WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Seamaster yesterday, and I love it! I looked at all four regular colors and the black just stood out above them all. It was love at first sight. The way the light plays on the dial is mesmerizing. I got 20% off and they threw in a back Omega rubber strap. I feel like I came out pretty alright on the deal. I have wanted an Omega for years and years, and things finally worked out.

However, I was looking at the lume today and it appears that there is a dark spot in the center of the hour hand. Is this normal? I sure don’t want to have to send it in right after I got it. I was thinking about waiting till closer to the 5 year mark, assuming the lume would be under warranty at that time. Any advice?

Lume picture is below
Watch Analog watch Azure Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Material property

·
Premium Member
6,695 Posts
Yeah bring it back. But amazing deal and choice!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bad thing is, Jared, where I purchased from, is supposedly no longer carrying Omega after stock is depleted. I got the last one in the entire area. Therefore, I think they would want to send it off instead of exchange it. Just trying to figure out if I can live with it for a while, or if I want to bite the bullet and just go ahead and have them send it off now. Also the AD is a two hour drive one way!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: jkpa

·
Premium Member
Rolex YG Sub, MG Green/Black, DSSD JC, SD43 Mk I, PAM176, 1305, Omega PP, SeaMaster300, MoonPhase
1,614 Posts
Personally that wouldn't bother me, but it's not opinion that matters here. I have had watches opened for minor fixes and they sometimes came back with scratches which bothered me more. A lot more. You did come out of the deal smelling like a rose. I have made deals where I end up smelling like Axl Rose. I have heard tell there is a difference.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I had a newer gen SMP back in 2019 with a very similar issue on the hour hand. It wasn’t as bad as yours and didn’t really bother me. It still serves the purpose - to be able to tell the time in dark situations. The hands automatically get replaced during an Omega full service anyway. I’m in the camp of not sending it back right now and living with it. I hate having a new watch opened up if it doesn’t need to be. I feel like it just invites more issues

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For the experts here, is this issue as simple as inconsistent lume application at the factory? Doesn’t moisture damage also result in lume damage as well? I know this is a new watch so I’m assuming it’s not the latter

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Wait until a month or two before the warranty runs out, then send it in and get a free service out of it.
I second this, though I think warranty for new Master co-axial, what is it 5 or 6 years? So you have to wait if you are not the impatient sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I would leave it and wait 5 years.

In my opinion, if the watch is perfect externally, there is no way I would risk a single scratch fixing something so insignificant.

There is a good chance the watch will get scratched or at least leave a visible tool mark. The hand could also be re-installed ever so slightly out of line.

In 5 years the watch will have more things that need attention. There is no sense in opening the watch twice when opening it once in 5 years will accomplish more with less risk.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Live with it it's fine in daylight. When the warranty is close then send it in and get it replaced.

Reactions: flyby71 and Nokie

·
Registered
917 Posts
You’ll find out that the lume is not the strong point of this watch. It fades a bit and the skeleton hands can make it difficult to tell the difference between the indices and the hand tip. I have a devil of a time reading mine if it is not freshly charged. I have other watches that glow all night like most seikos and my Pelagos. It’s a minor shortcomings on an awesome watch imho.

All this to say, the other posters gave great advice if it can’t be exchanged immediately, then live with it and enjoy it the best way… in daylight!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Whilst the advice about waiting until just before the warranty expires is sound, I would suggest that if you can live with it for 5 years, you can live with it forever and not worry about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would leave it and wait until the next service before the warranty runs out, wouldn't want the case to be opened just to fix that imho.

Reactions: flyby71

·
Registered
106 Posts
Assuming that it's not that visible unless the lume is fully charged and you focus on the detail from up close, I wouldn't have it fixed now. Just mention it when sending it in for service and Omega will replace the whole handset (they would anyway I think).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd just wait as others have said. Plus you're in the honeymoon period, the worst time to have to go without the watch for 4-6 weeks!

Are you noticing the lume inconsistency on a daily basis or just while you are charging it up and feeling out over its newness? I find I rarely use lume or see it close to fully charged in the dark, but that's me.

·
Vendor
7,872 Posts
If it doesn't bother you, get it sorted 4-5 years in, if not, get it done now or it will forever bug you.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts