WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Over on TZ, there is a dicsussion about Frederick Constant using Tirtium tubes in a dress watch. They actually claim to be the 1st watch company to use them in a dress watch. What, are they insane?

TimeZone was the 1st board to post this press release:

Is that not a dress watch?

The best part is that everyone thinks it is a novel idea...

Is everyone going nuts on TZ or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I like the work FC is doing. I also tend not to put too much stock in TZ.

I have tried to post there but it seems that there is a "cult of personality" regarding several watch choices and I just seem to fit in better in a niche group.

That said the FC is a fine watch and another great small company story.

I will post my Balls there as well as I would love to share them.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
After reading your post, Marc, I went over to check out that TZ thread. That FC is a nice looking watch(kind of bland for my taste, though), but the Ball Heritage is faaaaaar better looking, imho. :-!

That was too funny...Ball only makes "Butch" looking watches with tritium tubes! :-d

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
my favorite comment was: "...a watch dial is not a flashlight..." :roll:

·
Registered
460 Posts
And the REAL funny thing was that the thread was started by my colleague, Mr. Rolex, an old friend and co-author of my book!

He has attended dinners with us in Basel two years running. I guess he only noticed the Hydrocarbon. (AKA the "butch" watch)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the REAL funny thing was that the thread was started by my colleague, Mr. Rolex, an old friend and co-author of my book!

He has attended dinners with us in Basel two years running. I guess he only noticed the Hydrocarbon. (AKA the "butch" watch)
This kills me! I know! How helarious is that?!?!?

I just keep posting pictures of Ball watches from their own archives! lol...

·
Registered
831 Posts
That is really weird. I guess Dowling is not a Ball fan? FWIW, it does bring up a fair point e/ the Ball collection.

That post is on the public forum of TZ, without a TZ brand forum, even a handful of Balls on the sales corner w/ spectacular pics would increase brand recognition.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How on earth does Ball even qualify as a "butch" watch?

If that's the case, then would the FC in question qualify as "metro"?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
How on earth does Ball even qualify as a "butch" watch?

If that's the case, then would the FC in question qualify as "metro"?

I have never heard the term "Butch Watch." I do think the FC is very classy. I tend to be more sporty than dressy and have several fine dress watches already, but it is a cool option for the suit and tie person. Back in the day, a dress watch was more specifcally defined than it is today, often meaning small, round 18k handwind watches, w/out second hand or date...a simple yet elegant wrist watch.

In today's world, many of us are more casually clad, and even with a jacket and tie my Moonphase fits in with the norms of today's society. Now that I have the Nightrain also, I might put the rubber strap on the NT and the crocodile strap on the Moonie. It's all good...

·
Registered
460 Posts
"It's all good"

Yep. Notice my colleague James Dowling came on the TZ thread and apologized. Took the high road. I would have expected nothing less of him. Good guy.

Jeff

I have never heard the term "Butch Watch." I do think the FC is very classy. I tend to be more sporty than dressy and have several fine dress watches already, but it is a cool option for the suit and tie person. Back in the day, a dress watch was more specifcally defined than it is today, often meaning small, round 18k handwind watches, w/out second hand or date...a simple yet elegant wrist watch.

In today's world, many of us are more casually clad, and even with a jacket and tie my Moonphase fits in with the norms of today's society. Now that I have the Nightrain also, I might put the rubber strap on the NT and the crocodile strap on the Moonie. It's all good...[/quote]

·
Registered
94 Posts
"It's all good"
Yes, it's all good.
I do like the FC and most other watches that have a similar look (Trainmaster Heritage, Cleveland Express, etc.). I was just taken aback by the "butch" classification because i never encountered it before. :)

Greetings, Mr. Hess. I have yet to get my hands on the Rolex book you co-authored with Mr. Dowling, and i'd love to get a copy of the big black
Omega book as well, as i am a fan of both brands. But it's always a toss between "the book about the watch" or "the watch itself".

Any chance of a Ball book coming out in the near future?

Regards,
Jay

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
"It's all good"

Yep. Notice my colleague James Dowling came on the TZ thread and apologized. Took the high road. I would have expected nothing less of him. Good guy.

Jeff
It was a very classy end to a highly amusing thread.

I have to admit that the FC is very nice looking. I'd LOVE to see Ball release a clean, simple stick-markered white dress watch w/trit dots like the Trainmaster 60 Seconds has. I think that my Grand Seiko (pic below) is the prettiest white dress watch that I own, but I would sell it in a heartbeat if Ball released a similar 39 to 40mm design w/tritium and oyster-style bracelet. The EII Ohio is close, but. . . .

Rob

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here is an update of the FC piece just being released. I received the Frédérique Constant catalogue in my mail yesterday.

Page 43
Index Automatic
FC-303V6B4 Automatic, 28,800Bph, 25 jewels, Cotes de Genéve and perlage decoration. Silvered dial, date at three o'clock. Luminous hands with Clear Vision (TM) technology, applied baton hour markers with Clear Vision tube at twelve o'clock. Sapphire crystal, see-through case back, rose gold plated stainless steel case, 43 mm. Water-resistant to 10 ATM. Leather strap, optional folding clasp. 1200 CHF (swiss francs)

What do others think?

The catalogues' history begins with how FC claims that they were the first to have an open exhibition on the front of their dial showing the "heartbeat". Many wacth companies followed suit and they regret not having copyrighted or patented this creation. Perhaps this is where the "Clear vision (TM)" thing comes from? I don't know how different this can be since BALL, FC (trying to fit into this area), Traser, Uzi, Smith & Wesson, Dievas, MTM, KHS, Nite, Mondaine, Snoon, etc...have been using H3 way before them. :rodekaart Anyways, I think this is kind of funny for them to patent the "technology".

Pricing. Just under BALL and way over (double to triple) all the other brands listed in red.

This model appears to be trying to save on costs with two things....
Plated gold over SS. Well considering that some other FC models come in 18K and are heavily priced. This is decent alternative to bring the retail price down. I'm sure with sufficient pampering and keeping this away from the beach, the colouring may last and not vanish over time. Leather strap. BALL offers Crocodile and Alligator options on it's "dress watches".

All in all, I think the debate that this triggered here and over at TZ. I would take any BALL "dress" watch over this model trying to compete at BALL's level.

Other's thoughts?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It is a nice looking watch, certainly a dressy watch. I wish they would have left a stainless option without the plating as an option.

I still come from the school where a dress watch is a two hand mechanical 18k yellow watch. That said, I have many dressy watches, and I would consider the FC to be dressy. It will be interesting to see what comes down the pike from Ball, FC, and others.

For me, I am focusing on sportier watches these days, or watches that can live in both worlds. I may just wear my NT with a Blazer one day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It is a nice looking watch, certainly a dressy watch. I wish they would have left a stainless option without the plating as an option.
FC-303B6B6B Black dial SS case and bracelet 1100 swiss francs

FC-303S6B6 White dial SS case and leather bracelet 990 swiss francs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts