WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Filson Watches 2.jpg

Well regarded Seattle based outfitter, Filson, established in 1897, introduces its first watch collection. Known for their rugged durable products, Filson has teamed up with Shinola and crafted a wide range of watches to enhance the outdoor enthusiasts’ lifestyle. Assembled by hand in Shinola’s Detroit watch factory, the watches are built for the outdoors with uncompromising quality. The Filson watch collection includes two case designs and 25 styles.

View attachment 2754394

The Mackinaw Field watches are built for everyday field use, including both three-hand and chronograph versions. The Journeyman is available as a GMT and chronograph, both with a World-Timer feature.

Filson Watches 3.jpg

Every style is rated 20 ATM with a screw-down crown and sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating. Staying true to Filson’s signature materials, the straps are made with Bridle Leather and Dry Tin Cloth, along with nylon, rubber, and Horween leather.

"Filson and Shinola share a dedication to American manufacturing and products that are built to last. We are proud to join forces with Shinola to create these watches built for action using materials of the highest standards,” Filson President, Gray Madden

Filson Watches.jpg

The watches will retail between $600 and $1,100 and will be available through Filson stores, via filson.com, and select retailers from March 2015. The 2 Journeyman rubber strap styles will be introduced and available for purchase in April 2015. Every Filson watch is guaranteed for life under the terms and conditions of the warranty.

Visit the Filson website

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I've never held a Shinola in person but the stock photos don't look very impressive and neither do these. I'm not in love with the style or the price, but the bund strap is cool.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I just received a catalogue for these. At $200, maybe. But honestly, they make little sense, even excluding the price they are frankly too large to be practical. Just looking at the guys in the pictures with them, they strike me as much to obtrusive and likely to catch on straps, etc. Plus the Filson marketing feels so over-the-top for watches that all acknowledge are mostly Swiss and Chinese, even if they are "assembled by hand" in America by Chuck Norris himself.

My wife loves her Shinola because of the design. But close inspection reveals what I can only describe as overall chintziness. Dial, markers, hands, bezel, etc. Just chintzy. Then factor in the price, and one realizes how much better one can find, beginning with a humble Seiko 5 field watch and working through to the $1000 price point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Obviously, I'm not going to buy one of these joints - neither will most of the people on this site. But the implication is kinda interesting. Shinola is so well received and respected by the general fashion watch consuming public, that Filson has sought out a partnership with them.

I'm sure Filson will sell a lot more watches with the well-marketed Quartz, "Argonite" movement than without.

I would know. I'm living in the land where people ask me if the Sinn I've got on is a Shinola because they equate "good looking watch" with the Shinola brand.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
:-d..:-d..Argonite..:-s
Is SUPERMAN allergic to that?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Wow, those are expensive. But, obviously someone thinks these will sell, and if they do it's a good sign for the watch industry.

It's interesting that "outdoorsy" has become a watch fashion. I'd want something slightly smaller with more legible hands (and with crown guards) if I were actually going to wear these for outdoor activities. Notice also that the bezel is knobbed for easy gripping, but it doesn't seem to actually turn, so... that knobbing is just going to make it easier to get the watch caught on things. What we have here is the equivalent of a "desk camper," which I find kind of fascinating.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I received the new catalog with their special watches insert. Very slick marketing, in line with Filson's recent campaign to appeal to higher upscale customers. Filson has always portrayed itself as carrying the best quality merchandise, which as a long time user, I will subscribe to. The choice to partner with Shinola seems to me to be correct if the goal is to make the highest profit featuring a U.S. product, but they missed going with the Detroit line of watches, also made in Detroit, in keeping with their claim to offer the best quality goods. The Detroit watches are automatics which would appeal to those seeking "the best," but the Shinola quartz will of course have a much wider appeal.

Hang, the Filson/Shinola watches with Filson's outdoorsy designs are very attractive and I would be interested myself if I didn't already have too many watches!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I am disappointed in the size (too big) and design of the watches. As some have stated, there seem to be some design cues and form over function issues, things I would not expect from Filson. At a minimum a field watch in this price range should have a stainless case with a one piece screw on case back for water resistance assurance, the brass is simply a decorative feature (and liability) that has no practical use. The non-rotating bezel with a knurled edge is a massive design fail. I find it puzzling for a 200m water resistant watch the recommended method of cleaning is "Wipe or brush clean". My outdoor watch (a CWC diver) would never get clean with that method, I have to use running water with a little dish soap and a soft toothbrush to get the mud and grime off. It's a shame this project wasn't better researched and executed.

Having said that, I have no doubt it will be well supported by Filson. I have a hunting vest from Filson that is over 30 years old as well as several wool coats that are 20 to 25 years old and all are still in excellent shape. If they make a tin cloth strap available in 20mm lug size I will certainly get one. But I won't buy that watch.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I go to Filsons catalog and click on the first watch I see, its $650, I see quartz movement, so I click on a $900 watch, and I still see quartz movement.
You got to be kidding, at those price points I can buy a rugged automatic field watch from a variety of brands, even at a mall.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I go to Filsons catalog and click on the first watch I see, its $650, I see quartz movement, so I click on a $900 watch, and I still see quartz movement.
You got to be kidding, at those price points I can buy a rugged automatic field watch from a variety of brands, even at a mall.
I'm willing to accept the argument in favor of a quartz for rugged field use. But even then, I'm sure one could find much better for much less from Seiko, Citizen, Maratec, etc.

Orvis, I think, shows the way with watches I'd trust yet are both more practical than the big Filson/Shinola offerings and far more reasonably priced:
Men's Watches - Gifts for Men | Orvis. Orvis offers for $160 what Filson does for $900. I'm all into Made-in-USA (I presently am wearing Allen Edmonds shoes, Gustin jeans, Flint and Tinder and Ribbed-T underwear), and I love my Filson briefcase, but I think only a fool would buy these Filson watches.

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Isn't Argonite a gas mix consisting of Ar and N2 ? Where is the link to watches.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I never looked at Filson b/4, just looked...Prefer Orvis, you can return an item anytime for any reason....period.
Back to the issue. It's a cheap watch at a not so cheap price and that's it. Hand made in Detroit, that's like
a local beanery with the sign out front "Home Cooked Meals"....Why do they think I want my food cooked in their house?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife and I were out looking at watches today and Shinola's were everywhere. Mostly at upscale department store watch counters, but also at two upscale jewelry stores. But we also saw these Filson watches. They were right next to the Shinola's. They do bare a family resemblance. It did look well made, attractive, and a little 'beefy' in keeping with the Filson outdoor spirit. At 43mm it is on the large side for my 6.5" wrist, but it wasn't painfully large. The thickness worked against it. Not sure why a quartz movement needs to be so heavy. It would have been better on a little diet. While well made It didn't jump out at me as a $625 watch

IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Obviously, I'm not going to buy one of these joints - neither will most of the people on this site. But the implication is kinda interesting. Shinola is so well received and respected by the general fashion watch consuming public, that Filson has sought out a partnership with them.

I'm sure Filson will sell a lot more watches with the well-marketed Quartz, "Argonite" movement than without.

I would know. I'm living in the land where people ask me if the Sinn I've got on is a Shinola because they equate "good looking watch" with the Shinola brand.
Filson and Shinola are corporate siblings.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I wonder if this may dilute the Filson brand. Filson is a lot like L.L. Bean. It's expensive, but their products were mainly for true outdoorsmen (it was an outfitter for the Klondike Gold Rush), not the weekend hiker. I know many an old Filson and LL Bean family (generations of loggers, fishermen, hunters, etc) who are not liking the changes in the catalog for the "yuppy" crowd. The watches seem to be heading that way. I guess as long as they continue to stick to their core market.

Personally I like the World Timer watch, but it is way too expensive.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah, no way. As much as I would like to support a watch brand in my home city, a six hundred dollar quartz will never grace my collection, unless it says GS on the dial.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts