WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently purchased this Favre Leuba on the net, mainly because I like the Trident symbol, and because it has the power indicator. My belief had always been that the Favre Leuba symbol was always the hourglass inside a circle, but upon opening this, even the inside of the case back has this trident symbol. Is this the same as the other countless Favre Leubas? Does anyone know what this model is called? And the timeframe? Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,159 Posts
I don't know that much about Favre-Leuba, all I can say is that I've seen plenty without any symbol at all, just the namein a curve on the dial. As for the movement, it is a Felsa Cal. 699 "Permutator", a further development of the world's first movement with bidirectional automatic winding (Felsa 690) which has been extended with a power reserve:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Felsa 699 Permutator

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi!

Very nice FL, congrats!
From the design and the movement, it´s a typical 1950s´ watch. You´re right, the hour glass was/is the logo of FL, but in New York, the Favre Leuba Watch And Chronometer Co Inc existed, probably as dependance of FL Switzerland to import and sell FL watches in(to) the USA. Following Mikrolisk, this American FL company registered the trident as logo on 3rd of March in 1955. So the trident is to find on FLs for the US-market of a special time frame only, the US-import code on the movement - FNF - correspond with that and your FL is from the 2nd half of the 1950s.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to Mike186 and Hartmut Richter for providing this valuable info on this watch. I was unsure of date, and thought this watch was just out of the norm.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Cool, that was new to me as well. So far I had thought the trident was just a kind of "top of their line" hallmark, used in the 50ies, as I have only seen it on their Chronometers. Please note, that the movement is marked FYF, not FNF. I have recently bought a similar thing in 14k:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Great watch i love it the the chronometer was a part of the name (Favre Leuba Watch And Chronometer Co Inc) as was the trident it as a very nice movement and a great watch to own as part of any collection well done a nice find

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received one of my fathers watches after he passed away. It too has the trident as well as two dial chronograph. He wore it daily.

image.jpeg

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,159 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek! Looks like a rather nice chronograph from about the 1950s. If serviced, it should make a really good heirloom.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This is superficially analogous to vintage Ulysses Nardin watches that are sometimes marked "Ulysses Nardin Chronometer Co", but there are important differences. The latter rarely denoted actual chronometers, while I agree with others on this thread that the Favre-Lueba was likely a true chronometer when it left the factory.

I say that because of the adjustments noted on the rotor, the quality of the movement and case, and the uncommon use of the applied trident on the dial. Why it wasn't marked on the dial is an unknown, though.

Regards,

Tony C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts