WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of all watches in your collection, do you have a favorite brand? While I dont have multiple watches of one particular brand, I do have my favorites. My top 3 are seiko, omega, and rolex.

Seiko I love due to their value, in house and independent, and they have watches in all price brackets from cheap quartz all the way up to complicated luxury like grand seiko and credor.

Omega is a favorite due to James Bond. Being a 90s baby I of course grew up with omega on the wrists of Brosnan and Craig. They looked amazing and as I got older and did my research, fell in love even more from vintage to now. Had I remembered the brand sooner from my high school years, a smp would have been my one and done luxury watch.

Rolex is a classic. And I dont like it for flexing purposes. Its a favorite because to me it left an impression on me as a kid that a Rolex means success. When I got promoted at work, I saved up and got myself my datejust. I'm still learning and growing at work but that datejust reminds me of my hard work paying off.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Interestingly those are my top 3 brands as well. Probably Rolex, Seiko (specifically Grand Seiko), and Omega if I had to rank them. Tudor is number 4.

I have familial attachments to all 3. These 3 brands are the only ones my dad wore, and my grandpa had a Rolex DJ for the longest time before passing it onto my dad.

I think I like each brand for the same reasons as you.

I don't think of Rolex as a flex, if anything it's probably the opposite as in a World where more expensive watches are getting more and more attention, trying to flex with a Rolex makes you look like a rube. What I do like is that they still have a lot of their tool watch DNA. I will admit there's probably some survivorship bias as people are more likely to look after a Rolex, but in the realm of luxury watches I hear so many stories of people who have owned their Rolex as their only watch for 30,40,50 years with no issues. Some with minimal service. More than "luxury" or "flex, I always associated Rolex with quality and longevity.

Omega for very similar reasons as Rolex, and yes with that James Bond connection. And I also think the Speedmaster and the moon thing is cool as hell.

Seiko also has similar qualities imo. I hear a lot of stories of people picking up a 30-40 year old Seiko, giving it a shake, and its running. I think they are still good values. And for someone like me that is drawn to simple yet well executed 3-handed watches, Grand Seiko is probably the perfect brand.

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interestingly those are my top 3 brands as well. Probably Rolex, Seiko (specifically Grand Seiko), and Omega if I had to rank them. Tudor is number 4.

I have familial attachments to all 3. These 3 brands are the only ones my dad wore, and my grandpa had a Rolex DJ for the longest time before passing it onto my dad.

I think I like each brand for the same reasons as you.

I don't think of Rolex as a flex, if anything it's probably the opposite as in a World where more expensive watches are getting more and more attention, trying to flex with a Rolex makes you look like a rube. What I do like is that they still have a lot of their tool watch DNA. I will admit there's probably some survivorship bias as people are more likely to look after a Rolex, but in the realm of luxury watches I hear so many stories of people who have owned their Rolex as their only watch for 30,40,50 years with no issues. Some with minimal service. More than "luxury" or "flex, I always associated Rolex with quality and longevity.

Omega for very similar reasons as Rolex, and yes with that James Bond connection. And I also think the Speedmaster and the moon thing is cool as hell.

Seiko also has similar qualities imo. I hear a lot of stories of people picking up a 30-40 year old Seiko, giving it a shake, and its running. I think they are still good values. And for someone like me that is drawn to simple yet well executed 3-handed watches, Grand Seiko is probably the perfect brand.
Love grand seiko which in my post meant I included all brands, seiko, orient, credor, and grand seiko being the main ones. Snowflake is next watch. I say I'll be done after that, but we all know I'll be done for like 5 months max and I'll make a post about my new whatever then 😉

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I don't have a favourite brand.
All the brands at least 60-70 years old have good stories and signature model ranges.
I'm open to anything if I like it, although I do prefer to have only one watch from a brand and not multiple.

·
Premium Member
14,495 Posts
Oris, NTH, GP, Seiko

I keep trying to work out a deal for another Tutima. I only have one now, but I am a fan. If a 2nd meets expectation, it is added to the list.

Aside from 2 sentimental pieces, I could be content with a collection of only those brands

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I had to pick one, if I look at my whole collection, I’d have to say JLC since I own more of that brand than any other. I do get around though.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I have more TAGs than anything so I guess that's saying something. Not sure what?

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
I keep coming back to Doxa. I own one, and it's the most comfortable watch I have. It feels right. It looks right. It's got the history I enjoy in a watch. It's the last watch I'd get rid of, definitely. And I'm seriously tempted to pick up a second, even though the look and feel would be very similar to what I already own.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would have to say my favorite brands are Jaeger LeCoultre, Glashutte Original, Omega, Patek, and A Lange & Sohne.

At the moment I only own a JLC.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have two Nomos and could see myself adding more, so I’m definitely a fan. I love their design language.

The same is true of Cartier. I’m a sucker for shape watches and Art Deco. The only reason I don’t have one yet is that I don’t know which model I really want. If I had unlimited watch money, I’d collect new and vintage Cartier.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
It happened unexpectedly and quickly, but I have fallen in love with these older Borealis Bronzes. I just saw that a Borealis Santa Cruz sold on WUS last week and I’m heartbroken. (Please let me know if anyone’s ever selling one!)

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Credor, Minase, Longines, Vacheron Constantin, Citizen. Though interestingly Omega is the brand that makes up the plurality of my watches. But that's mainly because of all the Speedmasters. Of the brands I don't own, Van Cleef & Arpels, Piaget, Roger W Smith. Sorry, no Germans. AMG took all my German love.

Reactions: 54B

·
Registered
441 Posts
My top three brands in my collection would be easy. They are the only brands I own multiples of: Tudor, Casio, and Seiko.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My collection is small and unimpressive, but I'll always love Vostok. They have an interesting history (military, space, the USSR's only domestically produced chronometer, etc), their own designs and just chug along happily making watches on old Soviet manual machines without pretending to be something they're not (like certain microbrands that try to claim some tenuous Swiss link because their grandpa visited the airport there once on a stopover).

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great choices. My two favorites. Keepers for sure. Others are keepers as well but those 2 get the most wrist time.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Registered
Zelos Mako V3 bronze frost || Casio PRW-7000X || Casio Gulfman GW-9100 || Victorinox INOX Mechanical
527 Posts
My top brands: Casio, Zelos and Seiko
My DREAM brands: Doxa, Omega and Grand Seiko

1 - 20 of 61 Posts