WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just acquired a Vintage Vulcain Cricket watch and was wondering if anyone can help me place a date on it using the serial number. Maybe they did it sequentially?

The story from the original owner was that he got it as a gift from his father in 1943. However, the cricket was not introduced till 1947.

The serial number on the case back is 305001.

Hope you can help.

I will post some photos once I get a chance.

Thank you all.

Christopher

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,053 Posts
The Cricket patent was applied for on 27. September 1943. I doubt, however, that yours is as early as that (one could not per se exclude the possibility that you have a rare prototype). In M.P. Horlbeck's book on wrist alarms, some pictures of Crickets are shown, the early ones all with Cal. 120 (later on, as the movement changed slightly, the calibre designations also changed; the 120 is the earliest type). One watch has 307004 but aother has 303002. A third has 414832. All I can therefore say is that you have an early Cricket but not the very earliest. Probably 1947-1950 would be my guess.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response. I emailed Vulcain but they do not have any records of the vintage watches, so they could not help.

I asked the original owner again and he said that he recalls it was 1943 / 44 when he got it as a gift from his father.

I have attached some photos of the watch. The movement is marked 120.

Regards,

Christopher
www.watchhunter.ca

-----------

The Cricket patent was applied for on 27. September 1943. I doubt, however, that yours is as early as that (one could not per se exclude the possibility that you have a rare prototype). In M.P. Horlbeck's book on wrist alarms, some pictures of Crickets are shown, the early ones all with Cal. 120 (later on, as the movement changed slightly, the calibre designations also changed; the 120 is the earliest type). One watch has 307004 but aother has 303002. A third has 414832. All I can therefore say is that you have an early Cricket but not the very earliest. Probably 1947-1950 would be my guess.

Hartmut Richter

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts