?

Answer: Yes and no. The Guts are basically the same as are the features, but the cases, crystals and straps are very different. The X Lander has an aluminum case, mineral crystal, and sevearl different strap options. Also, the case is different. A Vector strap will not work for an X Lander.

Now you know... and knowledge is power!

· Registered
13,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question: What is up with the limited Water Resistance on the Suuntos?

Answer: Yep, many people believe the WR is a little low for an adventure watch on the Wristop Computer line... But then again, these are field watches. I have been swimming, snorkeling and played in all kinds of water in every one of my Suuntos. I have never had a problem with any of them.

I wouldn't dive with one... but for normal activities (and I even shower with mine) they will do just fine.

Many people believe Suunto under-rates its WR ratings to cover them selves... Others believe their is a GREAT misunderstanding regarding WR in general...

Check out THIS LINK by our very own Joakim Argen

Now you know... and knowledge is power!

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: What is the battery life of the new Core watches?

Answer: From various members of this newsgroup, the average battery life is approx 10-14 months.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: I have read many negative reviews of the Core. I was considering this watch, but now I am not so sure. What is the real story?

Answer: This is really a two part answer.

a: The first batch of Cores had an issue with batteries pre-maturely draining. If you have a Core with serial number that begins with "07" your watch was manufactured in the first batch. Since that time, Suunto has released a subsequent batch of Cores and has addressed this issue, along with a firmware version upgrade. For the record, I personally own an 07 Core, and have had no issues with the battery.

b: Just as in all devices, especially ones with this amount of complexity, there are bound to be some manufacturing issues just as a matter of %. Unfortunately, you will hear more about these issues on forums, as opposed to the 10's of thousands of Core's that have been sold that never "make headlines" because they work just fine. In otherwords, it is more likely to hear about negative news about a new product then it is to hear about the vast majority of positive feedback.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: How do you calibrate the compass on the Core. I can't seem to get a "Calibration Complete" message after performing the steps.

Answer: If you hold the Core level and rotate your body 360 degrees, twice, (or three times if you wish) you will have re-calibrated the compass on the Core. There is no "calibration complete" message that results from this procedure. It helps to rotate your body approx once every 15 seconds. Be sure to take into account declination settings to read true north vs. magnetic north.

Moderators note:
See #14 in this thread as well. It has been reported with a 2-3 models (possibly after an exposure to a strong magnetic or electrical field) that the compass loses its pointer. In that case post #15 will walk you through a "re-boot" of your wrist top computer :)

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: Should I get a negative display face or a positive display?

Answer: Purely personal preference. Negative display faces, while having more of a "cool factor" are more difficult to read in dimly lit situations. The backlight will enable you to see the watch display more clearly in these situations. Postive display faces are easier to read, but are less aesthetically appealing to some people.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: I can't use my Core / Vector / X-lander, etc. watch as a flashlight at night, or, the backlight on Suunto ABC watches is not as bright as my Casio. Do I have a defective watch?

Answer: No. Suunto purposefully makes their watches to not have as brilliant backlight in order to save battery life, and to minimize effecting your natural night vision capabilities. Bright backlights consume battery life, and can affect your natural ability to see in the dark once you turn the backlight off.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Question: What is sea level barometric pressure and how is it different than absolute barometric pressure?

Answer: Sea level barometric pressure is barometric pressure measured at sea level. Absolute barometric pressure is barometric pressure measured at altitude.

Using sea level barometric pressure on an ABC watch is more effective, as it provides a consistent variable to compare to altitude. This is how the pressure / altitude tables are programmed into the watch.

In order to properly set your Core or other Suunto ABC watch, all you need to know is either sea level barometric pressure, or altitude. Once you enter in one of those, the watch will automatically be programmed for both sea level barometric pressure and altitude.

In order to get your sea level pressure, there are a number of resources online to get this information. Here is one place:

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/barometric-pressure/

Note: If you set your Core at a known altitude, and you find you are a few millibars off in terms of sea level barometric pressure from the latest weather report at your regional airport, etc. that is normal. It is normal to see minor fluctuations in barometric pressure over a small region (i.e., 10 square miles).

Note: You cannot manually calibrate the watch sensor on the Core. You can however, manually calibrate the watch sensor on Vectors, X-landers, and Observers.

· Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Question
Is there any way to tell when my particular Suunto was manufactured?

Answer
Absolutely! The first three digits of your device's serial number (frequently found on the caseback) is the approximate manufacturing date. For example, if your Suunto has a serial number of 536xxxxx, it was manufactured in the 36th week of 2005.

· Registered
6,768 Posts
My second hand disappeared is this normal or am I crazy?:-s

Answer: Yes it is normal and I dont know if you are not crazy.:-! It is engineered into the Core for the second hand to disappear. The second hand will tick around the face of your Suunto Core for 10 minutes and then disappear. Push any button in the time mode and the second hand will reappear for another 10 minutes. It is generally thought that Suunto does this for a energy saving feature.

· Registered
6,768 Posts
Is there any other way to recalibrate my compass without removing the battery?

Answer: Yes there is... Rebooting watch:You will follow the procedure like you are trying to read your watches software. This will erase any stored logs in your memory.
This procedure is for a Compass error or you did not calibrate the compass correctly on your first attempt.

1. Press and hold the upper left, lower left, upper right and lower right buttons at the same time. 'SUUNTO' will appears on the display.
2. When the display is blank press the upper left button once - 'SUUNTO' will appear on the screen
3. While 'SUUNTO' is still displayed press and hold the upper left button.
4.Now you may exit out if the menu by pressing the lower left button.

Normal Compass calibration instruction by Suunto:
The device needs to be carefully calibrated during first time use and when the
battery is replaced. The device will prompt you when calibration is needed.
To calibrate the compass:
1. Keep the device level, do not tilt it in any directions.
2. Slowly rotate the device clockwise (around 15 seconds per round) until
the compass is activated.​

If you notice deviations in the compass, you can recalibrate it by keeping
it level and rotating it slowly clockwise until the north indicator shows a stable
value. If this does not correct the compass please refer to the directions at the top and reboot watch.

TIP:
Make sure you are out side and ready to recalibrate the compass when you press the MODE button to switch to compass mode.
I recomend using a medium size glass or bottle (a medium size GADERADE bottle works well).
Place the watch on top of the bottle with the cap on. Let the straps hang down the sides of the bottle. Place the bottle on a flat surface outside and spin the entire bottle with the watch on top. Make 3 turns slowly, approximately 15 seconds per spin. The bottle or glass will help you keep the watch completely level.

Moderators note: See posts 8 and 12 as well.

· Registered
6,768 Posts
What is the purpose of the 2 hash markers on the bezel on some newer Core models?

Answer: These markers mark the top North position of the bezel. They are luminescent and be charged to glow brightly with a quick flash of light from your flashlight. The idea is to mark the north position when using a bearing lock. Spin the bezel to the north indicated by your compass. It is used for quick reference without using your light.

· Registered
6,768 Posts
Quik change Altitude and Barometer profile or enter a reference:

When in the Altitude or Barometer mode and you want to switch profile:
Hold the lower left button for 4 seconds. It goes into the profile/reference mode.
when finished push the lower left button.

This saves you from scrolling through the entire menu.

· Registered
6,768 Posts
Will all Core straps/bands fit every Core model?
Yes they will. Some Core models come with a integrated band that molds into the watch. Other Core models have a more traditional Lug and band combination. Both types of bands can be removed/exchanged with each other using 2 small flat head screwdrivers. Do not over torque these screws. Just make them snug tight.
Note: The traditional lug band design may be disassembled to use the lugs. These lugs will let you be able to fit any manufacturer's 24mm band.
Warning: The buckle can not be taken apart, even though it looks like it has flat head screws.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.