WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The SNKH63 is a slightly newer version. The biggest difference is the 20mm lug width on the H63 vs 18mm on the SNK809. There are some minor changes on the dial as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The SNKH63 is a slightly newer version. The biggest difference is the 20mm lug width on the H63 vs 18mm on the SNK809. There are some minor changes on the dial as well.
But I guess also 30M water resist rating for the 809 and 50M rating for the H63, which if that is correct, may be the biggest difference.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
But I guess also 30M water resist rating for the 809 and 50M rating for the H63, which if that is correct, may be the biggest difference.
Looks to me like the biggest difference is that the H63 is bigger in general, the bezel width, lug width and regular width have all grown. I also prefer the hands and round lume dots on the 809. Though 50m would certainly make me enjoy mine a whole lot more.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Looks to me like the biggest difference is that the H63 is bigger in general, the bezel width, lug width and regular width have all grown. I also prefer the hands and round lume dots on the 809. Though 50m would certainly make me enjoy mine a whole lot more.
I think a lot of people agree (including me) the aesthetics were slightly better on the 809. Since I am switching out hands and dial, that doesn't matter to me though, but a little bigger, bigger lugs and a slight bump to WR will make a difference.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not sure, a quick web search couldn't confirm or deny the water resist rating. Yoeman's Watch Review posted a few differences between the two models but the water resist rating is not mentioned.

It's not a diver watch so in my humble (non-professional) opinion I wouldn't feel any more confident submerging a 50M resist vs a 30M resist watch. That being said, although many people have expressed a preference for the look of the 809 I prefer the H63 for the wider lugs (even though I have an 809).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not sure, a quick web search couldn't confirm or deny the water resist rating. Yoeman's Watch Review posted a few differences between the two models but the water resist rating is not mentioned.

It's not a diver watch so in my humble (non-professional) opinion I wouldn't feel any more confident submerging a 50M resist vs a 30M resist watch. That being said, although many people have expressed a preference for the look of the 809 I prefer the H63 for the wider lugs (even though I have an 809).
Yeah, (as I said above) I was not having a lot of luck confirming WR ratings. It looked like the 809 was maybe 30 and the H63 is supposed to be 50. That is why I asked - are you confirming the 809 is 30m?

I understand it aint no diver, but every upgrade of that WR rating makes me a little more comfortable in everyday wear situations.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I checked a handful of online retailers and only one listed it at 30M while the rest simply listed it as "water resist".
When I'm browsing Seiko 5 models I always look at lug width and most of the time it's listed incorrectly. So based on that experience I've learned not to put too much faith in online specs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I checked a handful of online retailers and only one listed it at 30M while the rest simply listed it as "water resist".
Sorry mate! I thought the watch had the rating on the back. Apparently not. Here is a link I found though - Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Water resistance of the Seiko 5 SNK809

Indicates the following:

K. Homan says:
I just received this Seiko SNK809. The back of the case is inscribed "WATER RESISTANT". The instruction manual (p. 12) states, 'If "WATER RESISTANT" is inscribed on the case back, your watch is designed and manufactured to withstand up to 3 bar, such as accidental contact with splashes of water or rain, but is not designed for wearing while swimming or diving.' The next paragraph states, 'If "WATER RESISTANT 5 BAR" is inscribed on the case back, your watch is designed and manufactured to withstand up to 5 bar and is suitable for wearing while swimming, yachting and taking a shower.' There is no mention of water depth. However, the small tag that is attached by string to the watch band states "Water Resist 30M". I am returning my watch because it is not rated for 100m as described in the Amazon listing.

When I'm browsing Seiko 5 models I always look at lug width and most of the time it's listed incorrectly. So based on that experience I've learned not to put too much faith in online specs.
I hear ya.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The instruction manual (p. 12) states, 'If "WATER RESISTANT" is inscribed on the case back, your watch is designed and manufactured to withstand up to 3 bar, such as accidental contact with splashes of water or rain, but is not designed for wearing while swimming or diving.

The SNK809 has "water resistant" inscribed on the back. I don't know about the H63. Maybe someone that has one can chime in.

If you're going to be changing the hands and dial the H63 case would give you more strap options with it's 20mm lugs. The only downside is that the 809s can often be found for $60 or so delivered while the H63 and related variants seem to cost more. I'm in a similar situation; I modded my SNK809 and am very pleased with the result. At this point I'd like to take the whole affair and drop it into a SNKH63 case so I can have 20mm lugs. I'm just holding out for a bargain 63...

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you're going to be changing the hands and dial the H63 case would give you more strap options with it's 20mm lugs. The only downside is that the 809s can often be found for $60 or so delivered while the H63 and related variants seem to cost more. I'm in a similar situation; I modded my SNK809 and am very pleased with the result. At this point I'd like to take the whole affair and drop it into a SNKH63 case so I can have 20mm lugs. I'm just holding out for a bargain 63...

Yeah, that was my comment to the OP. He got his quite a bit cheaper. I think yobokies charges about $20 more for the H63 over the 809, but don't recall exactly. I know that the H63 was more. It is costing me $140 delivered whereas I think the same mod on an 809 was $120.

EDIT: Checked his ad thread. Looks like the 809 mod would be $128, so only $12 difference. Well worth the upgrade given *************EDIT 2 - This appears erroneous -- Saw a pic of the back of the H63 and it also only state Water Resist which means it is also 30M only ****************50M vs. 30M and bigger lugs. Hard to imagine why anyone would go with the 809 for the mod at that differential, although I guess some may prefer the look of the lugs on the 809 over the H63.

That one looks good with those hands. Did you do it yourself or who did you have do it?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Did this one myself. I made the hands "custom" (accidentally knocked the lume out) and just went with it. Short term plan is to get some orange lume and paint the skeleton hands. And of course put it all in an H63 case :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did this one myself. I made the hands "custom" (accidentally knocked the lume out) and just went with it. Short term plan is to get some orange lume and paint the skeleton hands. And of course put it all in an H63 case :)
That's cool, yeah I think it looks good with the orange/red hands so If you can get the orange lume that will maintain the look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys! My Seiko 5 just came in today and I have a band coming in from JCrew. Is it possible to change the canvas stock Seiko band without cutting it? Thanks! And by the way, that red strap looks awesome, only 8 bucks at Kohls by Timex?? |>

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm bringing this topic from dead to thread...it's better than creating another redundant new one on the same topic (like that never happens on forums).

This pair of Seiko 5 are my first foray into mechanical watches. I've lived with them now for about two months. They're certainly not as care-free as quartzies but do have some level of charm. I'm still working through the fine-tuning regulation. It's getting close to acceptable...aiming for +/- 15 sec a day, but would be perfectly satisfied with +/- 30 secs.

The one on the left is a modded SNZG05K1 - you can see that the chapter ring has the 13-23 mil-time. The stock chapter ring has the 5-55 minute labels. I made up my own mini decals and modded the ring. For me, the mil-time is more useful. The one on the right is the ever-popular SNZG13K1 big military.

Dan

Reactions: ErikP
21 - 35 of 35 Posts