WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do want to skip below then here is a direct link to all my pictures, taken with my little Canon Ixus 100is so be kind: Jon Murgatroyd | Farnborough Air Show 2010 with ATG, Bremont & Martin Baker

The long and short of it is that Alistair @ ATG was given a handful of passes for Farnborough on the Sunday public day which also gave access to the Bremont hospitality chalet which they were kindly allowed to use from Martin Baker. I was fortunately enough to be able to go along with a group of other ATG forum members for the day and have to say the guys were really friendly and we all had a superb day out.

The Bremont chaps were charming hosts, extremely friendly and the atmosphere was wonderfully relaxed. Only Giles was there (Nick on holiday at the moment) and he is a really nice chap, kind of surprised me how down to earth and genuinely friendly he is. Happy to chat about absolutely anything and as it seems everyone else who has met him or his brother Nick feels, very very enthusiastic about his watches. I found it easy to chat to him about the positives, and indeed the negatives, of the Bremont watches. I've never had the chance to meet and chat with the owner of any other watch brand and I would hazard a guess it's not something that may people get to do anyhow, so for one I give Bremont a good heap of respect of making themselves so accessible to their customers. Others may disagree, but I would say if you get the chance go and meet with them and make an informed decision ;)

So onto the show, the day started out early setting off from Chelt just after 6am and once we'd rendezvoused and convoyed to Farnborough we sailed into the car park around 8:30am, no traffic problems at all. Our invite to the Bremont chalet wasn't until 11am so we just wondered around the static displays for a few hours most of which were still there, though the massive halls where the manufactures display were pretty much empty as they'd obviously had enough of the week long event and of course none of the public are going to be placing orders for missiles etc!

Here are a few pictures from the static displays, all pictures here: FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - STATIC DISPLAY

The Vulcan was simply amazing... I've never seen one up close and it's just MASSIVE!! It had flown in the air display on Saturday but was sadly grounded for Sunday as it needed some spare parts they couldn't get in time :(

However the Vulcan was dwarfed by the Airbus A380! It's hard to believe the size of this plane, yet at the same time there are parts of it that are beautiful by design. The way the wings curve down into the fuselage is lovely, and the way it flys... well more of that later!

Of the few displays still there in a hall were Martin Baker. Whilst to us the seats looks pretty dull they were extremely interesting to chat too and were more then happy to listen to our questions and give us a few stories. As posted in this recent thread (TZ-UK • View topic - A fighter pilots close shave !!!!) one of their seats saved another life only a few days ago!

Once we'd settled into the Bremont chalet with our various choice of drink the air display kicked off with what I have to say is by far the best Red Arrow display I think I've ever seen. These guys were tight, extremely tight and had some great moves, some classics and some very new. Worth noting that one of them (in #3) is flown by a woman :)

These are a few choice snaps which I'm really quite pleased with considering they are from my little pocket camera, the full set from the Air Display are here: FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - AIR DISPLAY

Next up was the Airbus A380... it's so damned big and just insane how much they could throw it around! Took off in a tiny amount of runway too...

I didn't bother with much else as I was too busy chatting and drooling over watches, though it was hard not to miss the B-52 which even after 50+ years is an awesome site in the sky, not to mention loud!!

So onto the watches, first up were the Bremont display cases which had an array of models from their current range along with the now infamous pocket watch!

Here are a few pictures of the display cabinets, all pictures here: FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT DISPLAY

Have to just say that I was really surprised at just how good the Supermarine 500 looks in blue, was expecting something bright and brash but it's a subtle blue that looks stunning on the bracelet:

For the rest of the pictures I've broken then up into their various models as follows:

Bremont ALT1 (various) - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT ALT1 (various)
Bremont EP120 - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT EP120
Bremont Martin Baker (various) - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT MARTIN BAKER (various)
Bremont Pocket Watch - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT POCKET WATCH
Bremont Supermarine (various) - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT SUPERMARINE (various)
Bremont U2 Squadron Edition - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT U2 SQUADRON EDITION
Bremont Group Shots - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT GROUP SHOTS

Bremont ALT1 (various) - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT ALT1 (various)
There was quite an array of versions on show ranging from the classic dressy version to the all out pilots version with a million things happening on the dial. I was really surprised at how nice the grey leather strap was on the grey dialled ALT1-C, a perfect match!

My favourite overall look as to be Alistair's own ALT1-P with a slightly different finish to the top case, matched with the canvas strap it's a winning combination for sure.

Bremont EP120 - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT EP120
Now this little beauty was a rare sight indeed, it's worth noting that Bremont don't bother putting one of these in their display cases as they are long since sold out and have a list of 14 people currently looking for a used one. This particular one belongs to Martyn and I sure was glad he brought it along (he also had a stack of other Bremonts with him in his bag!). It really is something that has to be seen in the flesh to truly appreciate the detail and indeed build quality of a watch that sold out instantly at £6.5k and is well sought after in the right circles.

Please to see this one actually gets worn a fair bit, and rightly so as watches are made to be worn after all!!

Bremont Martin Baker (various) - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT MARTIN BAKER (various)
Thanks to the owners there on the day there was one of each version of Martin Baker watch, though I sadly didn't get to snap a pic of all 3 together. However it was really nice to meet and chat with an owner of an MB1 which is only available to those who have ejected with a Martin Baker seat, he was also wearing the Martin Baker tie which is also presented to those you have ejected with one of their seats. So we have an MB1.5 and the MB 1.

Bremont Pocket Watch - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT POCKET WATCH
This needs little introduction and it was great to see in the flesh. Having played with it a little (all be it was a prototype so some things didn't function) it has a great feel in the had, very solid and a great size with domed crystals both sides it makes it very tactile in the hand. Whilst it is quite thick it fits in a jeans 'ticket' pocket very well indeed, which was apparently their intention.

Bremont Supermarine (various) - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT SUPERMARINE (various)
Well you all know how much of a fan I am of the Supermarine, here's a great thread on it if you've not see it already: https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/bremont-supermarine-500-depth-review-426037.html

What was great to see was the first Supermarine Decent out in the wild, and #2 no less! This one belongs to Martin and it was an added bonus that we share the same wrist size so it was great to try on. For some reason I don't really do full black watches but have to say the Decent is rather stunning with a mix of textured finishes just like the regular Supermarine, some polished and some matt. What was interesting, and something I had paid little attention too, is the colour of the lume with the Decent being a vivid green (and on the bezel) whilst my black dialled regular Supermarine has a pale green-ish colour. Personally I prefer the paler version on mine.

Worth noting that Giles wears a Supermarine Decent on a black canvas strap as his first choice of watch, another of the Bremont staff was also wearing a Supermarine 500 in Black/Green with a canvas strap too! Seems the watch is a hit with the staff!

Bremont U2 Squadron Edition - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT U2 SQUADRON EDITION
This is the latest release from Bremont, well it's actually not available yet but will be soon. Really good to see this one in the flesh, it's basically the Martin Baker case in full DLC with a different handset (depending on version). Here we've got the Squadron Version which has been produced as a squadron of U2 pilots approached Bremont with a view to making a special edition which includes the silhouette of the plane on the dial along with the gun site marking and a U in black next to the 2 (the U is also lumed, which is rather cool). They also requested a sapphire back, so Bremont have obliged... granted this does away with a large part of the faraday cage and some of the watches tested endurance but it's goal in this instance is not to be used on the planes, rather a keep-sake for the Squadron.

There will be 3 other versions of the U2 available, a Limited Edition which will be essentially identical to the Squadron Edition but without their logo on the dial then a simpler version with a more regular handset (the ejector seat seconds hand is replaced) in both DLC and Steel. Chatting to Giles these have been produced as they listened to those who didn't like the seconds hand on the Martin Baker and wanted something a little more subtle.

I really love the look of this one, even in the black. The Limited Edition one is really calling to me and it's going to have to be a toss up between this and an MB2 later this year for sure.

Bremont Group Shots - FARNBOROUGH AIR SHOW 2010 - BREMONT GROUP SHOTS
And finally a few group shots of watches owned by us, Bremont customers. Most belonged to Martyn though ;)

So to end, a good time was had by all and a big thanks to Alistair @ ATG for organising the day and of course to Bremont and Martin Baker for the fantastic hospitality :D

In case anyone missed it, here is a link to the full gallery: Jon Murgatroyd | Farnborough Air Show 2010 with ATG, Bremont & Martin Baker

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Excellent pics!
A very enjoyable outing, I guess!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Great oics - especially the one of the Spit - Beautiful, in an aggressive and purposeful kind of way. Grerat aspect of it you captured and of course, lovely shots of all those very nice Bremonts. Looked like a great day, albeit a typically British summer one by the looks of things!

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! Looks like it was one awesome show. I'm amazed at pilots, even though I need to be liquored up to get in one of those flying boxes of death.

And this:

Is possibly the best looking stainless watch I've ever seen.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great pics of beautiful planes and watches??? Perfect post, IMO.

OT: If I could get paid to hang out at airshows and handle beautiful watches, I would probably have my perfect (non-flying) job! :-d

Very nice pics of some amazing aircraft and really cool watches (and nice review of the Supermarine you linked to, as well). Looks like you had a great time (and who wouldn't?) I continue to be impressed by the line of watches put out by the English brothers; looks like they have done a great job in filling their niche.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great review , I like Bremont style .:-!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts