WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From an engineering standpoint in particular, without factoring in decoration, etc.. do you have a favourite 3 hand automatic movement?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Font 65. It's a disaster. What were they thinking about? [Seriously . .. . .. uh . . . Buren microrotor . .. . uh . .. I give up .. . maybe}

·
Registered
78 Posts
My emotional favorite is probably one of several recent Glashutte Original calibers, but my rational, grudging respect goes to Seiko. I always thought their self-winding system to be unusually elegant and clever.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hi there,

the Timex 107 beats the IWC orders of magnitude:
bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Timex M107
Also Pellaton automatic, but regarding the engineering the IWC guys appear as amateurs in comparison.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
As the Chinese say, "where ever there's strong, there's stronger" The Timex engineering is simply brilliant. It's easy sometimes to forget how superb they were at the bottom of the heap. One of their escapements was a derivative of the chronometer escapement and they manufactured over 3 million of them. If I'm not mistaken many of their 21 jewel escapement were derivatives of the Brocot escapement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, that Timex is really something else. Odd to see in a pin pallet watch that looks held together by welds and rivets.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi woof,

...in a pin pallet watch that looks held together by welds and rivets.
You suspect right: It only looks like. After loosening three screws, it is ready for cleaning and lubricating, and after loosening three further screws, all falls apart, if repairs are necessary.

Of course the plate pillars are riveted, but keep in mind that even in a Patek movement the threads in the base plate can't be exchanged. The Timex M107 has only two functional rivets: The rotor post and the bearing of the Pellaton lever. Really nothing compared with the many rivet joints in the automatic assembly of an ETA 2824.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

1 - 10 of 10 Posts