WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for fathers day I can pick from these 3 watches what would be your choice?
your respond can be long or short, just need to narrow it down from these 3 watches.
this will be my first Automatic Diver. The only diver i own is a quartz Mv102 Casio. Any of
the 3 will be nice just like to hear from WUS members what they Think.

1) Orient Mako

2) Seiko Monster

3) Vostok Aphibian

4) Other suggestions welcome must stay in a resonable price range. under $150

·
Registered
154 Posts
Based on personal experience I highly recommend the Monster|> After a year of abusing it I had my watch guy (Jerry's Watch Repair in Seattle) put it on his timing machine (when picking up my Benarus). Monster was running great within 10 seconds per day and never had the case opened. Jerry also voted with his wallet for the monster. I like Orient never owned one. Seiko owns 51+% of Orient. Vostok personally mine one sucked, but that was in the '90's maybe they got better IDK<|

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
If you like the Monster, go for it, it is the highest quality watch on your list and is kind of iconic around here. If you need to spend less, the Mako is a great deal for a little over $100 with the coupon codes. It is well finished, had better lume than people say and many say it keeps better time than the Monster. The Seiko SKx007 would be another to consider, if you haven't already.

Definitely not the Vostok, I will take flak for this, but the dirty little secret around here is that the Vostok just doesn't feel that well made, especially around the two Japanese divers on your list, although in fairness it is less than half the price. It is famous, but it also has a horrible bracelet, loose bezel and minimal lume.

BTW, I have owned the Mako and flipped it and almost bought a Vostok once. I will never sell my Monster. Never. My collection is climbing up the price index, but my Monster still sees lots of wrist time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Orange monster,you won't regret it.

·
Registered
21,050 Posts
I'd take the Monster of those three, but if you can swing it, a better looking SKX007K1 is only $155 on longislandwatch.com. If you mention that you're a WUS member, they might give free shipping or something like that, since they're a sponsor.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
MONSTER!!!
MONSTER!!!
MONSTER!!!
MONSTER!!!
Catch my drift??

·
Registered
843 Posts
No brainer, Monster!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Im going through the same choises as you on what to get next, I decided on the Monster because it is a must have in any dive watch collection, It has reached legendary status and a cult like following.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on personal experience I highly recommend the Monster|> After a year of abusing it I had my watch guy (Jerry's Watch Repair in Seattle) put it on his timing machine (when picking up my Benarus). Monster was running great within 10 seconds per day and never had the case opened. Jerry also voted with his wallet for the monster. I like Orient never owned one. Seiko owns 51+% of Orient. Vostok personally mine one sucked, but that was in the '90's maybe they got better IDK<|
great info thanks!

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd take the Monster of those three, but if you can swing it, a better looking SKX007K1 is only $155 on longislandwatch.com. If you mention that you're a WUS member, they might give free shipping or something like that, since they're a sponsor.
Any difference in Movement as far as quality skx vs. monster?

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im going through the same choises as you on what to get next, I decided on the Monster because it is a must have in any dive watch collection, It has reached legendary status and a cult like following.
good to know! we are in the same boat

1 - 20 of 43 Posts