WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 months of wait, my order of DS30 yellow (one sided AR coating only) w/ bracelet came yesterday.
It's my first Damasko and first venture into non-affordable realm.

It looks and feels great in hand. I've only seen it in pictures but much better in metal.

Size is just right for my 6.5ish wrist and the yellow really pops!

Also the dial is larger than my other 39mm (Hamtun Nanok) so it helps my farsightedness.

One interesting thing..
the lug springs bars are springy...

First time I've seen these type of spring bars.
Not sure they are safe to use on other straps.

On steward elastic strap...

On barton canvas...

Looks too nice for a tool watch :giggle:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Those spring bars are meant for the bracelet specifically. I’d suggest others for other straps.

Congratulations! Looks great on you. Love these so much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those spring bars are meant for the bracelet specifically. I’d suggest others for other straps.

Congratulations! Looks great on you. Love these so much.
Thanks!

And that's what I thought on the spring bars.
The springyness makes it easier to remove the bracelet.
So no complaints there.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Right! It’s so much easier to install and remove the bracelet with these special spring bars compared to most watches. I love the little engineering touches on Damasko watches.

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
Congrats! Was the 5 month wait due to the single sided AR or for the bracelet? I personally think it’s a nice choice to do the single sided on a watch like this. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I was in too early on my DS30 Yellow hand, the bracelet was still two years away. I finally gave up and sold it. Seeing this, I wish I had waited! (although I probably would have balked at a $600 bracelet on an $800 watch made no sense, bought mine 2nd hand).

Reactions: chiron93

·
Registered
922 Posts
Very nice. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Congrats on your DS30. And, thanks for your initial impressions and pics — interesting about the type of spring bars supplied with the bracelet. Here is to enjoying your new Damasko.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the bracelet..
Its really impressive. Really like the torx screw.
But as many have mentioned, the butterfly clasp is really stiff to unlock. I'll need t get used to it and find the optimal way to pop it out.
Also I wasn't able to find the optimal fit yet with the 2 pairs of adjustment links provided. I feel like I need another pair. Here are photos showing how much would be shortened with the adjustment links.

Using 1 pair..

using 2 pairs..

If I had 3 pairs..

If I had 4..

So, for fine adjustments, I think Damasko should include 4 pairs of adjustment links.

I'm hoping to purchase at least 1 more pair when they are back in stock.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
The Damasko looks great on you! It appears the date numbers are color-matched to the second hand. Yes? That bracelet looks sharp, too.

I've been thinking about a DK30 (no date). My only concern (since I haven't seen one in person) is that it's "only" a 39-mm case.

My wrist is a "flattish" 7 inches. But, I tend to like watches on the bigger side. So, I'm concerned the Damasko may be "too small." However, it appears that the dial is relatively large in proportion to the case.

My very first "real watch" (21 years ago) is a Breitling Colt Ocean, which is 38-mm. I also have a 40-mm Rolex Yachtmaster. And, most recently a 40-mm Lum-Tec. I've gotten used to much bigger watches (mostly Casios). So, the 38-mm Breitling feels "small," though I still enjoy wearing it.

Even the 40-mm Lum-Tec feels "small," but that may be due to the proportions of the dial compared to the case.

I'm not sure about the size of the Damasko. But, I love the starkly contrasted and "sterile" white / black dial. And, I'm digging a green second hand. So, I'm on the fence at the moment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, the date is color matched with the second hand.

Here us a picture of 39mm vs 42mm (glycine combat 7) for your reference. Seems like the dial size are same..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Beautiful watch!!

I had a Damasko Da-38 and bought the bracelet and was very disappointed with it. It is a marvel of engineering-no doubt but my experience with the bracelet clasp was bad. I think the new bracelet designs use titanium balls instead of the ceramic ball bearings used in my Da bracelet. It was very difficult to open and close at first.

I take my watch off and on multiple times a day usually and so my bracelet clasp gets a lot of use. After a couple weeks the bracelet would just open on it's own. I am sure I could have had Damasko look at it but in my opinion it was a design flaw as the ceramic ball bearings were tough enough to wear down the hardened steel and if used a lot like mine was would eventually have the same problem even if I got a new one so I decided to return it.

I don't know if the submarine steel used in the DS 30 bracelet and ti ball bearings wear different. It is a lot different material hardness so it should make a difference. Hopefully you will not have any problems and Damasko has improved the clasp.

I would really-please-love a bracelet with a tradition fold over clasp or double button deployment on the DS30 and Dsub1!!

You will have to let me know how the clasp breaks in for you and how it holds up over all. I have a brother of yours and would love a bracelet but decided against it because of my past experience. Thanks!!

You said this was your first expensive watch. I admire your first choice!! Mine was a Doxa Sea-Rambler and then the addiction went on.......I have been flipping watches ever since!!lol

·
Premium Member
36,407 Posts
Great choice. Looks excellent on the bracelet as well as the strap.

Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
chiron93,
I like the looks of your New Watch! Never seen that style of spring bar before. Vance.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Beautiful watch!!

I had a Damasko Da-38 and bought the bracelet and was very disappointed with it. It is a marvel of engineering-no doubt but my experience with the bracelet clasp was bad. I think the new bracelet designs use titanium balls instead of the ceramic ball bearings used in my Da bracelet. It was very difficult to open and close at first.

I take my watch off and on multiple times a day usually and so my bracelet clasp gets a lot of use. After a couple weeks the bracelet would just open on it's own. I am sure I could have had Damasko look at it but in my opinion it was a design flaw as the ceramic ball bearings were tough enough to wear down the hardened steel and if used a lot like mine was would eventually have the same problem even if I got a new one so I decided to return it.

I don't know if the submarine steel used in the DS 30 bracelet and ti ball bearings wear different. It is a lot different material hardness so it should make a difference. Hopefully you will not have any problems and Damasko has improved the clasp.

I would really-please-love a bracelet with a tradition fold over clasp or double button deployment on the DS30 and Dsub1!!

You will have to let me know how the clasp breaks in for you and how it holds up over all. I have a brother of yours and would love a bracelet but decided against it because of my past experience. Thanks!!

You said this was your first expensive watch. I admire your first choice!! Mine was a Doxa Sea-Rambler and then the addiction went on.......I have been flipping watches ever since!!lol
I have a DS30 with bracelet and the clasp is ice hardened like the one on my DA46. Bracelet is submarine steel but not the clasp. Not sure if they are ceramic or not though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful watch!!

Ceramic ball bearings wearing out....Hmmm....

As mentioned previously, I didn't quite get the perfect fit with the bracelet, so I was wearing it with a canvas strap.
But hearing this, I have it back on the bracelet. (Although not perfect, I don't mind slightly loose.)
I also open and close the clasp quite a bit through out the day so let's see how it feels after a month or so.

Regarding the expensive watch choice, I had the Archimede Outdoor Protect 39 in mind originally. I dragged my feet for quite a long time. Then DS30 came out and got my attention. But with no bracelet, I wasn't sure about it.
Then the bracelet came out. Game over! But, of course, it took me another several months to finally pull the trigger.
Despite the clasp concern, I really love it!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Ceramic ball bearings wearing out....Hmmm....

As mentioned previously, I didn't quite get the perfect fit with the bracelet, so I was wearing it with a canvas strap.
But hearing this, I have it back on the bracelet. (Although not perfect, I don't mind slightly loose.)
I also open and close the clasp quite a bit through out the day so let's see how it feels after a month or so.

Regarding the expensive watch choice, I had the Archimede Outdoor Protect 39 in mind originally. I dragged my feet for quite a long time. Then DS30 came out and got my attention. But with no bracelet, I wasn't sure about it.
Then the bracelet came out. Game over! But, of course, it took me another several months to finally pull the trigger.
Despite the clasp concern, I really love it!
It was the hardened steel. The ceramic ball bearings wore the metal down until it would open without my intervention. I am not saying it will happen to you but it seemed at the time like a design flaw for the DA-38 I had at the time. I am sure if there were issues with the clasp Damasko would have changed the design by now. But if you do open and close it a lot then just be mindful if it starts to get easier to open. That is actually not a good thing. I am not talking a very slight difference but once there is a noticeable change from the beginning of when you bought it.

Funny you say Archimede outdoor protect as that was something I got after the DA38. lol

Personally I think the design of the DS30 is about as good as it gets.

Outdoor protect is a great watch but and this is a big one for me is that they don't use the same hardened steel everywhere. It has a great Ickler case and good lume but the crown and case back are just 316l and you have to pay extra to get the hardened bracelet and the Protect bracelet is no where even near close to as cool as the Damasko. I have my issue with the clasp but there is no doubt it is a beautiful piece of custom designed kit. The bracelet on the Protect seemed like a cheap thin foreign made bracelet that was "hardened". The bracelet edges were so sharp it almost cut my wrist-no joke.

It is crazy how the cost is very similar between the two watches with hardened bracelets-Damasko is clearly an infinitely better watch in my biased opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts