WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dutch, although I really like the Start, have really taking a liking to the Kirov watches, keeping great time and patinas on dials are cool, my best wishes to you

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man, yes purchased the Vympal a couple of years ago here in Serbia and noticed the hands first off. Close up the dial is quite a gold accented hue and I guess the paint was a way to mitigate and increase vis. Do you think I should attempt to correct this? or leave as is. appriciate your comments mate.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I guess the paint was a way to mitigate and increase vis. Do you think I should attempt to correct this? or leave as is.
Well, it's completely up to you. I would restore the original gold hands, but it's just a personal preference.

If the hands are painted black, then it would be easy to remove the paint with some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. I've done this many times, and some gentle rubbing generally does the trick (but be careful, these hands are fragile).

However, it looks like the hands may be sourced from a later Luch, in which case they are not painted but actually made from black material (either metal or plastic, I'm honestly not sure). For these, you would need to find replacement hour and minute hands. But 2209s with gold hands are quite prevalent, and it should be very easy to source some for not much money. A good place to start would be fellow forum member Monroe, who you can contact through his Etsy page (click on the left where it says "Contact Shop Owner").

As a last resort, any donor watch would do. I've found nearly all 2209 hands to be interchangeable -- Vympel, Poljot de Luxe, Sekonda de Luxe, Luch, and so on -- with very few exceptions. If you found another 2209 with gold hour and minute hands, you could swap them out.

Again, just a personal choice. They looks fine as-is and really are more visible against the dial. It's just whether the cost and burden of going through with the replacement is worth it to restore the watch to its original state. And only you can make that decision :)

Whatever you do, be proud of your collection -- beautiful watches!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts