WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really torn on what I want to do with a trade situation so I figured I'd get some advice from you all.

In short, I have:

16622 Yachtmaster
rlx.jpg

and a:

IW544505 Portuguese in 18K
iwc.jpg

- Both in pristine condition.
-I believe the Rolex is worth ~$7200.
-The IWC is probably worth $10K to $12K and lists at $20K.

I have the opportunity to strait trade for:

JLC AMVOX1 Platinum (preowned)
JLC.jpg

- Sells used for ~14K to 16K.
- limited edition

I'm not really a JLC fan but I've always liked this one. Here are some factors on the IWC:

- I really don't wear it (I wear the stainless model instead).
- It's still a nice addition in the small collection I have.

On the Rolex:

- Once again, I really don't wear it.
- Nice to have one Rolex in the collection.
- Regardless of anything, the YM is pretty awesome to me and holds a good value.

The JLC:

- I've wanted this one for years.
- The platinum is VERY cool.
- I'd wear it, a lot.
- 42.8 is a little smaller than I expected. (Expected 44mm in this. Not a show stopper.)
- Cuts down the two watches to one, making me inclined the fill the space and spend even more money. :^(

What would you guys do?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Any other info on what else you have in your collection might help - personally I'd keep the YM & IWC but thats because I'd see myself wearing those more often than the JLC, and you explicitly state the opposite view so making the trade seems totally valid. Based on your valuations it sounds like cash should come your way too though to make it a fair deal - I personally wouldn't be able to do the trade if I felt like I was gettign ripped off, regardless of what I'd wear, etc.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any other info on what else you have in your collection might help - personally I'd keep the YM & IWC but thats because I'd see myself wearing those more often than the JLC, and you explicitly state the opposite view so making the trade seems totally valid. Based on your valuations it sounds like cash should come your way too though to make it a fair deal - I personally wouldn't be able to do the trade if I felt like I was gettign ripped off, regardless of what I'd wear, etc.
Thanks for your response. It is with a Jeweler and I doubt they will give me $ back. I'm not going to make an issue of it since watch prices are so subjective anyway. I hear what you are saying though. Those are the most significant ones in my collection currently.

The IWC was also a big score for me so there is a bit of a sentimental thing with it too. This I think I can get over though for the JLC. This trade would also break my core collection that exists of a black and brown based dress watch, a bracelet watch, and a rubber strap sports watch ..a core for purpose. The brown and bracelet would be gone and I'd have more than one sports watch now. (In reality I can and do swap brown and black straps with my black stainless Portuguese.)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
IMO, watches are for wearing and a fantastic watch deserves to see the light of day.

You are going to wear it, a lot you say.

No contest (provided the sums add up).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Trade the Rolex for the JLC, then sell the IWC for $11k and buy a used Yachmaster for $7200.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You answered yourself "I've wanted it for years." Go for it! Nothing is really based in logic in this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the YM and IWC in your collection are excellent watches. Personally I would not trade them. I'll tell you one thing nothing holds value like a Rolex. I sold my YM couple years ago before they discontinued it for 5k so seems like the price is going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
In my humble opinion, I think it’s always good to buy a watch you’ll wear, and liquidate watches you won’t. So I’d encourage you to pick up the JLC and dump the Rolex and IWC.

That said, I think the particular deal you’re considering is a bad one. Your valuations of your watches are pretty accurate. On the private market, you’re looking at around $17,500 for both, worse-case scenario. Best-case, close to $20k. Conversly, the average price of that JLC hovers just around $16k. Right now on Chrono24, a reputable store in the UK has a mint-condition one listed at $14,086 plus $30 shipping to the US.

I’d sell the Rolex and IWC privately, and find a good deal on the JLC.

If it were just a couple of hundred bucks either way, I’d skip the headache and make the trade the dealer is offering you... But even at the low-end, you’re losing like $2k of value on that deal.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I would not make the trade if it were me because the two watches you are trading constitute an entire collection in their own right. The Yachtmaster is a versatile sports watch that can pull off semiformal and the IWC is a dressy watch that can work casually having a dark dial.

The watch you would be receving is not really dressy enough for formal or semiformal having so much yellow and not very practical as a hard wear sports watch being precious metal.

All that said, if you would wear it much more than the ones you are trading, then you should make the deal.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^
But he already has the same IWC in Rose Gold, and if he rarely bothers with lifting the YM out of the watch box, what’s the point in having it?

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the responses and good input. As it stands now I'm out on this one since they want $$ in addition to the trade. Ain't no way on that one.

I began to look into the option of trading for a YM2. They want money too. They are all looking to shyster me because they are in fact ...jewelers.

"starter" made a good point just selling myself. Then I'd have the freedom to do what I want. I'm having a good day with my YM (have it on) so my thoughts are different ....at the moment (you know how this goes). :^P

Thanks again for the help and advice on this, at any rate.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thanks for all the responses and good input. As it stands now I'm out on this one since they want $$ in addition to the trade. Ain't no way on that one.

I began to look into the option of trading for a YM2. They want money too. They are all looking to shyster me because they are in fact ...jewelers.

"starter" made a good point just selling myself. Then I'd have the freedom to do what I want. I'm having a good day with my YM (have it on) so my thoughts are different ....at the moment (you know how this goes). :^P

Thanks again for the help and advice on this, at any rate.
They want the better end of the deal, at a minimum, by around $2k, and at the maximum, by around $4k. And they want to get paid on top of it.

Don’t miss this terrific deal! :-! :-d

·
Registered
452 Posts
See if you can get the Tudor Pelagos for it too. That way you would have a bracelet divers. Or try to get something in the Tudor price range with the JLC.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you're lusting after it and will be wearing it a lot more, I'd say go for it. Always better to have a watch in rotation than just sitting in a box. Good luck with your choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts