WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, I pulled the trigger on a Blue Mako. Ordered it last Monday night from OWUSA and it arrived Thursday. (The benefits of living only 400 miles away from their home base, I guess.) I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, but here's my reveiw.

First impressions: I almost went ballistic when I first opened it in the dim light of my living room because I thought they'd sent me a Black Mako by mistake. The "Blue" on this Mako looks nothing like any of the pictures I've seen. It is a deep, dark, midnight blue, and the brighter blue color only comes out as reflections in very bright direct light. That being said, I really dig the subtlety of the color, and like that it doesn't scream out, "Hey, I'm wearing a shiny blue watch!" So any of you that are going back and forth between the black and the blue, go blue. You get both colors that way.

After spending the weekend with it: I'm really impressed by the refined look of the dial. This could totally work as a dressy watch or fine with jeans and a t-shirt too. The accuracy is superb so far. I've only gained about 1 second per day with wearing it all day and then letting it rest on my nightstand over night. The bezel can indeed be difficult to turn, but it seems entirely due to the lack of grip. Once I get it going, it's quite smooth and it has a very satisfying feel when it clicks into place. The markers line up perfectly as well. The bracelet is not as nice as my Planet Orient, but it's OK for the price and was super easy to adjust myself.

My collection is small right now, but the lume is the best I have on any watch. It might not be the brightest right after a charge, but it's got good stamina and you can still read it in the dark early morning hours. Here are a couple quick pics I took on my 6.5" wrist. (The pictures make it look like it wears a lot bigger than it actually does. It's quite comfortable.)

DSCN2836.jpg
DSCN2835.jpg
DSCN2838.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Nice catch. It is hard to explain the blue mako without seeing it in person, but I bet you understand now. It is so understated and a real value for the money. I just happen to be wearing mine today.
uploadfromtaptalk1317149059316.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, it's my last watch purchase for awhile. The "boss" won't let me get any others for quite a while I think. :)
Maybe get one for "the boss". :)

And I agree, the blue dial is a masterpiece!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just had to gush about it some more. I originally bought this to have a watch that I would rotate with my other Orient, but it just won't leave my wrist! I love how it looks and I'm still floored by the accuracy. I have not had to reset it once since I got it! It stays +/- 2 seconds every day.

Oh, and beautiful shot there, Pete.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice impressions, RTC. The Mako's like the gateway drug into the whole collecting bug. Your pics are great as well.
This is totally the case with me. The Blue Mako was my first auto and my most expensive watch at the time... That was not much more than a year ago and now I have about 15 watches with one bought this week and another on its way.

Tony

·
Registered
167 Posts
Same here... I know I want that gorgeous iridescent blue dial, I just can't decide between the blue or pepsi bezel. Do you have another watch that can stand for formal occasions? If not, then the blue bezel is the dressier of the two. I have a black dial Eco-Drive (BM7081-51E) so I'm leaning towards the pepsi.

Now I just need to stop being distracted by the Citizen NY0040...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I originally bought this to have a watch that I would rotate with my other Orient, but it just won't leave my wrist!
Haha... same here. Ever since I got this Orient 6 months ago, I haven't worn my Seiko 5 at all.

Mine gains a few seconds every day though. No big deal. Still much more accurate than my Seiko 5 that loses about 30 seconds a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts