WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Several months ago, I was again toying with the purchase of an Omega Speedmaster, or maybe something similar, and came across this article:

I'd been eyeing several of the Farer models since they were introduced but had never gotten to the point of actually buying one. When I saw the Moritz, I thought about it even harder - clean and classic look, with an interesting movement, at a usable size. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that he price was just a little high for me to want to buy it new, so I threw in an eBay notification and left it at that. A few weeks ago, a used one popped up with little interest, allowing me to snag it for a price I could swallow.

Enough preamble, onto the nuts and bolts. Specs, taken from Farer's site (note the detailed dimensions, very helpful!):

Case size: 41mm diameter, 11mm depth, 12.9mm depth including domed crystal, 44mm lug-to lug, 42mm pin-to-pin​
Movement: Swiss-made Sellita SW510 BH Elaboré grade, skeleton framework, bespoke high end bridge with engraved Farer monogram chequered sports pattern​
Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, 60 second chronograph, 30 minute counter at 3, 12 hour counter at 6​
Winding: Hand-wound​
Power Reserve: Approximately 58 hours fully wound​
Case: 316L high grade stainless steel, brushed​
Dial: Matte black main dial plate solid formed blocks of Super-LumiNova applied numerals and markers with white and mint green markings to debossed sub-dials with domed effect big-eye sub-dial at 3​
Hands: Polished steel outlined Super-LumiNova infill, dauphine style hour/minute hands, brilliant white sub-dial point hands, with mini dauphine style hand to big-eye sub-dial​
Crown: Straight solid stainless steel, machined bronze inset cap featuring embossed Farer ‘A'​
Glass: Anti-reflective box cased sapphire crystal, flat sapphire exhibition glass on rear​
Lug: 20mm​
Water Resistant: 10ATM​

Packaging was pretty good, a nice wooden box with the watch securely held inside, and paperwork all underneath. I don't care much about this stuff really (just junk to have to store), so I appreciate the modest size.

Out of the box, I was pretty impressed. The fit and finish are very nice, with creamy brushing on the case mixed in with some polishing on the caseback and the edge/side of the bezel. The slightly boxed sapphire is super clear, and I love the exhibition crystal on the backside. Finishing on the dial and hands is well done and hand alignment is perfect over the matte black dial with recessed subdials. The bezel insert's tachymeter features engraved and painted markers and numerals, and nary a splash of paint is out of place. Their signature bronze crown is limited to an insert on the end with their trademark arrow-like "A" , also echoed on the buckle on the strap - which, I should mention, is a nice soft leather, lined in a bright red. The rally style goes perfectly with this watch and it's one of the nicest stock straps I've had.

I feel the motorsports-style-chronograph-with-a-quirky-twist look really works. It's discreet enough to not stand out...not quite as clean as a Speedmaster, but it's nothing as wild as its cousins, the Cobb and Bernina. I'd been intrigued with the watches I've seen use solid chunks of luminous material for indices - this and the Hamilton Khaki Field LE - as it's an interesting way to use that material as a design element. They certainly stand out here, with large numerals for 6 and 12, and rectangular chunks to mark most of the other hours. The marker at 6 stands out, with the head floating (I noted the others appear to be floating as well when looked at through a macro lens, but you can't tell using the naked eye) above the hour counter placed at that position on the dial. There's also a minute counter at 3 - which is the only design point I'm not sold about on this - and running seconds at 9. No date.

This is awfully silly, but one of the reasons I like this watch so much is that it reminds me of one of our cats, Leo. The pale yellow-green chunks o' lume and green accents on the dial immediatey made me think of his eyes. He didn't seem to care, however, other than wanting to use it as a toy. But it makes me happy.

Onto the movement - this is one of the hand-would versions of the Sellita SW510, specifically the SW510 M b. It's quite nice with hacking seconds, no phantom date-setting position, and 58 hours of reserve. The feel of the movement during winding, setting, and chronograph operations is quite nice. Detail work on the rear shows very well under the caseback with nice engraving, blued screws, and different finishes and colors setting things off.

As mine was purchased second-hand, I immediately went about testing its timekeeping, and found it to be running +21 sec/day. An email to Farer resulted in a theory of the movement having become magnetized, confirmed using my compass. Once a timegrapher and demagnetizer arrived, I put them to work, and with a slight regulation got it down to +8 sec/day, which is in line with how Farer said they left the factory. I then wound it fully and let it sit, and it finally petered out after 63 hours! Quite impressive, but timekeeping was suffering towards the end.

I'm very impressed overall, and find my impression of it growing as I wear it more. Some of Farer's Instagram photos showing it on their steel bracelet are leading to me purchasing one, along with a tan perforated strap...I happened to have a quick change Roue sitting around, looks great. Something tells me this watch will look pretty good on darn near anything. I'm also debating on throwing in an Elvington with this purchase...we'll see!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice review and great photos. I am a fan of Farer’s and own two of their watches (Lander GMT and Eldridge chronograph). I will encourage you to grab one of their OEM bracelets, as you mention having an interest. Your watch looks great on the rally strap. But I also find that with so much color on their dials, Farer watches do particularly well on bracelets: just a bit less color to compete and match, if that makes sense. I find their bracelets of high quality although not excellent; since they are butterfly clasp style, there is no micro adjusting. So fit suffers slightly.

Also appreciated your comment about magnetizing. I have a similar issue possibly with my Eldridge and might try the steps you outline. Thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice review and great photos. I am a fan of Farer’s and own two of their watches (Lander GMT and Eldridge chronograph). I will encourage you to grab one of their OEM bracelets, as you mention having an interest. Your watch looks great on the rally strap. But I also find that with so much color on their dials, Farer watches do particularly well on bracelets: just a bit less color to compete and match, if that makes sense. I find their bracelets of high quality although not excellent; since they are butterfly clasp style, there is no micro adjusting. So fit suffers slightly.
Thanks! I did order the bracelet, along with extra end links for a future quartz. Hopefully I'll be able to find a comfortable length.

Also appreciated your comment about magnetizing. I have a similar issue possibly with my Eldridge and might try the steps you outline. Thanks!
Good luck - I went with an older Vigor DE-415a, the one Ofrei sells as the FB-119, much cheaper than they sell for new. Other than needing a new cord and solder joint repair, it's fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stunning photos! I've been looking at one of these as a possible part purchase, part 18th birthday present but have small wrists and worry it'll be too big; despite Farer's excellent measurements. If you don't mind me asking, what size is your wrist? Your detail shots have definitely made me even more attracted to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great review and nice watch—thanks for being so thorough. It’s very impressive, though I’m a bit on the fence about the indices, which look nice in the dark but kinda like little pieces of plastic in full light. Maybe different in the full light.
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great review and love the pictures, especially of Leo! So much about connecting to watches is emotion and so cool that you were able to identify the source. And it helps that it’s a such nice looking watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stunning photos! I've been looking at one of these as a possible part purchase, part 18th birthday present but have small wrists and worry it'll be too big; despite Farer's excellent measurements. If you don't mind me asking, what size is your wrist? Your detail shots have definitely made me even more attracted to it.
Thanks! Sorry for the delay, I hadn't been following and didn't notice your reply. My wrist is 6.5"/165mm. I find that this watch wears larger than the measurements would lead one to expect, but I don't think it looks goofy.

Cool bike, btw...you should post it here!

Great review and nice watch—thanks for being so thorough. It’s very impressive, though I’m a bit on the fence about the indices, which look nice in the dark but kinda like little pieces of plastic in full light. Maybe different in the full light.
Thanks again!
They are an unusual touch. I don't find them looking cheap or anything, but that's me....I can definitely see why you might not like them.

Great review and love the pictures, especially of Leo! So much about connecting to watches is emotion and so cool that you were able to identify the source. And it helps that it’s a such nice looking watch!
Thanks, and I agree! I was wearing it again the last few weeks, it's quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites. I haven't messed with the steel bracelet yet, but did have it on the new tan perforated leather strap and it's just as nice as the black rally. Very supple and comfortable, and smells wonderful.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like my Moritz as well. Some design elements don't mesh perfectly (chronograph hands don't match color for example) but it's a great watch all in all.
Mine ran +5 seconds per day then became magnetized. I then realized several of my watches had so I picked up a cheap demagnetizer and it's now back to +5.
I call this watch my poor man's Speedy Pro.

Great photography by the way!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! Sorry for the delay, I hadn't been following and didn't notice your reply. My wrist is 6.5"/165mm. I find that this watch wears larger than the measurements would lead one to expect, but I don't think it looks goofy.

Cool bike, btw...you should post it here!

They are an unusual touch. I don't find them looking cheap or anything, but that's me....I can definitely see why you might not like them.

Thanks, and I agree! I was wearing it again the last few weeks, it's quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites. I haven't messed with the steel bracelet yet, but did have it on the new tan perforated leather strap and it's just as nice as the black rally. Very supple and comfortable, and smells wonderful.
Thanks for the info - probably a bit big for me then :(
I hadn't realised my Facebook had synced my profile pic - it's quite the machine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts