WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my wife that some day I wanted to own this watch. This was back in 2015 when I saw it at a Omega store. How I came to this point is another story. Let start by saying that I have owned several Omegas, never new and countless other watches. Currently own a Ball Fireman. So I have always liked diver style watches and was just itching to own one. So off to Watchrecon I went in search for one. To keep it short I ran across a Bremont S301. Beautiful watch, simple dial and overall I liked the looks of it. So off to my jeweler I went who had one in stock. Got a nice discount and came home with it. I get home and pull the crown out to set the time and noticed the crown had a wobble to it. Call the jeweler and they ordered me another one. This was Monday. Today, Thursday, they tell me it’s in. Go to pick it up and once again, the crown on the new one also had a slight wobble. I was like this is a sign. Asked the jeweler to see the 300, again, and just bit the bullet and bought it with a 20% discount. Was going to get the leather but for $300 more I just went ahead and got the bracelet instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great catch! Always thought this is way nicer than the standard Seamaster. Also definitely the right choice to go for the bracelet instead of the leather.
I had 3 Seamasters before. I could never get over the escape valve and the bezel design. Always liked a coin roll or Rolex style bezel. I got the bracelet because it was only $300 more vs the leather strap and a leather can be bought for around $2-300. Bracelet is way more expensive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That Omega is a stunner. Excellent deal on the Omega with the dealer offering 20%. Where I live, Omega stores/ADs/dealers rarely breach the 20% mark and the discount is controlled tightly by Swatch. Everyone wants to be Rolex. With rising prices and Swatch intent on making discounts passe, its a sad time for most of us.
I tried to push for more since she originally gave me like 30-35% on the Bremont. She was very firm about the the 20%. Let’s hope Omega doesn’t become anything like Rolex, it would be a shame. I don’t mind them being able to retain value or even go up a small amount but not to where Rolex is today. Especially with having to wait a decade to acquire one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Shame you had an issue with your Bremont, they are great watches I love my S500.
The movement on the S301 is I believe an ETA movement & perhaps that is an issue with that particular one.
Your new Omega looks great by the way, I also own an Omega.:)(y) View attachment 16350359 View attachment 16350361
It was shame that it had an issue. I was looking for a simple looking watch. The S301 fit the bill but after 2 of the same watches had the same issue, it was a sign to me to get what I have always wanted. I poured through a lot of positive and negative reviews on Bremont. In the end it was what I liked and decided to buy it. Like I said I was looking for a clean dial divers watch. I like the case design, which was different from all your run of the mill cases, the DLC was a nice touch. Matte ceramic bezel with a coin roll bezel. I could never get use to the scallop bezel or the escapement valve on the Seamaster even after owning several. The ETA doesn’t bother me, my current Ball and other previous watches had all ETA movements. The aged leather strap was very nice, nice enough that I am looking for a similar one for my 300. The bezel action on the S301 was a let down though. For a watch that cost around $4k retail it could have been way better. The clicks are loud and rough. It had movement it the opposite direction and you could move the bezel from side to side. Reminded me of a Sekio 009 that I had. The Omega is smooth, can hardly hear it, not backwards or side to side movement. But Omegas tolerances are way better being who they are. I will say that the reviews I read hold true in the sense that it’s a great watch but the price point is too high. I might still pick one up on the used market and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Those 300s are beautiful! I agree, way better than the SMP. I do not like that needlessly obtrusive helium escape valve. This however is clean and elegant. If it had a ceramic bezel I would be all in. I do admit the matte blue does look super nice though I would worry too much about scratching it
They are beautiful and clean. What do you mean, if it had a ceramic bezel? The SMP and 300 do have a ceramic bezel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Your's is a first generation 300, which does have a ceramic bezel. The second generation in the photo above that came out in 2021 have aluminium bezels.
I didn’t know that. Had to look it up. Kinda shocked that they went back to a aluminum bezel. I have scratched a few aluminum bezels in my days and loved it when manuf started going ceramic. Just like my sunglasses, I can’t do plastic, no matter how scratch resistant they are. I stick to glass only now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
To me the biggest step back on the new one is the clasp. The 1st generation clasp has 6 positions of adjustment, while the 2nd generation clasp has only 3 positions of adjustment which I feel was a step backwards as you are loosing some functionality. Everything else is just a cosmetic thing.
Learn something new everyday. I like the Seamaster at the bottom with no other writing. I also like the open numbers. Prefer the polished center links, ceramic bezel and the arrow seconds hand. I also wouldn’t mind if was also slimmer, but still wears well for it thickness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.