WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this piece from India and it runs like a top. I've been reading to stay clear but this little guy is a gem. I lucked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Another promotional thread for Bombay-specials (shortly after your first attempt where you had 'won' a Favre Leuba redial from a children's stamping set). You must be a very bad singer that you are happy to get a 10 Cents value for a song.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I collect mainly FL, an original unmolested example can be had with some patience and a keen eye. Ok you usually pay more but then again it’s worth it.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Since this sounds like encouragement to purchase Bombay Specials, it is not even the case that I want to give it a shelling. It is my duty to give it a solid barrage.

Got this piece from India
Why, it's hard not to notice that. Had bad feelings before I've clicked on this thread, and the view that presented itself after doing so hurts more than if I'd have rubbed a jalapeno pepper into my eyes.

...and it runs like a top.
Looking at the regulator and the condition of the centre wheel, that's unlikely.

I've been reading to stay clear
Yes, well, when warnings not to do something are all around, it's best to do that. "Oh, look, there's 'DANGER - MINES' on that sign, let's go for a jog there!"

but this little guy is a gem.
Save for the fact of it shining like cojones del perro ​(as cases tend to do after being treated with Cape Cod cloth), I see nothing even remotely gem-like about it.

I lucked out.
Yes, undoubtedly, it's only butchered, not entirely fake. Still, it's like saying, "I'm lucky, it's only bronchitis, not tuberculosis." I'm sorry, but Bombay Specials are a cancer anyway.

Got to love the stains of paint on the hour markers.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Since this sounds like encouragement to purchase Bombay Specials, it is not even the case that I want to give it a shelling. It is my duty to give it a solid barrage.

Why, it's hard not to notice that. Had bad feelings before I've clicked on this thread, and the view that presented itself after doing so hurts more than if I'd have rubbed a jalapeno pepper into my eyes.

Looking at the regulator and the condition of the centre wheel, that's unlikely.

Yes, well, when warnings not to do something are all around, it's best to do that. "Oh, look, there's 'DANGER - MINES' on that sign, let's go for a jog there!"

Save for the fact of it shining like cojones del perro ​(as cases tend to do after being treated with Cape Cod cloth), I see nothing even remotely gem-like about it.

Yes, undoubtedly, it's only butchered, not entirely fake. Still, it's like saying, "I'm lucky, it's only bronchitis, not tuberculosis." I'm sorry, but Bombay Specials are a cancer anyway.

Got to love the stains of paint on the hour markers.
And there’s me trying to be diplomatic

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Diplomacy has no real place here. It is the second crude attempt to promote eBay sales of Mumbai trash, although we can assume that these awkward efforts are made in the wrong forum and that it is quite unlikely that someone will fall for this nonsense.

I had another call last week from a 'John from Microsoft' telling me that the MS-headquarters are concerned about my computer and offering help to fix the problem. I am absoluetly certain, that someone on the other end was sitting there with a 'precious' Favre Leuba on his wrist.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Diplomacy has no real place here. It is the second crude attempt to promote eBay sales of Mumbai trash, although we can assume that these awkward efforts are made in the wrong forum and that it is quite unlikely that someone will fall for this nonsense.

I had another call last week from a 'John from Microsoft' telling me that the MS-headquarters are concerned about my computer and offering help to fix the problem. I am absoluetly certain, that someone on the other end was sitting there with a 'precious' Favre Leuba on his wrist.
There has not been a crude attempt to push FL from India by me. I'm merely starting out collecting, won some bids BEFORE finding out that it's a risky endeavour. I reported here the results, and you feel the need to .... all over me? Not cool at all.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I believe that history provides enough examples to prove that policy of appeasement is bound to fail every single time it is employed. As failure of appeasement is inevitable, I find it useless, and I have no patience for useless things.

Inducing a most unpleasant stimulus, i.e. giving the Bombay Special buyer a proper earful, which is to be associated with Bombay Specials in the future is far more efficient a method, and as far as I am concerned, it performs extraordinarily well. In other words, it is a matter of necessity that an earful should be indelicate, so that it clearly echoes in the head every single time that the person receiving the "MKWS Shock Therapy" plans to buy a Bombay Special. Because the echo of an ordinary round of criticism or a fairly mild verbal walloping doesn't sound quite as loud and clear as the original earful, the earful needs to be heavy and vicious enough for the echo to be a comprehensible, negative response of the mind to seeing a Bombay Special. Which, in the end, means creating a defensive mechanism against the urge to press the "Buy It Now" button on eBay, when it sits right next to a complete and utter pile of rubbish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are ways to do things with class and respect. And then there are ways to be vicious and disrespectful.

I'm sorry that I triggered anyone who read and participated in my posts in regards to FLs from India. I meant only to share my experience that obviously did not align with other person's experiences.

I won't post about them anymore, lest I ruin your day.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
There are ways to do things with class and respect. And then there are ways to be vicious and disrespectful.

I'm sorry that I triggered anyone who read and participated in my posts in regards to FLs from India. I meant only to share my experience that obviously did not align with other person's experiences.

I won't post about them anymore, lest I ruin your day.

I don't think the responses were as vicious and disrespectful as you are reading them. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same watch that you were given information on a couple weeks ago.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/favre-leuba-real-4664875.html I think some are just tired of explaining the same thing over and over again. These watches from India are renowned for having cleaned rusty movements, painted dials, etc... and the members here warn new collectors all the time about them. Most do not listen and think because the dial looks new and the case is polished to death, that they got a great deal.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
I don't think the responses were as vicious and disrespectful as you are reading them. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same watch that you were given information on a couple weeks ago.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/favre-leuba-real-4664875.html I think some are just tired of explaining the same thing over and over again. These watches from India are renowned for having cleaned rusty movements, painted dials, etc... and the members here warn new collectors all the time about them. Most do not listen and think because the dial looks new and the case is polished to death, that they got a great deal.
And even after people pointed out the issues with the watch from a collectible perspective, the OP continued to miss the point, e.g. insisting that he "lucked out" and that the watch was apparently running well, which was clearly not the issue.

The comments are associated with the watch, not the OP, so they are only vicious and disrespectful if the OP takes the watch's properties as a reflection on his personal qualities. We have all made poor decisions (or most of us, at least, since I think I recall @mkws saying that he had never made a bad purchase. ;-)), and only by listening to criticisms (without becoming defensive) can we learn from our mistakes.

If someone asks questions in advance and deliberately ignores advice, and then continues to flaunt and defend a watch that represents everything F11 tries to warn new collectors about, then it is fair (and perhaps necessary) to provide a sufficiently critical response that the OP and other new collectors will take note.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
And even after people pointed out the issues with the watch from a collectible perspective, the OP continued to miss the point, e.g. insisting that he "lucked out" and that the watch was apparently running well, which was clearly not the issue.

The comments are associated with the watch, not the OP, so they are only vicious and disrespectful if the OP takes the watch's properties as a reflection on his personal qualities. We have all made poor decisions (or most of us, at least, since I think I recall @mkws saying that he had never made a bad purchase. ;-)), and only by listening to criticisms (without becoming defensive) can we learn from our mistakes.

If someone asks questions in advance and deliberately ignores advice, and then continues to flaunt and defend a watch that represents everything F11 tries to warn new collectors about, then it is fair (and perhaps necessary) to provide a sufficiently critical response that the OP and other new collectors will take note.
Well said.

For what its worth, I did make what seemed to be a bad purchase once, but with a lot of effort to revive it, it turned out not half bad after all.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Well said.

For what its worth, I did make what seemed to be a bad purchase once, but with a lot of effort to revive it, it turned out not half bad after all.
"Regrets, I've had a few" as Francis Albert used to croon and, as I recall, you 'fessed up when you finally decided to expose your one to public gaze.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
"Regrets, I've had a few" as Francis Albert used to croon and, as I recall, you 'fessed up when you finally decided to expose your one to public gaze.
Why, I'm not a saint, everyone makes mistakes every now and then. The mistake has been brought back to life with a replacement dial, and currently runs at +4 seconds per day, which seems like a nice compensation for days of kicking myself over having bought a lemon.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts