WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every other firefighter I know wears a G. I rock a Golden King. A lot of guys sport a Rescue, or 9600. I was thinking, they should make a G for firemen. I think cool features would me a time marker.. Meaning you click a button and it saves the time. That way after a call you can look back and see call times and arrival times. A thermometer would be cool. Maybe atomic and solar. Stopwatch. Red backlight so when you're in the front of the rig you don't blind traffic ( plus it would be cool), big buttons so you can press the, with a glove on. And low profile so it doesn't catch on my bunker coat.

I love my golden king but beside not having most of these feature is the annoying part that it snags on my coat.

somebody build this watch for me LOL

·
Registered
765 Posts
Every other firefighter I know wears a G. I rock a Golden King. A lot of guys sport a Rescue, or 9600. I was thinking, they should make a G for firemen. I think cool features would me a time marker.. Meaning you click a button and it saves the time. That way after a call you can look back and see call times and arrival times. A thermometer would be cool. Maybe atomic and solar. Stopwatch. Red backlight so when you're in the front of the rig you don't blind traffic ( plus it would be cool), big buttons so you can press the, with a glove on. And low profile so it doesn't catch on my bunker coat.

I love my golden king but beside not having most of these feature is the annoying part that it snags on my coat.

somebody build this watch for me LOL
As far as the time marker feature goes, Casio calls it the time recorder, and there are some models that use this feature. To name a few:

MTG900DA-8V

mtg900da-8v_xlarge.jpg

GW530A-1V

gw530a-1v_xlarge.jpg

GW500A-1V

gw500a-1v_xlarge.jpg

A specific series for fireman/rescue personnel would look cool though....

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I think cool features would me a time marker.. Meaning you click a button and it saves the time. That way after a call you can look back and see call times and arrival times.
Casio has put this on a few older G-Shock models, that are still out there on shelves at a discount. Called the "Time Memo" feature, it does exactly what you mention: press a button and it saves the date and time in memory, and it can hold 25 of those. I've said before that it would be perfect for people in that line of work, or for anybody who has to fill out a detailed time sheet.

It was on the old MTG-900 and GW-500 series of watches -- the newer MTG-M900 and GWM-500 have countdown timers instead -- and those ARE all solar/atomic models!

A thermometer would be cool.
Maybe but not really -- unless you want to know your SKIN temperature inside your turnout coat. Most G-Shocks and Pathfinders with thermometers need to be removed from the wrist and left to sit for 15-30 minutes before they give an accurate reading, which makes it a neat but not terribly functional feature.

Edit: five minutes late, but as Schwizzle said, the OLD versions of those have the Time Memo feature. The "new" version was just released in 2013, but there are plenty of the old ones out there on store shelves and on the internet, often discounted because it's the older model. If you can see the watch in person, the old ones say "Waveceptor" at the top of the glass and "Time Memo" and "Receive" on the bezel; the new ones say "Multiband 6" on the glass and "Reverse" and "Forward" on the bezel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I seem to remember casio announcing they were developing a G for extreme high temperatures, and another G for extreme low temperatures.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Casio has put this on a few older G-Shock models, that are still out there on shelves at a discount. Called the "Time Memo" feature, it does exactly what you mention: press a button and it saves the date and time in memory, and it can hold 25 of those. I've said before that it would be perfect for people in that line of work, or for anybody who has to fill out a detailed time sheet.

It was on the old MTG-900 and GW-500 series of watches -- the newer MTG-M900 and GWM-500 have countdown timers instead -- and those ARE all solar/atomic models!
Like Mike said only the older MTG-900 and GW-500 series have the time memo function. These may be hard to find, but still available, especially in the used market. Some of the current ABC (Altimeter/Barometer/Compass) sensor watches also have this function, such as the GW9400 and PRG270. Those can record multiple records for date/time or sensor readings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I seem to remember casio announcing they were developing a G for extreme high temperatures, and another G for extreme low temperatures.
I remember this as well. I believe I heard about these watches during the 30th Anniversary press conference. Don't think I've heard much since.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Sounds to me like you need the RED Rangeman! May not meet 'all' of your wants in a watch, but it should meet many of them. ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
kikuo ibe was telling about making fireman gshock model, there is a prototype somewhere on the internet. It doesnt look very good, diffrent design.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As a FF/EMT and Rangeman owner, I can not recommend that watch for the task. Too think, always getting caught up on cuffs/gloves. Also the buttons are too large and easy to press which means they tend to be activated accidentally when covered by coat, wearing gloves, and performing a lot of movement. As far a features, thermometer is kind of a gimmick in general, and I don't see any practical use for it on a fire scene. Time recording and elapsed time features sure would be nice, though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts