WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently won an auction for almost no money for a Favre-Leuba. The price made me wonder about this piece, under $40 with free shipping from India. I have since read here about the propensity of fakes being sold. Here are some photos I took from the winning page. It looks like a repaint on the dial, but if the movement is sound I can live with that. Looking for any possible insight. Thank you.
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.08.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.08.21 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.07.53 AM.png

·
Registered
363 Posts
Redialled.
The twin power movement is correct for a Sea Chief. You might be lucky, but I doubt it. The case shows typical corrosion.
I took a punt on the very same watch and wasted $40. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same seller. He regularly changes ebay account name to avoid the bad reviews. The newly opened ebay accounts have a surprising amount of good feedback.

Expect a load of excuses about shipping, then the watch will arrive with just one or two days left for you to open an ebay claim.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

EDIT: Watch should not be called the "Sea Chief", it should be the "Saw you coming Chief".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What problems did you encounter? I'm hoping for a decent movement that runs reasonably well.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Hi there,

... I'm hoping for a decent movement that runs reasonably well.
Don't expect too much. These Twin-Power movements have a rather solid gold plating, and if they look like that, I wonder what happened to the steel parts of the movement.

If you drop it into the bin, close the cap quickly, because else the bin will kick it back.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, and you have the huge lot of luck necessary to get a usable old watch from India.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
363 Posts
What problems did you encounter? I'm hoping for a decent movement that runs reasonably well.
When it ticked it went like the clappers.
The balance spring was held in place with a mis sized pin and superglue.
A curved part of the balance staff had been flattened.
The chapter ring was loose and spins around.
My watch maker laughed at me.

Think of it as a life lesson.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll report back when it arrives. I'm hoping it's decent, but I'm mentally prepared to toss it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well. It arrived about 10 minutes ago. Wasn't running so I gave it a wind. Seemed alright. Put it on (came on an awful band). Turned it back over, it had stopped running. I tapped the case and it started running again. I've tried tapping it again, etc. to get it to stop running - but it's been going strong since. It's actually keeping decent time at the moment. The face was described as black, but it's actually very dark blue. A little smaller than I expected. for What I paid, it's okay so far. If it stops again, I'll bin it because it wouldn't be worth the time, energy, or dollars to fix.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: It's running about a minute fast already over the course of 5 minutes. I can't open this thing at the moment - but I don't see where I could adjust on the movement from the pic.

Trash bin: yum, yum...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wouldn’t bin it, twin power movements are quality and becoming more scarce.
Put it back in eBay and start 99p mention it runs fast etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn’t bin it, twin power movements are quality and becoming more scarce.
Put it back in eBay and start 99p mention it runs fast etc.
It has since settled down. I don't know what to make of it. Several hours now and it seems spot on. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I can eBay it or give it to a co-worker who seemed interested.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,130 Posts
When you say "gave it a wind" do you mean that you wound it right up, or just gave it a turn to get started?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
You did not win, you have lost.

When the package comes, let the delivery man drop it right into the trash can. Sorry to be so rude, but this is not a watch (despite a rotten Favre-Leuba twin barrel movement), this is an emetic.

But I tend to always see the positive things in life. I am certain, there are a few people dancing out on the street in Mumbai now. We too often make so much fun about them, let them have their consolation goal.

Holy cow!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's super accurate now. So weird. I'll give it a few more days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts