WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here

Fenix 6 (Solar?) & Tactical Garmin Instinct

100608 Views 446 Replies 50 Participants Last post by  gaijin
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 447 Posts
While it will be expensive, if the Fenix Solar comes to fruition..watch out.

Well, there may be some substance to these watches. That's all I can say but we'll see around CES '20 (edit: maybe sooner).
Peekaboo, I see you Fenix 6x:

See less See more
Reactions: 1
ha - that' why i copied the text and pulled over the pics, I thought that might happen ... but interesting part is the pre-order capability and the release date of Aug 29th. Was that a mistake? A tentative, not confirmed date?

The latter would make more sense since the toothpaste is out of the tube and any buyers who've seen this will likely wait for the new release, so what purpose does it serve to pull down the link??

Unless the date is unconfirmed and/or Garmin is running into quality / release issues
All the topics and posts on the Garmin forum were deleted, so one would think that there is substance to 8/29 as being a release date. Surprised that they're going to release it now and not CES but this is designed for the Xmas sales in mind.
Other than color and a few software tweaks for Tactical features, I don’t see anything myself. While I prefer the all black Instinct, the 5+ meets my needs cosmetically and the Mk1 for my diving needs.
Reactions: 2
Could someone post what software tweaks did they do with the Tactical Instinct? If I'm not mistaken I saw something related to parachute and night vision. Good for me if it drive's down the price of the original Instinct a little more. :)
Stealth Mode (shuts down all signals coming from the watch)

Backlight that works with NVG

We'll get the official announcement soon, that's when we can confirm everything.
For those that are interested:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/641479/pn/010-02158-10#

Sales are now live.
A Fenix 6X Sapphire has been ordered. Solar will wait for better panels. 10% price for 10% battery... not this time. :-D

Ready for the 11000 words review of DCrainmaker ?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/garmin-fenix6-pro-solar-series-review.html
I ordered the F6 w/ Sapphire, should be here tomorrow.

And this... MIL-810G

Pictures soon, updating Maps
See less See more
Reactions: 4
BTW the Fenix 6 got normal spring bars.
The previous versions used long screws.

The springbars are thick and sturdy similar to the Instinct's but at least it is easy to remove them and try new bands and straps.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk
People have been questioning why Garmin moved to spring bars and I believe they did that so it's easier to change to other straps. People may ha e been over tightening the system screws and stripping or breaking them (just a thought), so I don't mind the spring bars. It's still MIL Spec, which I'm happy for. I just dropped my F6 a few minutes ago in the kitchen...whew...it was ok.

I REALLY love the new ABC/Compass widget, with the Heading Lock. I missed that from some of my Protrek's. I'm also loving the Timers on the F6..fav feature from the Instinct.
Reactions: 3
Enough pictures of the F6 already out there but what the hell, why not add more:

See less See more
Reactions: 5
I debated on getting the Solar but was leery about Garmin’s first jump into this technology for wearables. When the 6+ or 7 comes out, maybe I’ll look at it.

The “x” version always gets the new feature and then the next upgrade, the other models get it, while the “x” gets another new feature (5x-maps, 5x+-PulseOx, 6x-Solar).
So what we got so far declared in F296 ?

FENIX 6 PRO SAPPHIRE
-Odie

FENIX 6 PRO SAPPHIRE TITANIUM
-Nemo

FENIX 6X PRO GORILLA
-Gaijin

FENIX 6X PRO SAPPHIRE
-elborderas

FENIX 6X PRO SOLAR
-Divine Madcat
Did you just volunteer yourself to keep tracking of everyone's models? New topic made?
What GPS settings are you using?
So, I love my solar, but am paranoid about any crystal that isn't sapphire. So, seeing that the crystal of the solar is the same size as the FR935, I installed a quality glass protector. Gotta say I am pumped about the results. Still has great clarity, and the charging still seems good after an extended test on my car dash.. View attachment 14453285 View attachment 14453287
Careful

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=1KjlCNoRJe8o3Xq5qSx428

"Can I use a screen protector with the fenix 6X Pro Solar?

Garmin does not recommend the use any kind screen protector, as it will reduce the solar intensity received by the Power Glass lens."
I’m very happy with my F6. Too many people ..... and complain over at the Garmin forums about how bad their watches are when some of the responsibility has to fall on them for just not knowing how to use the watch.

These type of watch, due to their complexity, will never be perfect but compared to most other manufacturers Garmin really does have a plethora of features.
Reactions: 4
Black Nick Mankey hook strap for the week end.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk
I just ordered this strap, as I like my bands to be flexible when it's a hot day outside.
1 - 20 of 447 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.