What feature is more important?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Often features are compaired amungst different G's. I have question regarding the angst of 2 options I have having to pick one over the other. I know that the 60 min CDT is an option but for me the 24 is an absolute requirement so for me personally, I have to pick one over the other.

Those being:
  • Solar/Atomic
  • A full 24 hour CDT
So which one do YOU concider more important?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'd rather have atomic/solar out of the two. I can get by without either, but for me, atomic/solar with 60 minute CDT would be my preference.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I do not really use the CDT so even with just the atomic, I would still NOT pick CDT. b-)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Atomic is the most important feature for me. Solar is nice, but IMO, this feature does need a little "babying" (if that's the right term).

So far anyway, I haven't had any real need for the CDT - at least yet... ;-)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I voted for the full 24 hr CDT...

But I do like Solar as well... If that had been in its own category, I may have chosen that!:-!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Of the two I'd take the CDT. The poll could've had another choice often available: 60 min CDT and Atomic/Solar. That's the trade off I often take.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm like Bruce... I'd LIKE the 24hr CDT AND Atomic Solar, but I'll settle for 60min CDT and Atomic Solar.

But UNlike Bruce, I think its not worth having a watch without solar. Citizen converted me with the Eco -Drive

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I love the solar/atomic G I have. It's good to wear, functionable, reliable and an overall great watch. However, I have a requirement for a multiple hour CDT on a day to day basis. I know I've said it before, but why in the world is the CDT limited on casio watches. Alas, the mistry continues. o| But clearly it must be something with the Atomic feature because G-5600-1JF for example has solar and a 100 hour! CDT.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'll always take the 24hr CDT. I don't ever NEED atomic or solar on the watch that I'm wearing. Frankly, I'm not sold on the toughness of Casio's solar technology. And I only need an atomic reference to set my watches by. It's not like I'll be wearing my watch at work some day, and immediately have a need for an alternative renewable energy source for my watch, at that exact moment; or have an immediate need for the exact atomic time. If I've set my G-Shock by an atomic source that week, I'll be within 3 or 4 seconds at any given time.

On the other hand, I could see myself suddenly needing a CDT timer that runs longer than 60 minutes.

If would be nice to have atomic timekeeping and a 24 hour CDT on the same watch, but it doesn't look like Casio agrees with me. No biggie though. Tough solar appears to be a prerequisite for Atomic Timekeeping, and I'm not sure that I'm ready for another Tough Solar failure any time soon, after 2 in the last year.

As you can see, I'm not terribly happy with Tough Solar right now. Other than my few ML2016 based Tough Solars, I just don't trust them like my normal lithium cell G-Shocks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do like the idea of using an Atomic Solar, but in essence we have been getting by with many other G shocks both past and present without them.

While I do use the count down timers, I rarely go beyond the 60 mins timer, and I find that I really enjoy using the pre-set timers that you find in the polygon G. So much faster to program than setting the timing for the CDT timer.

Now for my out of topic question which I often like to spring.

I wish Casio would put in a pedometer similar to the G meter found in certain Sony MP3 players and Sony erricson phones. Seem that the technology has been miniturized by quite a bit, and the best combo would be to have it in the Protrek module, best used by people on a trek to compute their distane and caloric requirements.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bet they could make one where you could set a mode where the stopwatch became a CDT or vice versa... And make it like 100 or 1000 hr either way. The only catch being you couldn't have both at the same moment.

The electronics for each should be virtually identical. They just increment in opposite directions.

Personally I'd gladly give up the stopwatch for a CDT.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I don't have a solar or atomic G, but can see ut's usefulness, but I've only ever used a countdown timer once. If it needs counting down to by the second, it's too stressful for me!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
CDT because it's a function, whereas solar and atomic are features.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I find in a practical sense, the solar/atomic combo to be the biggest innovation in watch design...an almost maintenance-free watch. :-!

CDTs are useful though, but I don't use them that often. 60 min ones are a bit limited...I wish they were at least 120 mins. :think:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I'm like Bruce... I'd LIKE the 24hr CDT AND Atomic Solar, but I'll settle for 60min CDT and Atomic Solar.

But UNlike Bruce, I think its not worth having a watch without solar. Citizen converted me with the Eco -Drive
You got me wrong there mate. If I can get solar I do. I love that feature. for me, atomic is a nice to have, but I can live without it. I'll take solar any day though, but not if it doesn't have a CDT.

Most of the time, a 60 min CDT is enough for me, but I often need more. This is one of the reasons I love my new Protrek so much. It has everything, including solar, except for atomic and I could've had that too if I wanted to spend more. So it IS possible for Casio to pack all the features we want into a single package. They've done it with the Protrek/Pathfinders. Why the hell won't they do it with the Gs? :-s
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I agree with Buzzbait 100% on this one...

Personally, I do not like Casio's new solar/atomic G's because of their features - or lack thereof.

For example, I own a GW-5600 and just bought a DW-5600E last night because I want date AND date displayed, a REAL countdown timer and the time displayed on CD and SW modes.

I don't need atomic - quartz is accurate enough and can be checked against time.gov.

I don't need solar - the battery will last 5+ years and at the price of a DW-5600E I can just throw it and get a new one (I dive with mine so I don't like to open them).

I'll take the classics any day...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with Buzzbait 100% on this one...

Personally, I do not like Casio's new solar/atomic G's because of their features - or lack thereof.

For example, I own a GW-5600 and just bought a DW-5600E last night because I want date AND date displayed, a REAL countdown timer and the time displayed on CD and SW modes.

I don't need atomic - quartz is accurate enough and can be checked against time.gov.

I don't need solar - the battery will last 5+ years and at the price of a DW-5600E I can just throw it and get a new one (I dive with mine so I don't like to open them).

I'll take the classics any day...
That sold me. dw5600 coming to my budding collection today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts