WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It was the hardened steel. The ceramic ball bearings wore the metal down until it would open without my intervention. I am not saying it will happen to you but it seemed at the time like a design flaw for the DA-38 I had at the time. I am sure if there were issues with the clasp Damasko would have changed the design by now. But if you do open and close it a lot then just be mindful if it starts to get easier to open. That is actually not a good thing. I am not talking a very slight difference but once there is a noticeable change from the beginning of when you bought it.

Funny you say Archimede outdoor protect as that was something I got after the DA38. lol

Personally I think the design of the DS30 is about as good as it gets.

Outdoor protect is a great watch but and this is a big one for me is that they don't use the same hardened steel everywhere. It has a great Ickler case and good lume but the crown and case back are just 316l and you have to pay extra to get the hardened bracelet and the Protect bracelet is no where even near close to as cool as the Damasko. I have my issue with the clasp but there is no doubt it is a beautiful piece of custom designed kit. The bracelet on the Protect seemed like a cheap thin foreign made bracelet that was "hardened". The bracelet edges were so sharp it almost cut my wrist-no joke.

It is crazy how the cost is very similar between the two watches with hardened bracelets-Damasko is clearly an infinitely better watch in my biased opinion.
Having the bracelet slightly loose, I'm able to slide my index finger under the clasp and push up to unlock it.
I guess this is the best compromise between best fit for bracelet and best way to unlock the clasp.

I've also read some rust issues with the hardened bracelet for Archimede OP. Think that's why it's not the default option now.
I also have experience with cutting myself from watches. Hamtun Nanok comes with bulky racheting clasp that has sharp edges. In the summer with short sleeves and pants, I was cutting myself everywhere.....not good.
So you moved on from Outdoor Protect? Just curious what your next was....

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I had rust on the case of the DA-38 plus the bracelet issues. I have to say the customer service from Greg Stein at Watchmann was above what I expected.

I told him about the bracelet clasp issue and he was going to send it back to Damasko to get it fixed but when I discovered the rust too he could tell I was unhappy. It was a lot of money for one watch and multiple problems were arising.

So Greg took the watch and bracelet back after like a month or so of owning it and he let apply the balance to the Archimede outdoor protect and a Limes 300 meter diver. Let’s just say I was pretty happy. The Limes I later sold or flipped and I regret it. Same with the protect. Both watches were less expensive than now and I think I paid maybe a little out of pocket.

I will probably get another Limes as the quality is similar to Damasko, Sinn, Stowa. Now that the Protect is so costly I would probably get another Damasko or a Stowa Pro Diver or the Limes before I would get the Protect.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Since Sinn, Damasko and Archimede have been mentioned.......here goes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is a very nice collection!
That Sinn looks great with that strap.
Thanks mate!

Only the Sinn remains in the collection now :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hmm..the loose bracelet let the watch slide right down to the hand. And the crown digs into the hand when the hand is upright from the arm.
Guess I need the extra adjustment links for better fit.

You can see the red bump on my hand to the right of the crown...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am also not that sensitive to how accurate my watch is but I was curious about the +/- time keeping of my new DS30.
Downloaded an app called 'Watch Accuracy Meter', which seems to use the phone mic to listen to the ticking of the movement and estimate the +/- per day. (Anyone use this?)
Over the 5 days I've used this, it's on average +4sec per day.
Looks pretty good and consistent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am also not that sensitive to how accurate my watch is but I was curious about the +/- time keeping of my new DS30.
Downloaded an app called 'Watch Accuracy Meter', which seems to use the phone mic to listen to the ticking of the movement and estimate the +/- per day. (Anyone use this?)
Over the 5 days I've used this, it's on average +4sec per day.
Looks pretty good and consistent.
I just monitor against a quartz. So far mine is -5 sec.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice looking watch. I think they look great on the OEM bracelet. I'm not at all impressed with the OEM leather strap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Damasko looks great on you! It appears the date numbers are color-matched to the second hand. Yes? That bracelet looks sharp, too.

I've been thinking about a DK30 (no date). My only concern (since I haven't seen one in person) is that it's "only" a 39-mm case.

My wrist is a "flattish" 7 inches. But, I tend to like watches on the bigger side. So, I'm concerned the Damasko may be "too small." However, it appears that the dial is relatively large in proportion to the case.

My very first "real watch" (21 years ago) is a Breitling Colt Ocean, which is 38-mm. I also have a 40-mm Rolex Yachtmaster. And, most recently a 40-mm Lum-Tec. I've gotten used to much bigger watches (mostly Casios). So, the 38-mm Breitling feels "small," though I still enjoy wearing it.

View attachment 15870800

Even the 40-mm Lum-Tec feels "small," but that may be due to the proportions of the dial compared to the case.

View attachment 15870801

I'm not sure about the size of the Damasko. But, I love the starkly contrasted and "sterile" white / black dial. And, I'm digging a green second hand. So, I'm on the fence at the moment.
I have a similar wrist to you and I love my DS30 (on bracelet). It wears really well and it’s the most comfortable bracelet I’ve worn (though my experiences with watches have all been <$1k). If you decide to pull the trigger, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts