WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I decided to turn a long time dream into a reality this year, and set about designing my own watch; a dive watch named the 'Irukandji'.

For those who aren't aware, Irukandji are a group of small yet highly venomous jellyfish, indigenous to the coastline of North-Eastern Australia.

Specs would include: brushed 316L stainless steel case; drilled lugs; domed sapphire crystal with AR underside; 120-click unidirectional bezel with ceramic insert; signed screw-down crown; 200m WR; Seiko NH35.

Would love to hear your thoughts - the bits you like, the bits you'd change - things you connect with, or things that don't resonate.
Also which colour you like most, or another colour you'd like to see.
All feedback welcome and valued!

Thanks in advance,
Matt

blue render.jpg black render.jpg pink render.jpg case back render.jpg Irukandji sample dial blue.jpg Irukandji sample dial black.jpg Irukandji sample dial pink.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Don't mind the dial, it's a bit refreshing - it's still using the traditional circular minor hours and a typical chapter ring, but the quarter markers are a little different. That hot magenta one though, um, wow.
That's... bold.

The thin straight rectangle lugs look kind of lazy though, they're better suited to plainer dress watches in general. I think they look a bit out of place, plus the rendering makes them look like the whole case is polished, which I think is aesthetically mismatching.

Minute hand's too short to me, the handset shapes themselves are alright though. Something maybe you could try though would be to make one of the hands (or all of 'em!?) look like the jellyfish tentacles? For the caseback I don't really like the thin slab serif typeface used but the jellyfish embossing could be very nice I think.

The date window also I think needs to be reworked in my opinion, and I feel the bezel could do with some spice. Its zero dot is a bit too small too, if you ask me.

I find it quite interesting that you put the crown at 10. That's a very, very odd spot for a primary crown.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Doublepost.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the time to give feedback Karriope, it's greatly appreciated!

Re: dial colours, yes, the pink has definitely been polarising, and has actually poled pretty well against the black; the blue has been the favourite by a long shot.

Completely agree with you re: lugs - they don't look right at all in this render.
Here is a different case render that shows the lug shape better:

View attachment lug render.jpg

Oh, and the whole case will be brushed (another issue with this render).

Love the jellyfish tentacle idea - very cool :)

Yes, the 10 o'clock crown placement is another design element that has divided opinion. We wanted to go with something a little unconventional, and like the way Citizen have used the 8 o'clock position on some of their models.
For left-handers (or people who wear watches on their right hand), it definitely makes the crown more accessible.
For the majority (righties or left-hand wearers), it prevents the crown from digging into the hand, which is nice.

Thanks again!
Matt

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to give feedback Karriope, it's greatly appreciated!

Re: dial colours, yes, the pink has definitely been polarising, and has actually poled pretty well against the black; the blue has been the favourite by a long shot.

Completely agree with you re: lugs - they don't look right at all in this render.
Here is a different case render that shows the lug shape better:

Oh, and the whole case will be brushed (another issue with this render).

Love the jellyfish tentacle idea - very cool :)

Yes, the 10 o'clock crown placement is another design element that has divided opinion. We wanted to go with something a little unconventional, and like the way Citizen have used the 8 o'clock position on some of their models.
For left-handers (or people who wear watches on their right hand), it definitely makes the crown more accessible.
For the majority (righties or left-hand wearers), it prevents the crown from digging into the hand, which is nice.

Thanks again!
Matt
You're welcome! As someone who's trying to design something myself it's getting increasingly interesting to comment on others.

The magenta's definitely polarizing - I don't think I can match it to most outfits, as opposed to disliking it.

I was wondering how your case shape looked - the tapering case is more clear here whereas I'd been wondering if it was just a small bezel and dial and wider maincase. It's nice looking, but I wonder a little if it might affect grip on the bezel. Usually the wisdom is a wider bezel is easier to grasp. But it looks unusual which I like.
Lug shape looks fine from that angle but they are pretty thin for a diver, they kinda seem mismatched to the bellish case.

Going for a brushed case adds a more utilitarian look which can go either way, but should balance out the vibrance of the pink.
The destro crown is something I like and wish had more options, but generally setting crowns are not offset upwards - usually 8 or 4, not 10 or 2. I think ergonomically it's easier to manipulate a crown that's at 4/8 than 2/10.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I like the case shape, but I believe the lugs design doesn't match the theme - they are too thin and dressy. I would have preferred something beefier.

Dials look nice, but maybe a bit to dull. Maybe it is because the pictures are so big and it creates all these empty spaces; on the real scale it would probably look just fine. Did you have them manufactured by a 3rd party factory or did you make them yourself?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Something else I think that just popped to me is that the seconds hand is also too short for my taste, like the minute hand. The counterbalance on the other hand seems a tad long.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, yes, the magenta will definitely be more difficult to outfit-match than your standard blue/black/silver affair!

Thank you again for the feedback - it's certainly an enjoyable part of the design process hearing from others, and understanding where different eyes are drawn to; which features stand out etc. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, yes, the magenta will definitely be more difficult to outfit-match than your standard blue/black/silver affair!

Thank you again for the feedback - it's certainly an enjoyable part of the design process hearing from others, and understanding where different eyes are drawn to; which features stand out etc. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Utzelu, really appreciate you taking the time to give feedback!
Yes, I noticed once I uploaded them that they came through massive, sorry about that!
I am having prototypes manufactured by a third party - will be good to see them as 'in the hand' proportions, which will help clarify some of the points around the lugs, handset, dial layout, and whether the spacing and proportions are going to work.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A pink diver. Thats rather unsual. But great dial and case design overall.
Thanks Ray77, glad to hear that the overall dial and case design speaks to you.
Yes, the pink felt like a bit of a 'brave' choice in the beginning, but so many people have taken a liking to it. We will see if it translates into purchases when we finally get to that point, or whether people default to the more conventional black or blue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck with your project!

Suggestion:

Yellow bezel, black dial.

Name this version "sea wasp"

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironex_fleckeri
I love it! :)
I actually toyed with the 'Chironex' name when I was looking to name this model, and even considered going with a smaller variant called the 'Irukandji' and a larger (45/46mm) variant called the 'Chironex', but eventually settled on Irukandji.
:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something else I think that just popped to me is that the seconds hand is also too short for my taste, like the minute hand. The counterbalance on the other hand seems a tad long.
Agree completely - this is something that has taken a fair bit of time during prototype production... back and forth on different handsets, and trying to get the dimensions and balance right.
I should have some updated pics of the prototypes in the next week or so - I'll be sure to upload them so you can see what we landed on re: handsets. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
For me -

Bad:
All hands need to be a little longer
Lugs are lazy and not befitting of the case design in general

Good:
Like the bold use of colours, works well for a modern dive watch - could be polarising though!
Case shape looks pretty cool from the side profile render

I reckon an all yellow version (dial and bezel) would be pretty cool! Probably just me though haha.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me -

Bad:
All hands need to be a little longer
Lugs are lazy and not befitting of the case design in general

Good:
Like the bold use of colours, works well for a modern dive watch - could be polarising though!
Case shape looks pretty cool from the side profile render

I reckon an all yellow version (dial and bezel) would be pretty cool! Probably just me though haha.
Thanks for the feedback mate!

I think we've fixed up the hands now, will be great to get your input when prototypes arrive.
What sort of thing would you like to see re: lugs - is your concern about thickness, or that they don't flow/blend into the case?

I don't know... I like the sound of the yellow too!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick share of some pics from earlier in our prototyping stage - looking forward to sharing finished production prototype photos very soon! :)

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like the designs! One thing I would request - please add minute marks at each minute around the bezel instead of just at the five-minute marks. That would be handy for people like me. I am a paramedic and use the individual minute marks when I am administering medications (so many milligrams every so many minutes.....). It would also be handy for timing breaks when teaching classes. It is a deal breaker for me to only have a bezel marked at five-minute increments.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks great!

I like the crown at 10, definitely eye catching!

I'm a date guy so great to see the date window, but I think moving the date to 6 would give the dial a bit more symmetry.

How big is the watch?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts