WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I bought this to use as a "nicer" beater, but still would only wear my G-Shock if I were doing anything that would actually be dangerous

But I think being quartz and having a plastic shroud, would make this a pretty decent "beater" if a really wanted it to be.

I think you could also maybe get like a used SBDC051 for under $500, which I've always wanted to buy, but for some reason, I just feel like I'm not sure I could treat that watch as a beater. Sometimes just having too nice of a watch and it no long becomes a beater, even if you get it at an affordable price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had good expereinces with Spinnaker and Zelos divers (the Cahill and Mako respectively). The Mako was a bit nicer than the Cahill, but the Cahill was easy to knock around guilt free.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I would have to choose my Deep Blue 1000m automatic. Day/date, excellent blue lume, semi-protected bezel, solid bracelet, 4mm thick sapphire crystal, smooth 120-click bezel, and milled clasp.
20200103_102902.jpg
20200103_114743.jpg
20200321_131921.jpg

Looking for a new beater for daily use at work, need something nice and tough.
I know g shocks will probably dominate this thread, but let’s see what else we can come up with!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive Blue BN0151-09L or Black BN0150-28E. Well less than $300, if you shop around. Check Youtube reviews. VERY highly rated. Eco-Drive quartz, so no battery forever if you keep it charged.

Or any of the Islander dive watches at Long Island Watch. Great value and rock solid for $299. Again, check the Youtube reviews. A good automatic

View attachment 15475417 View attachment 15475424
The Islander is technically not a diver. No ISO rating hence no "Diver" on the dial.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Squale 20 Atmos. Bought it pre-owned at less than USD500. It has survived and performed pretty well by far. Swam, rode and played a lot wearing it some usual knocks. It likewise survived a DIY bashing that I did to remove the cyclops.
5BF889B8-0999-43E2-AE97-7D17FE33AD58.jpeg

·
Registered
861 Posts
Vostok Amphibia or Steinhart Ocean One. Both are good, dependable watches.

If I have to pick one, likely the Vostok. As already mentioned up-thread, the price is unbeatable (haha).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been wearing a SEIKO SMA003 5J22-0A50 nearly everyday for the 20+ years since I bought it. I did replace the band after about 15 years and the battery needed to be replaced after about 12 years. An interesting aside, I sent it to SEIKO in CA and they did it for free even though it was out of warranty. Here it is today, on my wrist. You can find excellent condition examples for under $200 and a battery is about $13.00 if it needs to be replaced and you can certainly do it yourself. I used mine for a number of years diving with nary a problem. It survives yard work, oil changes, etc. and I throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner once a week. Good luck with your search.
IMG_4090.JPG

·
Registered
112 Posts
After being on a strictly mechanical watch bent for quite sometime, I have to say I'm loving my Casio Pro Trek PRW3100Y. It's freakin' amazing.

I still love my mechanical pieces, but it's made me seriously think about downsizing my collection. Do I really feel like getting all of these serviced regularly? Maybe not.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Since retiring I have a few cheaper Chinese mechanical watches for beaters. Some are 15 yrs old and still working. The newer ones seem ok so far. There probably is no single right answer. Cheers from Calgary, Canada

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you can find one that doesn't have a ridiculously marked-up price, the blacked-out Casioak is a pretty good looking and functional casual beater. Love that thing. Other than that, I'd also go Seiko SKX007 or Turtle personally. Super solid and if you get bored at some point, MOD that thing! If there was a watch where modding is considered appropriate, it's the SKX!

BANG

BANG

Reactions: Sir-Guy

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
List price is more than $500, but bought mine for less:

If I need to stick to the real meaning of "beater", then it would be some simple plastic Casio - recently the "new F-91W" - W217 is my favorite:

81 - 100 of 143 Posts