WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
DC Rainmaker's Answer: Nope, they don't actually record continously - even if the GPS is on. Hence my frustration point. To illustrate this, when I was on the plane and the unit couln't get signal (middle section on a widebody), none of the HR/Temp data was recorded. Same goes for the freezer tests.
Hi.
Even if Garmin intended for this behavior, I'll agree it's a problem (user perspective) that should be fixed... into the table it goes.

I'll phrase the problem this way: "ANT/HR and Temp/Baro Sensor data is not recorded when there is no GPS signal"

Have you confirmed this behavior? I haven't tried yet.
------- edit ----
Hmmm. I no longer see an "Edit Post" option for my Post #1 with the Table in it. I wonder it I hit an Edit limit or something...

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI - 2.70 was just released

Official list:

Changes from version 2.60 to version 2.70:
Added ability to import Garmin Connect Courses as tracks for navigation, viewing on map, etc. Plan a course at http://connect.garmin.com/courses.
Added ability to save FIT track files with more than 10,000 points (now number of points are only limited by memory available on device). Note: Setup>Tracks>Output must be set to 'FIT' only.
Added Off Course alert (Alerts>Distance>Off Course).
Added ability to configure the Back button behavior while viewing data pages (Setup>System>Hot Keys>Data Page Back).
Added ability to set FIT activity type (Setup>Fitness>FIT Activity).
Added percentage of max heart rate data fields (HR %MAX, AVG HR %, LAP HR %).
Improved time to save track data. Note: the GPX track format results in large file sizes. For faster save times, additional storage space, and if track navigation, etc. is not required for the track being recorded, please consider setting Setup>Tracks>Output to 'FIT'.
Improved compatibility of FIT files with some 3rd party websites.
Improved display of distance data fields to show additional precision after 10 miles/kilometers.
Improved calculation of ascent/descent data.
Improved display of speed data field when greater than 100mph/kph.
Fixed issues with display of grade data field.
Fixed issues with displaying all tracks in the Tracks list.
Fixed issues with back button usage in Map pan mode.
Fixed issues when downloading chirp data.
Fixed issue with Tone settings not being used properly when displaying the low battery message.
Fixed issue with backlight that could result in decreased battery life while in watch mode.

Un-official list (from stuff I identified):

•Cannot download courses Garmin Connect to the unit
•Garmin Connect doesn't know the type or activity class from uploaded files (i.e. Run/Bike/Hike)
•Non-compatible .FIT file formatting (3rd party apps like TrainingPeaks seem to fail on many Fenix .FIT files)
•In order to set a lap, you must actually HOLD the button down for 2 seconds
•In my case though, on both Chirps I have, finding a Chirp was akin to killing the Fenix. Chirp, Chirp, dead. Within seconds of finding the Chirps (and those photos above), the unit would hard power off.

Additionally, I've been told by the GC team that the following are fixed from this thread (yes, they are reading it):

•Issues addressed from the watchuseek thread referenced:
◦Tracks not showing up in the tracks list
◦FIT format distance reporting
◦Low battery message tone

Speaking to the post above mine, I got some clarification on that today from the Fenix team.

1) "Always On" only refers to what occurs when the watch is in non-GPS/non-recording mode. So basically just day to day watch mode. I've updated my review and comments to clarify.

2) On the second piece of that question, that is indeed correct - if the unit loses GPS signal, as of today in 2.70 and below, it stops recording sensor data. It sounds like they are keenly aware that we're considering that a problem.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
2.70. Excellent Timing.

As of today, I can no longer edit The Table in post #1. WUS site has some kind of statute of limitations on editing posts.

... So, this thread is CLOSED.... for the table at least. We/I can start a new one for 2.7, if it needs it. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah, I found this threading editing limit as well. It's something like a week or two, then the posts are locked to edit. I had an Ambit thread that I was updating the first post in that did that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Un-official list (from stuff I identified):

•Cannot download courses Garmin Connect to the unit
•Garmin Connect doesn't know the type or activity class from uploaded files (i.e. Run/Bike/Hike)
•Non-compatible .FIT file formatting (3rd party apps like TrainingPeaks seem to fail on many Fenix .FIT files)
•In order to set a lap, you must actually HOLD the button down for 2 seconds
•In my case though, on both Chirps I have, finding a Chirp was akin to killing the Fenix. Chirp, Chirp, dead. Within seconds of finding the Chirps (and those photos above), the unit would hard power off.
Hi.
To clarify, are all these items confirmed fixed in 2.70, including the deadly Chirps? (I see the first 3 are listed in the notes)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi.
To clarify, are all these items confirmed fixed in 2.70, including the deadly Chirps? (I see the first 3 are listed in the notes)
Yes, I've just confirmed that both my deadly Chirps are no longer causing death to the Fenix. Chirp-Chirp-Happy. It picks up the Chirp, then shows me details (and OK), and the details appear correct. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found that Fenix only have "pan mode" in the principal Navigation view, with the GPS ON. In other Maps views you can do ZOOM but not PAN. It's important that we can do PAN, in any Map view, for example when you go to Map view in the Waypoint or track menu.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.