WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, New to this forum , just started collecting vintage movements.I was following your forum for last few months , and u guys are really helpful.I am posting pictures of fhf movement , want to know the production year of the model and it was probably used in west end watches . Thanks in Advance

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,414 Posts
Moved to the more suitable forum.
The W in a star clearly is a hint that that movement was mounted into a West End watch made by West End Watch Co. / Droz, Amstutz & Co.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I think that arrow mark is NOT West End Watch Co
BUT
Fabrique De Horlogerie Fontainmellon
Its an arrow through an apple?

Acknowledgements : Mikrolisk

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I think that arrow mark is NOT West End Watch Co
BUT
Fabrique De Horlogerie Fontainmellon
Its an arrow through an apple?

Acknowledgements : Mikrolisk
The West End Watch Co. mark is the Star of David with W in middle on the movement in the first pic.. so FHF movement used in a West End Watch.. no idea about date though..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You guys for the information but still waiting for somebody who can tell the approx production date

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
The West End Watch Co. mark is the Star of David with W in middle on the movement in the first pic.. so FHF movement used in a West End Watch.. no idea about date though..
True
Thanks for adding that, I was talking about movement.

Production date, Impossible to sate with just that movement.
I can say 1900s/1910s maybe 1920s

What is movement size, may help a little.
But prior between 1900 and 1930

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,053 Posts
Fontainemelon (FHF) was one of the three founders of the Ebauches SA Trust (alongside Adolf Schild and Adolf Michel). The ESA was set up in the dying days of 1926 (27. December!). According to Watch Wiki, the "TR" in a shield logo was introduced in 1936 so the movement must be earlier than this. The ESA shield with maker's letters (as still used by ETA) was introduced in 1939.

Still, my gut feeling tells me that the movement is somewhat earlier than that, possibly pre-WW1. If it is a Cal. 278 as suggested by the numbers on the dial side, Ranfft shows a rather different (later) bridge layout:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 278

Hartmut Richter

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,799 Posts
I think Roland is quite clear that the TR mark was used much earlier than that within the ESA group - certainly you can find it on the AS bases of Harwood movements and we know they are pre 1930. However I've not seen the West End mark on earlier movements so I'd suggest post 1930 for this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for your input, the size of the movement is approx. "24.80mm" and according to swiss ligne chart it is 11 lignes.Though one question is moving in my mind is that whether fontainemelon used the arrow trademark after 1930s or pre 1920s ? it may be a clue.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Thanks guys for your input, the size of the movement is approx. "24.80mm" and according to swiss ligne chart it is 11 lignes.Though one question is moving in my mind is that whether fontainemelon used the arrow trademark after 1930s or pre 1920s ? it may be a clue.
At 25mm, I would say it was always a wristwatch.
So my guess its an 8 day Helbros wristwatch probably early 1930s, made to compete with the start of automatics in 1926 to 1930.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Yeh, I don't think that barrel will hold an 8 day mainspring :)

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Yep, I have those.
May look but it takes ages to the untrained eye.
Why so important?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts