WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pining for a vintage non-date 300 for a few years now and I finally made the purchase. Now I have the ‘long’ wait from Australia to the States!

Cant wait to receive it, will post pics and feedback if anyone is interested – I know we already have many 300 reviews here but one more cant hurt right? :)

A special thanks to member mleok who always took the time to answer my countless questions…thanks!

Here are some pictures from the seller…what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Mario
IMG_0644.jpeg IMG_0643.jpeg IMG_0642.jpeg

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Congratulations! I love mine (with date)! Fantastic watch - I love the profile of it, as shown in the shot in the previous post.

Mines on an 1171/633 but it looks great on anything (also have the Omega mesh and rubber for it. Next up is going to be a Phoenix one piece regimental in grey and black):

20150827_142601-large.jpg

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
A typo... you're too fast - you posted while I was correcting it!

Looks great. What's the difference between 1161 and 1171?
BTW, has your movement been serviced? Mine was purchased from Watchco several years ago and the original purchaser ignored their advice to him at the time to have it serviced as it had been sitting for several years following assembly. When I got it in August of 2014 I fortuitously mentioned to a friend that I had just purchaesd the watch and that it hadn't been serviced and he suggested I cease wearing it immediately and send it in for a servicing, which I did. Due to the wear caused by dried lubricant in the movement, I wound up paying $335 in parts alone... So worth it, but had I realized just how much damage wearing a watch in need of lubrication could cause I would have negotiated a more attractive price! Anyway, my broader point is that if it hasn't been serviced recently, get it done before you start wearing it as it will save you money in the long run!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for info on bracelets.

They told me movement was serviced. Wonder if worth it to have checked out?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Beautiful! Congrats on the new acquisition!

Reactions: mario24601

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think if Watchco told you it had been serviced, you are good to go. They specifically told the original buyer of mine to get it serviced, so I think they'd tell you . Does watchco offer a warranty?

Thanks for info on bracelets.

They told me movement was serviced. Wonder if worth it to have checked out?

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Congrats on stunning SM300.

Reactions: mario24601

·
Registered
751 Posts
A typo... you're too fast - you posted while I was correcting it!

BTW, has your movement been serviced? Mine was purchased from Watchco several years ago and the original purchaser ignored their advice to him at the time to have it serviced as it had been sitting for several years following assembly. When I got it in August of 2014 I fortuitously mentioned to a friend that I had just purchaesd the watch and that it hadn't been serviced and he suggested I cease wearing it immediately and send it in for a servicing, which I did. Due to the wear caused by dried lubricant in the movement, I wound up paying $335 in parts alone... So worth it, but had I realized just how much damage wearing a watch in need of lubrication could cause I would have negotiated a more attractive price! Anyway, my broader point is that if it hasn't been serviced recently, get it done before you start wearing it as it will save you money in the long run!

This got me nervous and I just checked mine with Giverny at Watchco (about my NOS movement no-date purchased from them in June 2015). She confirmed that all movements are serviced before they are inserted. Maybe the above example was an exception.

BTW, for a killer look, albeit a mixture of new and old, try the SM300 on the latest moonwatch bracelet (ref 1998 or earlier versions) which fits perfectly, just perfectly, at the lugs with no movement at all:

I have both the no-date and the date "NOS" SM300s. Contrary to the general trend, I like the date version, if with the black date wheel.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I keep looking at that bracelet and wondering if it will fit - what bracelet/endlinks is it?

Re: movement, mine was part of a batch of NOS Watchcos sold on eBay in 2012 and had been sitting for several years after servicing and assembly. The buyer was advised to have it serviced but opted not to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts