WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep finding these little travel alarms with wrist watch movements in them but I just wanted to find one I could actually wear.The finds have been extremely sparse for the last few months but it wouldn't be any fun if you found the good ones every day.It keeps time,the alarm works great and is loud compared to some of the others I have.The movement says Wittnauer AC 11 but it is an Adolf Schild cal.1931.I think made somewhere between 1969 and 1974.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That 70s design is really growing on me.

If you're interested, I bet there's a way to post the sound of the alarm.

What is that knob on the case? It looks like a push pin. Perhaps it's holding something in place?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply OPChagall . The knob is what the hammer strikes to make the alarm sound.I really like the 70 s watches too,They usually have a lot of caricature and weight to them.They're just fun to wear.I'll see if I can post a link to a video of the alarm.
Thanks for sharing. That 70s design is really growing on me.

If you're interested, I bet there's a way to post the sound of the alarm.

What is that knob on the case? It looks like a push pin. Perhaps it's holding something in place?

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I have also been looking around at alarm watches and trying to decide whether I want a Memovox, or something a bit more distinctive. Yours is really appealing, as is the Omega Memomatic.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
As an Elgin collector, I was tickled to find this one. It's from the 1960s, when Elgin was still Elgin, and not just a name and set of trademarks.

I had lots of fun doing a COA on it, I can tell you! I think I took a picture every time I removed another part. Good thing, too, since there are, among other things, 4 very nearly identical J-shaped springs. Nearly, but not completely identical, so not interchangeable!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool!! Do you have a picture of the movement for this one?
As an Elgin collector, I was tickled to find this one. It's from the 1960s, when Elgin was still Elgin, and not just a name and set of trademarks.

I had lots of fun doing a COA on it, I can tell you! I think I took a picture every time I removed another part. Good thing, too, since there are, among other things, 4 very nearly identical J-shaped springs. Nearly, but not completely identical, so not interchangeable!

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's really sharp Mikmis. Love the size, colors, and the radial case brushing. Very sharp, and a nice pick.

Eric

Reactions: mikmis

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Very cool!! Do you have a picture of the movement for this one?
I'll try to post one later, but if you imagine yours, but instead of 'Wittnauer' it says 'Elgin', and instead of 'AC11' it says '882'.

I'm pretty sure they're the same basic movement, because yours looks almost exactly like mine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mechanical alarms are a nice little addition to anyones collection..still relatively affordable too compared with many of the other complications on mechanicals.
The more famous models like the Cricket etc fetch very good money .
From what I`ve read I gather the AS alarm movements were used widely by a variety of brands.
Many others bit the bullet and produced their own in house movements too.
this is my Roamer fro the late 1950`s with an in-house MST 427:
MST 427.jpg IMG_20170109_150623562.jpg Bought Sept 2016.jpg
The single crown controls the winding of both of the separate alarm and watch mainsprings as well as adjustment of all hands.
small pusher at 2 O`clock cancels alarm.
Alarm sounds for about 15 secs.
The alarms not loud enough to wake you from a deep sleep ..fine for daytime reminders though..like when a parking meter time is nearly up :0 )

Spots on the watch are rain btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts