WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I was rummaging around my drawer when I came across an old Favre-Leuba Sea King. Now I had bought this watch quite a few years back, but it stopped working and instead of fixing it I put it aside and it has languished in my drawer until I rediscovered it today and decided to see if I can fix it.

Was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the problem?

1) The watch is fully wound but is not working.
2) The crown can still be pulled out to adjust the hands.
3) I don't think the mainspring is broken because the crown springs back a little when I apply a little more force to overwind it.

I am quite a noob at watches but recently developed an interest in them, so I was hoping this experience will help me develop a better understanding and appreciation of horology.

Many thanks in advance! :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
First of all, it's probably full of old grease and dirt. Did you service it regularly when you were wearing it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope. i had not gotten it for long before it failed on me. probably like a couple of months? but i got it cheap (around 20 bucks?) which is why i thought i wouldnt make a fuss about it to the seller who sold me the watch.

would a sea king be worth sending for a service/repair though? i have a strong feeling the one i have is probably a reworked "indian" piece.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
We would need to see pictures of the watch (face, caseback, movement). If it is a "Bombay Special", then I am afraid that there's a risk of damage to the movement inflicted on it by hot and humid conditions it has been used and kept in.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,408 Posts
If a watch isn't serviced, the oils become sticky and create enough resistance in the geartrain that the whole watch stops ticking. If you shake it around vigorously and it works but stops when you stop shaking, it may well just require a good service. On the whole, buying a watch for 20 bucks represents a guarantee that you need to spend another 100 on it in the very near future.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts