WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought it would ever happen to me but it did. I sold a watch, packaged it very well and discrete and did not disclose anything to them, dropped it off at a FedEx location for overnight and the was the last scan. Tracking says tendered at location in the system but the store says its already been picked up for the next location. I've been in contact with customer service in which I finally told them what was really inside and they been saying they will get back to me...

Super frustrating considering I have used FedEx overnight many times without any issues. Unfortunately the max insurance was only 1k the watch is worth 5 times that. What else can I do? Thanks for the any input.

·
Registered
642 Posts
How long has it been since you dropped it off? I wouldn’t panic until after several days or a week...things sometimes get lost in their system but eventually make it to the destination. It may not have scanned properly and is sitting in a bin waiting for manual processing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last scan is when I dropped it off on Monday and it was suppose to be delivered yesterday.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Last scan is when I dropped it off on Monday and it was suppose to be delivered yesterday.
There's still hope, man. Often the package is being routed properly, but the scanning back-end is lagged. What a lot of people may not realize is that "real-time tracking" is a software integration nightmare on the back-end, and when glitches happen, which they inevitably do, it's messy to clean up.

Fingers crossed, dude!

But yeah, like timefleas said, next time buy more insurance. I always buy the watch's current average retail value plus one standard deviation, just in case I have to replace it with a new one... ;)

Reactions: trf2271

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
How long has it been since you dropped it off? I wouldn’t panic until after several days or a week...things sometimes get lost in their system but eventually make it to the destination. It may not have scanned properly and is sitting in a bin waiting for manual processing.
I agree, it's too soon to panic. Shipping companies have usually estimated 7-8 days to find lost tracked items that we sent, depending on the circumstances. The ones I recall were found in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Fed Ex can lose things, but they usually figure it out after a few days.

Just stay on them until you get an answer.

good luck.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Insure for correct amount. I don't even sell expensive watches and pretty much insure anything headed out. Monday I shipped a watch and had it insured for transaction value, $425. One lost watch is all it takes to make the small extra spent on insurance worth it. USPS lost an $800 watch on me. Had to fight it a bit, but eventually, they paid up...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I send my expensive watches through USPS Registered Mail, insured for the proper amount. RM is kept under lock and key each leg of the journey and requires a record of every time it changes hands through the system. A bit more expensive, but you're talking about valuable items here.

·
Premium Member
64,752 Posts
Give it a few more days as I once had a watch that toured Europe on its way from Denmark. If it doesn’t show get FedEx to chase the parcel up.

·
Premium Member
8,536 Posts
I send my expensive watches through USPS Registered Mail, insured for the proper amount. RM is kept under lock and key each leg of the journey and requires a record of every time it changes hands through the system. A bit more expensive, but you're talking about valuable items here.

I have done that also. However.....google "USPS Registered Mail problems" and sadly, it does not seem to be as secure or as safe as what it's made out to be. Still, one can insure very expensive items using that service. I'd feel more comfortable using it than many other shipping services for an expensive watch.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
FedEx limits jewelry insurance to $1000. You'll have to lie about what's in it to insure above that.
I was not aware of this. It surprised me because I know alot of watch dealers use FedEx. Looking at their policy however it seems as if FedEx might be off the table as an option for us as private sellers of watches.

Quoted from thier site:

When it comes to jewelry shipments, the maximum declared value is limited to $1,000. If you need to ship jewelry for a special occasion or for a repair, please contact your insurance provider to make sure your jewelry is covered. Declared value is not insurance, and FedEx does not sell insurance.

If you ship jewelry on a regular basis, FedEx offers FedEx Declared Value Exception service. This contract-only service enables eligible shippers to declare a value up to $50,000 on jewelry items. It is not available for one-time jewelry shipments.​

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Personally I hate fed ex, their tracking sucks, and their delivery people are worse. Our house has a wrap around driveway to the rear were the main entrance is. Big sign on the "front" rear door- "ALL DELIVERIES AT REAR ENTRANCE OF BUIDING"

fed ex is the only one to leave packages there, if they actually get that far. Have found boxes in the grass as if tossed in the general direction and once an $300 set of headphones in middle of driveway on a day that it was pouring rain.

Their drivers are not employees, they are sub contractors that get paid by the route. Sooner they can finish, they can go home.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True most watch dealers use FedEx but under parcel pro or centinel group. I've shipped close to 100 watches with FedEx and never had an issue. Especially their overnight shipment. I'm just hoping it it is somewhere in one of their distribution centers. However the last scan on record is the only time when I dropped it off. They said they will get back to me once they've reviewed video. Still waiting on that though.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
All is not lost, have patience. USPS once misplaced a tracked package which contained a nice Tudor, it took several month yet finally (several months) the watch arrived to the buyer. I had already credited the amount to the buyer and, honest man he was, contacted me, advising his receipt of item and promptly paid once again.

Here's hoping you eventually find the watch.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I stopped using Fedex purely due to their prices and some needless drama at work trying to get some servers shipped. That was £60k of equipment and they couldn't tell me where it was, turned out a delivery driver just left it in a van overnight and nobody bothered to update the tracking. Never had them permanently lose anything though.

This is why I only use UPS now, I've never had one single problem with them despite selling over a hundred circuit boards which are incredibly fragile to people all across the world.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts