WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Fenix2 simply does not functions! I had it for 8 months but only problems! Crash, freeze, wrong distance...
Software and antenna are poor!

Fenix3...I will test it soon!

·
Registered
101 Posts
For sure the fenix 3 is an improvement in terms of aesthetics. It is not better looking than ambit 3 but i could wear it.

The most significant feature for me is connect iq. With this you can see metric like stride mechanic or hydration lever or whatever,
from other devices and thus, have a better picture of your performance in real time.
Suunto apps are of very limited capability and can not compete with that feature.

In terms of reliability, i guess it is just bad luck. I am also reading garmin forums, but my edge 510 works fine with no problems.
Keep in mine that the people who usually express their opinion in forums are those who have problems not those who
are satisfied with the product.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For sure the fenix 3 is an improvement in terms of aesthetics. It is not better looking than ambit 3 but i could wear it.

The most significant feature for me is connect iq. With this you can see metric like stride mechanic or hydration lever or whatever,
from other devices and thus, have a better picture of your performance in real time.
Suunto apps are of very limited capability and can not compete with that feature.

In terms of reliability, i guess it is just bad luck. I am also reading garmin forums, but my edge 510 works fine with no problems.
Keep in mine that the people who usually express their opinion in forums are those who have problems not those who
are satisfied with the product.
The fact that it doesn't seem to be the case here shows just how happy people are with their Ambits (compared the the Fenix watches at the Garmin forums). You can get a pretty good idea of comparative reliability between two watches by getting a pulse on the overall tone of the posts in the respective forums.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had the 1st ten Ambit and now the Ambit 2 for close to a year.

I wasn't going to upgrade to the Ambit 3, did not have the extra benefits for me going to it, and I personally think Suunto dropped the ball not including vibration alerts!....

Seeing this new Fenix has got me really interested.

Ability to change settings in the watch, better resolution screen than Ambit 2 (not sure over Ambit 3) Ability to use different watch bands, Vibration alerts and also ability to not rely on a computer to offload / upload data.

These features are tempting me a lot...

Will see how it pans out, need to confirm it can do MGRS for navigation and Mils for compass and then I'll probably get one. Not have Basemap is no concern for me, Ambits never had it, so no loss there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To me ambit 2, 3 looks like a piece of junk on my hand, I just use mine ...only because of its reliability.. anyway...for sure F3 ooks way better than ambit 3...

·
Registered
566 Posts
To me ambit 2, 3 looks like a piece of junk on my hand, I just use mine ...only because of its reliability.. anyway...for sure F3 ooks way better than ambit 3...
It's funny how people see things differently. It looked to me like the Fenix3 stole the Ambit 3 bezel... Don't they both have the metal ring with inset screws? Just a different button layout after that. And I guess different band.

Oh, and the Fenix3 is missing the Ambit antenna bump, right? So that nice.... if they have the fast GPS times of Ambit, which we haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh, and the Fenix3 is missing the Ambit antenna bump, right? So that nice....
yeah- also, the F3 has the thickness of the 2S/3Sport, with claimed 20hr battery life. It's a 300mAhr battery- so they must have really worked hard to reduce energy consumption on the new F3. Amazing, with that high res color display, ANT and BT, vibe, and such. I kinda like the looks of the new F3, even a touch better than the Ambits.

Looks like a nice product if it's stable. the thought of manually re-loading 10 sport modes, each with 4 screens and 3 variables per screen after every time you need to do a hard re-boot... just doesn't play. yeah- it's got a few nice features, but my Ambit 2S just works. Perfectly. all the time. I never need to yell at it or get frustrated. That's worth a LOT!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think the Ambit2 looks great, although I wish it were thinner. If they good do that without sacrificing functionality or battery life then that would be ideal. Given that the Garmin basically copies the Ambit2 design and the new Fenix looks just as good now, and is also thinner, that would seem to be the next logical improvement that Suunto would make on the Ambit 4.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the Ambit2 looks great, although I wish it were thinner. If they good do that without sacrificing functionality or battery life then that would be ideal. Given that the Garmin basically copies the Ambit2 design and the new Fenix looks just as good now, and is also thinner, that would seem to be the next logical improvement that Suunto would make on the Ambit 4.

I found the original Ambit bezel prone to knocks and marked easily.

Ambit 2 (and I guess Ambit 3) bezel is a lot better, less prone to knocks and takes a beating.

My concern with the Fenix 3 is that it does look like the First Ambit bezel with the point, just hope the bezel is as forgiving as the Ambit 2/3...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Garmin is French for "FAIL". I have lost so many workouts to crashing Garmins that I am pleasantly surprised when my Garmin actually works, and Garmin Connect is actually working so I can log the info. My next purchase will be an Ambit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The fact that it doesn't seem to be the case here shows just how happy people are with their Ambits (compared the the Fenix watches at the Garmin forums). You can get a pretty good idea of comparative reliability between two watches by getting a pulse on the overall tone of the posts in the respective forums.
There is another point of view for that: More sales more problems, less sales less problems.
Moreover, Garmin has a forum available for their customers to express themselves, Suunto does not.

I have one Polar and one Garmin device at the moment and had 3 Suunto devices in the past.
I didn't/don't have problems with any of them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a Fenix (1) and I spent 1 year debbuging it. I had battery issues, long time GPS fix, bad accuracy,... I went with Ambit 2 and no problem with it. It has les functions ad doesnt' have metal band but it works all the time, its reliability is perfect and I managed to last more than 2 months with charging it just one time with all sensors on. With the fenix, just with the time and sensors on, the battery life couldn't be more than 15 days (and I switched it off every night !)

Fenix 3 has just a 300 mah battery. No idea if it will last more than Fenix 1. It will be very difficult to trust Garmin for me now... It should be great to have Suunto copying Garmin with all its functions and all metal watch.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There is another point of view for that: More sales more problems, less sales less problems.
Moreover, Garmin has a forum available for their customers to express themselves, Suunto does not.
No matter the volume you're always going to get posts from happy campers and those who have problems. It's the proportion between the two that you want to get a sense of. Moreover, you look at the types of problems as well. Garmin has quite a few serious problem postings, with watches freezing, losing workout data, watch resetting. I have yet to see someone posting here that their watch froze and that they lost workout data as a result. These types of problems are deal breakers. Suunto watches are simply more reliable. End of story.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Not according to DCRainmaker... Connect IQ looks like a dud of epic proportions. Those apps completely replace, rather than complement the sport modes on the watch... That stride mechanic or hydration app is standalone and not used in conjunction with "Running" for example.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not according to DCRainmaker... Connect IQ looks like a dud of epic proportions. Those apps completely replace, rather than complement the sport modes on the watch... That stride mechanic or hydration app is standalone and not used in conjunction with "Running" for example.
I agree that Connect IQ is at the moment half-baked, to say the least. I don't know if this is due to stupidity or incapability, or garmin has something else in their mind.
I hope that they will correct it.
My secret hope though, is that Connect IQ will give a push to Suunto and Polar to move in the direction of integrating
data from other devices into their own watches, because both ambit and v800 look much nicer that everything Garmin has ever made and i prefer to wear one of these.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that Connect IQ is at the moment half-baked, to say the least. I don't know if this is due to stupidity or incapability, or garmin has something else in their mind.
I wouldn't be too fast to jump to such a conclusion. Connect IQ seems to be far more promising then Suunto Apps is atm.

Beside 'Apps' which are fully functional and are used as was pointed above instead of 'sport modes' (basically you can have a 'Running' app with some new functionality to replace the 'Running' sport mode) Connect IQ also will allow 'data fields' (which can be used in sport modes and basically look like Suunto Apps), 'watch faces' (well I don't see a way to change the main 'watch' page in Suunto.. do you?) and 'widgets' (just read pages like weather widged.. Accuweather was shown as an example).

Say what you want, for me it looks very promising and the software developer's creativity can really change the way Garmin watches [email protected] hopefully they will return the basemap functionality also :p

Beside this 'promised' candy there is also stability and GPS accuracy.. this were the reasons I sold my Fenix 2 and got Ambit 3. But if Garmin made an improvement on this field... well then Suunto has a lot to think about!

Lookwise.. I think Fenix 3 is a very good looking watch, especially the Sapphire version.. even if it looks very Ambit'ish ;) I will probably buy it just to see how it works.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I finally decided to buy ambit 3 peak.

My first choise in terms of looks was V800, but it was the last in terms of functionality.
My first choise in terms of functionality was fenix 3, but it was the last in terms of looks.
Ambit peak 3 was second in both categories.

The main reason for my choise was price. I bought it 320 euro (new, with hrm, including delivery).
I might also buy fenix 3 in a few months if i find a good deal, or if connect iq expands in a way that gives functionality
and connectivity with other devices that are interesting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
fēnix3 is using the same codebase as the Forerunner 920xt, which is MUCH more stable then the fēnix2 which was the worst Garmin unit I’ve ever used.

Due to the codebase and hardware similarities these should carry over to the fēnix3.

ALL settings and data fields are easy to back up and restore. The only information that you’ll lose on a reset is your VO2 max and watch totals.

GPS accuracy on the 920xt has unseated my previous GPS champion the Ambit2S. The Ambit2S was amazing but the 920xt’s accuracy is unbelievable.

There are no complaints of battery life with the 920xt and BLE. With notifications only it’s supposed to last 1 month. I’ve used 80% of my battery in 1 week with frequent notifications (vibration and light for each), 4 hours of GPS runs with HRM, and 7+ hours of other workouts (mostly trainer biking with speed, HRM, and power meter). Also remember it’s tracking all my steps and sleep as well.

Syncing on the 920xt is MUCH faster and more reliable then the fēnix2 using bluetooth. Wifi…forget it, uploads take 2-3 seconds.

Have any of you used Connect IQ? The data fields are just that…data fields. They can replace one field and be used during the appropriate exercises. There are already a few cool data fields. (i.e. a HR field that displays the HR number and in the background changes color based on which zone you’re in, Half-marathon calculator that calculates your finish time based on time elapsed, current position, and current pace)

Apps are a completely different category and none have been released yet. Once we start seeing the pay for apps made by companies, I expect will see some impressive things in the future.

Watch faces are just that.

Reliability? I’ve owned a Suunto T3, T6c, & Ambit 2S. Garmin 405, 610, 910xt, 920xt. The only unit that needed to be replaced was the 910 (at cost to Garmin). As for losing workouts, on Garmin connect I have 2451 activities. I can count on one hand the number of corrupt or lost workouts I’ve had.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hope this helps.
It sure looks promising!
I already preordered F3, when I will get it around February/March (I hope) I will surely test it against Ambit 3 and see how they compare :)

·
Registered
397 Posts

GPS accuracy on the 920xt has unseated my previous GPS champion the Ambit2S. The Ambit2S was amazing but the 920xt’s accuracy is unbelievable.
Thanks for your thoughts on the 920 and Fenix.

How have you assessed the GPS Accuracy? My Ambit 2S seems to be about as accurate as I can tell. i.e. if I run an complicated out and back, the distance back is always the same as the distance out... at least to better than 1/10mi. Which means it's consistent. it may or may not mean it's 'accurate'. Ran a certified marathon course last month and it came up 26.3. Pretty close.

Happy to hear about the great stability. My experience with some gamins has been stable (310, edge 500) and others not very stable (405's). I truly want a Fenix3... but I'm not ready to be an early adopter. I want Garmin to work any bugs out on others first. :)

21 - 40 of 94 Posts