WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I was bitten by the Rolex bug and converted from a hater to a fanboy. For a while I had loved the design of the Explorer and finally decided to ditch my El Primero and get it. When I finally got close to purchasing time I was torn between the Sub, Explorer, and Explorer 2, but I came to my senses and got my favorite Rolex of all time, the one I really wanted, the 114270 Explorer 36mm. I believe this is the greatest Rolex ever made, the size is perfect at 36mm (wears quite large) and its understated and elegent design is fine with jeans and a suit, everything (except the crummy Oyster bracelet) is perfect about this watch. The Explorer is absolutely gorgeous and I am ecstatic.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Used to be Rolex hater for a long time. Then after knowing more, I stop caring what other might think of me or my watch. Now I own one but I would not say I am a fan boy.
No need for hating. They make fantastic watches.

Your selection is fantastic. Looks like the pair compliment each other. Congrats.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Excellent chice, omega1234. You've got a drool-worthy duo there!

I'm looking to add an Explorer (1016 or 114270, I've yet to decide...) to my stable this year, so your arrival is making me envious ;D

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Absolutely classic! Love it... I WISH I was a smaller human being, because this would absolutely be the Rolex for me. Wear it in great health, and thanks for FINALLY posting the pics!

-Max

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Love the Explorer I, I agree it's probably the best Rolex in the current lineup, with the Submariner a close second. I am not a fan of the current GMT, the Explorer II, or the garish Sky Dweller.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Awesome choice, the smaller Explorer I is a seriously classic watch.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about it, I admit I used to be a hater, too, but once I tried one on, I was sold. They look nice, especially in 36 mm, on the wrist.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
White gold? Explorer doesn't have white gold. It is stainless steel.
I believe the hour markers are made of white gold.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I always thought the re 1016 Explorer is one of the best looking watch ever. The moderate size that doesn't shout. The minimalism of no date or bezel, the reflection and curves of the domed acrylic crystal and the beautiful matte dial. In lieu of the fact that finding a 1016 at a reasonable price in mint condition with no dial antics, pitting, or overpolishing is basically impossible than the OP's watch is clearly the next best thing.

Reactions: GlennO

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
ABSOLUTELY Fantastic! I was betting with myself and I won. I just knew it was a Rolex and as I would expect, you chose the ONLY Rolex I would want for myself. I'm very happy for you! I hope you wear this in the best of health and happiness. Congratulations for sure!!!!!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
This is definitely one of the next ups into my stable as well.

Awesome catch there, congrats!

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Congrats! I'd love to add a 39mm Explorer!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
A few months ago, I was bitten by the Rolex bug and converted from a hater to a fanboy. For a while I had loved the design of the Explorer and finally decided to ditch my El Primero and get it. When I finally got close to purchasing time I was torn between the Sub, Explorer, and Explorer 2, but I came to my senses and got my favorite Rolex of all time, the one I really wanted, the 114270 Explorer 36mm. I believe this is the greatest Rolex ever made, the size is perfect at 36mm (wears quite large) and its understated and elegent design is fine with jeans and a suit, everything (except the crummy Oyster bracelet) is perfect about this watch. The Explorer is absolutely gorgeous and I am ecstatic.
Fantastic choice! I agree, the watches in the Explorer line are, for my money, the coolest Rolex's made... To me they are actually still "tool" watches, as every Rolex used to be... Subs and Dwellers are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but they seem to be on the wrists of so many businessmen that the tool quality is somewhat diminished. Not that they wouldn't be up to serious duty if needed, mind you... It's just that the Explorer line, in my view, has retained a modicum of purpose in that regard. I had the 36mm Explorer too, and wow is it cool, so understated and purposeful. In the end, the lack of a date drove me crazy, however... And I do travel a lot... So I sold it and bought a Polar II. I couldn't be happier with it!

One quick note with regards to your comment on the Rolex's bracelet... Like you, I had an Omega (actually three of them) before a Rolex, so I was used to beautiful, heavy bracelets. In fact, directly before the Explorer, I was wearing an IWC 3548 Aquatimer, which sports just about the best bracelet in the business- a serious work of art. I will say that after wearing the Rolex for a while now my opinion on it has changed a bit... Yes, the stamped parts of the clasp are cheap. No, lying on a table it doesn't come close to the fit and finish, design, or overall beauty of the Omega (and particularly IWC) bracelets... But the Rolex is eminently wearable. It's been extremely comfortable so far. In fact, the Explorer II ties with the Sinn EZM3 as the most comfortable watch I've ever worn... Which at the end of the day, does speak well of the bracelet. Off the wrist, being inspected, there's no doubt that it's mediocre at best... But on the wrist I think it's a fantastically functional design. At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fantastic choice! I agree, the watches in the Explorer line are, for my money, the coolest Rolex's made... To me they are actually still "tool" watches, as every Rolex used to be... Subs and Dwellers are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but they seem to be on the wrists of so many businessmen that the tool quality is somewhat diminished. Not that they wouldn't be up to serious duty if needed, mind you... It's just that the Explorer line, in my view, has retained a modicum of purpose in that regard. I had the 36mm Explorer too, and wow is it cool, so understated and purposeful. In the end, the lack of a date drove me crazy, however... And I do travel a lot... So I sold it and bought a Polar II. I couldn't be happier with it!

One quick note with regards to your comment on the Rolex's bracelet... Like you, I had an Omega (actually three of them) before a Rolex, so I was used to beautiful, heavy bracelets. In fact, directly before the Explorer, I was wearing an IWC 3548 Aquatimer, which sports just about the best bracelet in the business- a serious work of art. I will say that after wearing the Rolex for a while now my opinion on it has changed a bit... Yes, the stamped parts of the clasp are cheap. No, lying on a table it doesn't come close to the fit and finish, design, or overall beauty of the Omega (and particularly IWC) bracelets... But the Rolex is eminently wearable. It's been extremely comfortable so far. In fact, the Explorer II ties with the Sinn EZM3 as the most comfortable watch I've ever worn... Which at the end of the day, does speak well of the bracelet. Off the wrist, being inspected, there's no doubt that it's mediocre at best... But on the wrist it's a fantastically functional design.
Great post, I appreciate it. The bracelet has already grown on me and is starting to feel at home on my wrist. I am already yearning for another Rolex, maybe a 16570 Polar or 16600. Someday I would love to have a "smurf" also, one of my all time favorite watches.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts