WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What is your favourite watch released in 2013?

• Lew & Huey Riccardo

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Casio G-Shock GW9400 'Rangeman'

Votes: 80 30.3%
  • Halios Tropik SS

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Certina DS2 PreciDrive

Votes: 25 9.5%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
A few weeks ago I floated the idea of a WUS awards season (to compete with the Oscars ;-) )
See thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/wus-readers-awards-975283.html

What emerged was a call for WUS' sub-fora to vote for their own favourite watches of 2013.
Affordable, Digital(& GShock, Suunto, Smart), Dive and HAQ all rose to the challenge.
They nominated, they voted and below you can see their winners.

Now comes the final challenge.
We're asking for all you Public Forum readers to vote for your grand final winner.
Take a look at the below watches, have a think about which one is worthy of the title WUS reader's watch of 2013... then vote!
Also feel free to campaign for your favourite in this thread - well reasoned arguments guaranteed on WUS :)

This has been a fun process, and I encourage you to go look at the sub-fora nominations in full - there were plenty of great watches that didn't make the final.

So, without further ado, the nominations for WatchUSeek Forum Readers Favourite Watch of 2013...

Affordable Watch of 2013:
Lew & Huey Riccardo
An affordable mechanical chronograph that takes inspiration from rally chronographs of the ‘60s and ‘70s – a fun watch with serious specs, created by WUS member Docvail
Seagull ST19 automatic chronograph movement, 48hr power reserve
100m water resistance, Domed AR sapphire, Sapphire display back
42mm width, 14.5mm thickness, 48.5mm lug to lug, 20mm lug width
~$550

L&HRiccardoB&O.jpg

Digital Watch of 2013:
Casio G-Shock GW9400 'Rangeman'
The first GShock with Altimater Barometer Compass Thermometer using 2013's new v3 sensors - WUS' favourite tough watch just got better...
Features:
Atomic Timekeeping, Tough Solar, Casio v3 ABC, Thermometer
200m WR, mud resistant, low temp resistant, Shock resistant
31 timezone World time, 5 daily alarms, 1/100 sec stopwatch, 1 sec countdown, sunrise/set, etc.
Available with resin or carbon fibre band.
53.5mm width, 18.2mm thickness, 55.2mm lug to lug
~$300

GW9400_F4.jpg

Dive Watch of 2013:
Halios Tropik SS
The Halios Tropik SS combines all the specs that are expected in a dive watch and has put out a well built piece with timeless styling cues. Not over the top large or bulky, but still just as tough as any dive watch
Features:
Miyota 9015 automatic movement
300M WR, Domed AR sapphire, BGW9 (blue) Superluminova
316L SS case, SS bracelet or color matched shark skin strap
41mm width, 14mm thickness, 48mm lug-to-lug, 22mm lug width
~$650

TropikSS3.jpg

High Accouracy Quartz Watch of 2013:
Certina DS2 PreciDrive
A new high-accuracy chronograph movement, accurate to 10 seconds a year, debuting in a modestly priced 12-hour chronograph with 1/100th second chrono precision
Features:
ETA 251.264.CEN PreciDrive movement, +-10 s/yr, COSC available,
Independent hour hand for timezone change.
100m WR, Domed AR sapphire, SS case
41mm width, 12.5mm thickness, 51mm lug-to-lug, 22mm lug width
~$900
certina-ds-2-chronograph.jpg

(If anybody spots any errors on the details, let me know and I'll edit)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: WUS Awards: Favourite Watch of 2013

And I almost forgot:
How can an awards season not have a thank you speech!
A big thank you to BradJHomes, WatchCrank & RPalace for arranging the sub-fora nominations and voting.

Now let the grand final voting proceed!

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts

Please note that this is not authorized by Watchuseek and therefore should not read "Watchuseek Award".

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Please note that this is not authorized by Watchuseek and therefore should not read "Watchuseek Award".
Apologies Ernie.
The intent was of course a 'Reader's' favourite watch.

I am unable to edit the title, but if you can please change WUS award to WUS reader's award.

Thanks and best regards.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

Title Changed. When this idea came up originally I said that the WUS staff would not be involved officially, but obviously forgot to say the forum could not officially recognize it. I apologize.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Title Changed. When this idea came up originally I said that the WUS staff would not be involved officially, but obviously forgot to say the forum could not officially recognize it. I apologize.
Cheers Ray - Yes I did ask whether there was any issue with the idea.
But hey, we live and learn :) Hopefully no harm done.

As I said at the beginning, this is just meant as a bit of fun...

Back on with the vote everyone!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

My vote is cast for the Lew and Huey Riccardo. That is one seriously great looking watch with features that push all of my chronograph buttons! So much watch for so little money...brilliant Docvail!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Definately the halios tropik ss nice clean looking diver, all cool watches though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
40,382 Posts
Some great watches - all offering something different. I look forward to seeing which one wins. In my opinion, all are worthy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My vote is cast for the Lew and Huey Riccardo. That is one seriously great looking watch with features that push all of my chronograph buttons! So much watch for so little money...brilliant Docvail!
And if the Black and Orange doesn't grab you, do a search for the blue version.
It'll be interesting to see how it fares against the Tropik again with the wider audience.
(For those who didn't follow the excellent Affordables nomination thread, the Riccardo beat the Tropik there. But now the Tropik is back as the Dive winner - this time with a different audience).
Throw into the mix the best functionality G-Shock ever and the amazing precision of the Certina, and we have an interesting fight on our hands :)

·
Banned
5,646 Posts

When I first read the phrase "dressy diver" I was totally bemused.

When I first saw a picture of the Halios SS I totally understood

halios two.JPG

The balance between the hands and the markers is perfectly judge, with a nicely understated bezel. The date window is at the much more elegant 6 o'clock, and the wheel matches the dial. Lovely.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Some very nice watches here. By complete coincidence, my avatar - created for a long ago vote in a different subforum - is appropriate to my vote here, which went to fourth-listed watch, the Certina DS-2 PreciDrive.

·
Premium Member
33,441 Posts
That G-Shock has more bells and whistles than any three other watches combined.

A whole lot going on there for sure......

·
Registered
867 Posts
Voted for the Halios, as that would be the one I would be most likely to buy.

Maybe you could include links to the individual forum polls in the OP? I'd be curious to see what some of the runners up were, I imagine others would like to do the same, and that would make it easier.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gonna have to go with the Halios Tropik. Perfect dressy diver. Now if only it'll fall below $500....:p

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

None of the ones mentioned here. BTW, am I the only one who kinda likes the Lew & Huey, but hates the cheesy fonts they used on the dial?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts

I feel like we're missing a lot of choices here... I voted the Halios... but it was tough between that and the Riccardo.

·
Registered
910 Posts

None of these pieces I really like but if I have to vote, guess I would go for the Halios.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts