WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new beater for daily use at work, need something nice and tough.
I know g shocks will probably dominate this thread, but let’s see what else we can come up with!

Aaaand GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,006 Posts
I just decided on a Hamilton khaki quartz for my new beater. Time is important on my job, so quartz accuracy mattered. I also wanted to be able to toss it on my dresser on the weekends and not have to re-set it Monday.

Is it as tough as a g-shock? Doubt it. I do blue collar work, so it has to be tough, but I’m not deep-sea welding, so I think this will hold up just fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The obvious choice right now in this arena in my opinion is the GSTB200: does everything, understated for a G, doesn't cost a ton. Since you specifically requested non-G-Shock in your post, I would personally consider something like the recently released Seiko bezel-less 5KX: great-looking, versatile, relatively inexpensive, won't mind getting bumped around.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a particular size you're interested in? I'd recommend a Citizen Promaster Tough if you don't mind something >40mm.
Size is fairly irrelevant. As long as it’s not dinner plate sized, I’m good. I’d say maybe max of 43-44
I currently have in work rotation :
G shock Dw5600
G shock Dw6600
Timex expedition

Love autos, but I think I would prefer another quartz beater....
I do have an skx but it took a pretty good hit and is losing a considerable amount of time, so I think I’ll have to send it in for service

·
Registered
38 Posts
Size is fairly irrelevant. As long as it’s not dinner plate sized, I’m good. I’d say maybe max of 43-44
I currently have in work rotation :
G shock Dw5600
G shock Dw6600
Timex expedition

Love autos, but I think I would prefer another quartz beater....
I do have an skx but it took a pretty good hit and is losing a considerable amount of time, so I think I’ll have to send it in for service

Gotcha - well if you don't mind used, you can often find quartz Marathon TSAR or MSAR divers for <$500. Those things are built to take a beating.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Citizen’s lower-priced eco drive dive watches; quartz versions of the lower-end Swatch group dive watches, eg Tissot or Certina (or auto version of same, they’re below $500 new from grey market). Victorinox INOX quartz, pretty much every version of those.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Any Bernhardt diver. Solidly built cases and bracelets, nice looking and good value.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
the ubiquitous G Shock
Casio Duro
Seiko PADI Turtle
...and the Glycine Combat Subs are actually pretty stout things, too

Reactions: Thunder1

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
If we're talking mechanicals, I think there isn't much out there that can touch the Seiko SRP777 for the price. Yes, we'll get those who suggest some off-brand Chinese clone of a Seiko tool watch but those watches don't offer the combination of provenance and toughness you'll find in the Turtle. Plus, you can pick one up BNIB all day long for well under $300.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Seiko Orange Monster.
Wore one as a beater while working around heavy construction equipment for years.
It took a beating for a long time till it would no longer stay wound. At some point I was going to use it to practice taking watches apart. When I removed the case back the only thing wrong with it was the rotor screw became loose. I tightened the screw up and regulated it to 15 seconds a day and it still keeps great time.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts