WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even after years in the watch world, I've yet to buy a proper dive watch. A lot of divers these days seem to have big, blocky cases that are extra thick. I'm looking for a smaller case diver (40mm or less), with a relatively traditional, somewhat slimmer case, and big lug holes. A domed sapphire would be a huge plus, but I suppose I could alway add that myself. Under $500. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think it would be very difficult to find a decent small case diver in your budget.

If I were you, I would get seiko skx007, and put thick domed sapphire with A/R, which will be available at Dagaz soon.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
What do you mean by big lug holes? Do you mean a large width between the lugs?

Have you looked at the Benarus Remora? They are more than $500 new, but around that mark used and in good condition. It's a 42 mm, and quite low profile (for a diver). 22 mm lugs, Miyota 9015 inside, ceramic (Remora) or sapphire (Remora II) bezels. Looks good on rubber, steel, or even leather. Nothing outstanding or outrageous, just a tidy all-round package.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestion.

By big lug holes, I mean holes drilled through the lugs, for the spring bars to stick through.

Borrowed pic:

What do you mean by big lug holes? Do you mean a large width between the lugs?

Have you looked at the Benarus Remora? They are more than $500 new, but around that mark used and in good condition. It's a 42 mm, and quite low profile (for a diver). 22 mm lugs, Miyota 9015 inside, ceramic (Remora) or sapphire (Remora II) bezels. Looks good on rubber, steel, or even leather. Nothing outstanding or outrageous, just a tidy all-round package.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have a Precista PRS-18A, which is done in the style of the old Benrus military watch. It runs on the Miyota 9015 hacking/winding high beat automatic movement (the PRS-18Q is the Swiss Ronda quartz model). The case is 40mm, WR is 300m, sapphire crystal, bead blast finish. Lume is superb. Price including shipping from England would fit your price range.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Steinhart Ocean series. Doesnt meet all your criteria but comes close ...

• solid ETA movement
  • ~$400
  • 42mm but relatively thin at 13mm
  • classic Submariner style
  • no lug holes

Pretty close with the exception of the lug holes. Several different options available. I previously owned an Ocean Vintage Military (a MilSub homage) and the value was very good; only sold to help fund another.

Diver Watch - Steinhart Watches - fine exclusive timepieces

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion.

By big lug holes, I mean holes drilled through the lugs, for the spring bars to stick through.
Aah. You should look at the Remora II then:

The Remora does not have drilled lugs.

Reactions: mitadoc

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hagar Commando. Like some of the other watches mentioned it doesn't meet all your criteria, but the size is right, it has a flat sapphire, and an automatic movement. Styling is sort of a morphed mil-sub.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great choice :) I had one but flipped it because it was a tad small. Where did you find yours?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
Ebay. It's a version with a blue dial and steel bezel. I want to use it as a mod project. The blue bezel from the Seiko SNZH53 would be ideal, but I'm sure it would be too big since the snzh is a 42mm watch.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
That's an amazing looking watch. Is that a ceramic bezel insert?
I bought the Seiko :) A bargain at $85 shipped

Although it looks like a ceramic bezel insert, it is just a shiny coating; reminiscent of the Marine Master insert.

Great to see that you followed my recommendation, and congratulations on winning the auction. I was wondering who the high bidder was, glad it was you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts