WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Can I get some advice please.
My eagerly awaited new green Neptune arrived on Monday. Ticking away merrily. I set it to the right time and gave it a little wind. I noticed that the winding/setting was a bit fiddly and the crown seemed 'slippery' so I left it in it's box until tonight (after the weeks commitments are over) and then decided to set it properly and get it ready for the weekend.
When setting it, I noticed that as I wind the time forward, the action is kind of loose then tighter then loose then tight, so depending on where the minute hand is in the hour it moves so easily that it's hard to set it exactly without it slipping, or at other 'times' on the dial it's far more of a positive action that stays where you want it to be.
When you set the time, the minute hand sometimes moves on it's own as you are screwing down the crown or as you are pushing the crown back down from the setting position. Sometimes when setting (again depending on the time/position on the dial), the minute hand doesn't move for a while and seems to be stuck for a minute or two.
I've also noticed that the dial is slightly rotated a couple of millimetres counter clockwise.
See pictures below.
I'm pretty gutted to be honest.
Can anyone shed any light on this and perhaps offer some advice on how I communicate this to Komandirskie.com to get it resolved?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Sorry to hear this. To me this looks like a problem in the keyless: I experienced what you described with a watch that had broken spring in the keyless. You also probably do not feel a distinct click when you pull/push the crown from winding to time setting possible. Correct?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Odessa200,

Thanks for your help.
I can compare it with my 650 and it does 'click' out in almost the same way, it re-engages when the crown is about half screwed back in.
but once it's pulled out to the set position, the 650 has smooth positive resitance to setting the hands and it's even and constant. The Neptune has this weird uneven 'action'. almost as though something is bent and slightly rubbing as it turns causing resistance. It's got me stumped.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Komandirskie <where he got it, not Meranom> should be willing to take care of that for you. They are good people and helped me in the past with a misaligned hour hand.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Comrades.

I've been trying again with it today.
Every time I try and set it, I look back a little while after and its lost a couple of minutes.
When I try and set the time exactly, the hands are so free moving that they often move as I screw the crown down.
If that happens and the hands scoot forwards a couple of minutes, you can unscrew the crown again and adjust them back without it affecting the speed of the second hand.
I've realised that there is around 10 minutes each way of almost free movement where adjusting the time doesn't seem to 'engage' the underlying mechanism controlling the hands. But as soon as you wind it forward past that point, you can feel the resistance increase. On my 650, it's like that all the time and there is even resistance for any adjustment.
Sometimes the cycles of the second hand don't correspond to the minute hand moving a full minute increment.
I've never come across this before and I'm hugely grateful to you guys for helping as I think I'm going to have to send it back to Komandirskie.com and get them to sort it.
It's brand new after all.
God only knows how I'm going to put this in an email that will be understandable to the peeps at Komandirskie.com?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Record a video of it and send or upload and send them a link.
Hi elsoldemayo,

That's a good idea thanks. It might help cut through the language barrier.
Ive done as you suggested and uploaded to youtube.
I've set the watch to the right time four times this afternoon and every time I look back at it, it's lost time. It's driving me to distraction now. :confused:
I'm going to contact Komandirskie.com now.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Dial washer missing?
But this would not really explain the hands not disengaging in winding position.

I recently repaired a 2414 that had a damaged keyless works spring, and as Odessa said, this can cause the hands to engage or not disengage when moving the crown into winding position from the setting position.
The minute hand also appeared to lose time off and on.

It is similar to your problem but not completely, as Odessa also said.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dial washer missing?
But this would not really explain the hands not disengaging in winding position.

I recently repaired a 2414 that had a damaged keyless works spring, and as Odessa said, this can cause the hands to engage or not disengage when moving the crown into winding position from the setting position.
The minute hand also appeared to lose time off and on.

It is similar to your problem but not completely, as Odessa also said.
Hi Matt,

It's completely bizarre, sometimes you set the time (which is a chore in itself as the hands move with the smallest movement of the crown which takes no pressure) and it'll seem to be fine, but then it'll lose a few minutes over the next half hour or so.
Other times, you set the time and the second hand sweeps along fine, but the minute hand doesn't move for a minute, or two.... then suddenly starts moving.
And the action of setting the time is so loose and sloppy it kind of feels like the hands are only connected to the crown stem and not part of a larger mechanism.
I keep thinking that when the crown is out that the hands will give in to gravity and just swing down and point at the ground, but they dont.
When the minute hand seems stuck after setting , it doesn't move if you gently tap the watch with a finger, it just starts after a while on its own. The action of the minute hand also looks 'jerky'. On my other Vostok and other mechanicals in general, I can't actually see the minute hand move because it's so slow and smooth. But on the Neptune, it seems to move in little steps.

I've sent a long email to Komandirskie.com with google translation to Russian and two video links uploaded to youtube.
Hopefully they'll reply tomorrow when they are back in the office.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Atlantia,
When you get this issue diagnosed and fixed, please give us all the details to help us to better understand these problems.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
A loose cannon pin, unusual on a new watch but could be defective.
Matt,
I can see a loose cannon pinion causing most of the symptoms, but what about this:

"When you set the time, the minute hand sometimes moves on it's own as you are screwing down the crown or as you are pushing the crown back down from the setting position. "

I've seen this particular issue with keyless works issues.

Could loose cannon pinion also cause that problem?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Matt,
I can see a loose cannon pinion causing most of the symptoms, but what about this:

"When you set the time, the minute hand sometimes moves on it's own as you are screwing down the crown or as you are pushing the crown back down from the setting position. "

I've seen this particular issue with keyless works issues.

Could loose cannon pinion also cause that problem?
Matt, I'm not ruling out other issues, but incorrect staking of a cannon pin can cause all of the symptoms including movement of the minute hand when setting, the fact that its slack then tight and loosing minutes would certainly lead me to checking the cannon pin first.

Cheers...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've had an email back from Komandirskie.com. I think that despite my videos and dual langauge translation there is something lost in translation, but they are offering a return.

The email starts:
"Hello,
Apparently the watch hand flew off the shaft.
As for the bezel, the factory will check all the watches and, apparently, according to their requirements, this is the norm."

I'm not sure if he's saying that a missaligned dial is normal? Or if they will check to see if it's normal?

They seem to just want the watch:
"The watch can be sent without a box and a bracelet"

They want the warranty card as well, which I assume is the cut off slip from the instructions?

Anyway, they've given me an addres in English to ship to (slightly different from the one that their site translates to english. I've asked if they want the parcel addressed in Russian as well.

I'm relieved they've got back to me quickly.
So fingers crossed!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The bigger issue is with the hands/time setting: they suspect that the hands are lose. It does not matter. Let them evaluate and repair. They will discover that the issue is not with how tight the hands sit but probably in keyless or cannon pinion. This is not your job to diagnose the issue for them. They agree to receive the watch for repair and this is all that you should care about.

2nd issue is the crooked dial: they speculate that the dial is all good but it is the bezel that is a bit rotated by half a click. This is indeed happens and many watches have this issue. It is hard to see on the photos because small camera angle can distort the image. Check maybe they are right. A bit rotated bezels are way more frequent than rotated dials. In any case you may end up with the need to learn to love this crookedness… a one of a kind watch :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bigger issue is with the hands/time setting: they suspect that the hands are lose. It does not matter. Let them evaluate and repair. They will discover that the issue is not with how tight the hands sit but probably in keyless or cannon pinion. This is not your job to diagnose the issue for them. They agree to receive the watch for repair and this is all that you should care about.

2nd issue is the crooked dial: they speculate that the dial is all good but it is the bezel that is a bit rotated by half a click. This is indeed happens and many watches have this issue. It is hard to see on the photos because small camera angle can distort the image. Check maybe they are right. A bit rotated bezels are way more frequent than rotated dials. In any case you may end up with the need to learn to love this crookedness… a one of a kind watch :)
Hi Odessa200

Thanks that is reassuring, especially as I'm certainly not qualified to tell them what's wrong.

The dial is a bit off, I've measured it from every angle... I wish it was just my eyes.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hi Odessa200

Thanks that is reassuring, especially as I'm certainly not qualified to tell them what's wrong.

The dial is a bit off, I've measured it from every angle... I wish it was just my eyes.
View attachment 16035379
this looks like the case (lugs) are a bit off. No?
The dial can have a side shift or radial shift. I do not see any of them. The lugs are machied a bit shifted. No?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Odessa200,
I did consider that, but the lugs are both 9mm with 6mm to each shoulder either side. They look even. It would have to be the entire case that's lopsided. I don't think it is!
lol, if it is, then I guess I will have to learn to love it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, Sent Komandirskie.com a final message answering their questions that I've not added parts or tried to repair the watch and just clarifying exactly what they want me to do and that they only want the watch and waranty sent back and they replied:

"yes right,

1 send the watch to the bracelet + box, we will give everything to the fobrik - let them give an answer"

So I guess I'm sending it all now? Box and everything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts