WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

Just wanted to drop a short note to those who'd like to know...I've finally fixed my Omegamatic. I'm so happy.

Well, "fixed" isn't really the right word. I was just able to source out the capacitor needed to keep the power reserve...though it's not OEM, it works just fine!

Probably a dumb/idiotic question to those in the know...but the watch hasn't stopped since the new capacitor was installed (48 hours and running). Isn't it supposed to stop? (since I haven't moved the watch, thus the capacitor can't possibly "absorb" electricity to power the watch?)

Anyhow, I'm extremely pleased about the watch anyhow, I was about to give up but my good ol' watchmaker, he never quit on me.

All you Omegamatic maniacs (the few that I know), if you'd like a less than technical dissertation, please feel free to e-mail, PM or just reply.

My Omegamatic is such a special watch to me: classy, dressy and yet sporty enough (though at 37mm, it's more for office or formal wear these days). A shame they stopped making it! David/Kieron/Eric, thanks for encouraging me to find the solution!

Thanks
Glimmer
aka Clarence

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Good to hear its back to life|> So what did you end up sourcing as a replacement?
Hi friends,

Just wanted to drop a short note to those who'd like to know...I've finally fixed my Omegamatic. I'm so happy.

Well, "fixed" isn't really the right word. I was just able to source out the capacitor needed to keep the power reserve...though it's not OEM, it works just fine!

Probably a dumb/idiotic question to those in the know...but the watch hasn't stopped since the new capacitor was installed (48 hours and running). Isn't it supposed to stop? (since I haven't moved the watch, thus the capacitor can't possibly "absorb" electricity to power the watch?)

Anyhow, I'm extremely pleased about the watch anyhow, I was about to give up but my good ol' watchmaker, he never quit on me.

All you Omegamatic maniacs (the few that I know), if you'd like a less than technical dissertation, please feel free to e-mail, PM or just reply.

My Omegamatic is such a special watch to me: classy, dressy and yet sporty enough (though at 37mm, it's more for office or formal wear these days). A shame they stopped making it! David/Kieron/Eric, thanks for encouraging me to find the solution!

Thanks
Glimmer
aka Clarence

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Hello C, my friend. It's good to see you. Any chance of a pic of the 'Matic, to refresh our memories?

eric

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Joe/Eric---

My watchmaker ended up sourcing out a Seiko Kinetic SLT-420 capacitor for it. It roughly cost me around $40.

Here's an old pic, Eric. It's good to hear from you, my friend....

It's the second from the left. Not really good photography, as you are much aware of my skills in that field....;-)

Take care and best regards
Glimmer/Clarence

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hey Glimmer..:-!

Good to hear that the Omegamatic is tickin' again..;-)
A not very common Omega I might add, but a real beauty to look at.

Enjoy..:-!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
...It's the second from the left. Not really good photography, as you are much aware of my skills in that field....;-)
errr...second from the right, right, C? ;-)

My foggy memory has been refreshed, and I'm glad of that. Very nice.

eric

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I'm pretty sure the new battery, as opposed to capacitor, can keep going for months on a charge. Are you going to share your source (I'm just curious if it is cheaper than the one I found...)

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Matt is right. The battery usually comes with a full charge so the watch could run as long as six months without any winding.

I just got a Qmatic myself... My Qmatic looks almost identical to the watch second from the right!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey Clarence, how you doing buddy...? Panasonic do a new Li-Ion capacitor now that can hold a charge for up to six months, it's a Seiko Kinetic replacement, I kept meaning to email you about it. Mine's still going great, it runs about as long as a fully wound auto when I take it off, so I'm not too bothered at the moment...

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
It's one of the nicest quartz, possibly the nicest modern Swiss quartz ebauche available. What still blows me away is that you can pick a slightly less flash version up in a swatch for absolute peanuts:

lovely!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure the new battery, as opposed to capacitor, can keep going for months on a charge. Are you going to share your source (I'm just curious if it is cheaper than the one I found...)
Yes, I wouldn't mind, but I'm in Manila right now if you don't mind. Kindly PM for more details. As I mentioned, it cost me around $40 USD.

So it IS a battery, as I had suspected...why that..well, whatever keeps it ticking. Would a battery, at any rate, damage the capacitor terminals in the long run? If it would, I'd go for a real capacitor right now.

Thanks
Glimmer

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi GJ, many thanks. And I do agree very much!

Glimmer

Hey Glimmer..:-!

Good to hear that the Omegamatic is tickin' again..;-)
A not very common Omega I might add, but a real beauty to look at.

Enjoy..:-!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
errr...second from the right, right, C? ;-)

My foggy memory has been refreshed, and I'm glad of that. Very nice.

eric
Ahh Eric. I believe I posted that while slightly inebriated with cerveza. Thanks. By the way, I had just recently (two days ago) re-installed the Great White bezel on the GMT. I'll have to admit that I think it'll stay on longer this time. Looks better to me this time around. And this time, I just replaced the insert. Less of a hassle and idiocy (is there such a word?:))

-Clarence

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kieron!!! I'm so happy to hear from you my good, good friend!! Hope all is well with you and yours...

So I take it that the SLT-420 installed in my O-matic is a battery and not a capacitor? Have I been duped? Anyhow, would Panasonic sell these capacitors off the shelf or are they a special order deal?

At any rate, I really hope you're OK. Any new babies?

My best regards to Gill.

-Clarence

Hey Clarence, how you doing buddy...? Panasonic do a new Li-Ion capacitor now that can hold a charge for up to six months, it's a Seiko Kinetic replacement, I kept meaning to email you about it. Mine's still going great, it runs about as long as a fully wound auto when I take it off, so I'm not too bothered at the moment...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quite honestly, I'm not sure of what to say...but I do like auto quartzes.

-Glimmer

It's one of the nicest quartz, possibly the nicest modern Swiss quartz ebauche available. What still blows me away is that you can pick a slightly less flash version up in a swatch for absolute peanuts:

lovely!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Matt is right. The battery usually comes with a full charge so the watch could run as long as six months without any winding.

I just got a Qmatic myself... My Qmatic looks almost identical to the watch second from the right!
Congratulations! How do you like it so far?

Glimmer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts