WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 850 to spend looking at different options. So far the Hamilton Maestro seems to be out in front but still looking.

Post your favorites

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Any Seiko SARB will be great, or the Seiko Premier 6R20:

Those are a few incarnations of the SARB, but there are a lot more. SARBs can be from 400-600.

Those are some examples of the Premier and the SARC (SARC comes last), the Premier being the world model and the SARC being the Japanese model. They use a 6R20 which is the best movement you can get before you get to Nomos (above $1000 though). You can find the Premier 6R20 for about $600 if you look around. The SARC can be $900 up into the low $1000ish range.

There is a great variety of Orients (probably better off with the higher end Orient Star line since you can afford it) under $1000. I've seen this one go for $800ish as I recall.

I'd also check out Mido, Tissot, Hamilton and some Orises.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I guess it would depend on what kind of watch you want, dress, sport, pilot, dive, etc.

Also, does $850 budget mean you want to spend it all or ?

One of the best autos I have owned on the cheap side is the Seiko skx173... takes a beating, reliable, accurate (for a cheap auto).

For a nicer piece I say Hamilton. I had a Viewmatic that was worth twice what I paid, within cosc accurate, slick sexy look but also went with jeans or a suit, compliments all day long, etc. The maesto is an awesome piece as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't have one yet but I'm seriously considering a Stowa. They're made in Germany, have solid ETA movements, are great looking and some of them sneak under $850 USD. Drawback? There's a waiting list to get one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Lucky you ... in fact that's the budget that I'd like to spend too :)

I wanted a Swiss automatic, bought this Tissot PR 100 for about $400

Tissot_PR100_Auto_small.jpg

and thought I'd be happy and stop there. Then I got bitten by the WUS mosquito, and therefore spend more time reading and looking at watches. Then this one showed up on my radar:

Tissot_PRC200_ChronoBlue_small.jpg
The price for this blue Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph is also about $400. I've trying to tell myself that I already have a nice automatic and should be happy with it. I've been resisting so far ... but not sure how long I can keep resisting :)

What I am afraid of is if I buy this PRC 200, another one might pop up on my radar ....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Less than $1000 I keep coming back to Christopher Ward. And with their C5 Malverns now on sale, $850 should just fit a C5 and C60 trident - so dress and diver right there

·
Registered
92 Posts
The price for this blue Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph is also about $400. I've trying to tell myself that I already have a nice automatic and should be happy with it. I've been resisting so far ... but not sure how long I can keep resisting :)

You have a nice automatic...now you need to buy a nice quartz...so go ahead and buy the PRC200 :)

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I'd try to find something with a 7750 in it. $850 is on the low side for a mechanical chronograph, but I love that movement and I love chronographs.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Got about 850 to spend looking at different options. So far the Hamilton Maestro seems to be out in front but still looking.

Post your favorites
Check out Mido. You don't pay for brand recognition and all that trash marketing with celebrities, astronauts, sports stars and prodigies.

I think Mido is well respected among watch enthusiasts. You get ETA powered movements, some great and classic designs and a lot of their movements are COSC certified at an unbeatable price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts