WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My taste and opinion on watches has changed so much since I started it would be curious to see how yall evolved.
#1 g shock- I was young and surfed alot wanted watch to beat on
#2 seiko turtle back - grandpa left me this watch. Started the mechanical watch thinking
#3 victorinox officer automatic- first one with see through back this is when I got fascinated with mechanical movements
#4 Rolex Oyster perpetual- ever since I was little my grandpa wore one and I admired the stories and longevity of it
#5 New Tudor black bay- I really just think this watch is beautiful and am a big fan of the Rolex 5510. Hard to resist when I discovered it.
Of course each watch has a story and meaning behind it but these are quick thoughts.
What started it for you?

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I first bought a "tester" watch and then "real" watches:

#0 - Seagull M172S - liked it. Wore it enough to get hooked. Stopped wearing it once I got nicer watches and gave it away.

#1: Bell and Ross 03x92 - Liked it. Sold it to a friend when I got my Panerai 24 as I wasn't wearing it enough. Regretted that sale a lot for a while but am ok with it now.

#2: IWC Aquatimer - loved the watch. Sold it after a year and a half b/c my tastes moved to smaller watches. I will miss it. If it came in a smaller and thinner size, it would be a lifetime keeper for me.

#3: Tudor Chrono Heritage: liked it. Traded it for a Panerai 24 which I liked even more. Kinda regret it and may get a blue chrono heritage to replace the Sinn I have right now.

#4: Panerai 24: Enjoyed it a lot. However, my tastes evolved to smaller watches so I flipped it for a 241. That turned out to be a little too small for a Panerai so I bought a 688 LE and sold it. The 688 is a keeper.

#5: Zenith El Primero. Love it but again, a part of me wishes I had gotten the 38 mm. I am still undecided on that, though as there are times when I do like the larger size. I am, however, considering trading it for a 38mm.

I also bought a Rodina Nomos homage and a Parnis Panerai homage to try on the styles before buying the actual ones.

All these watches were bought unseen or on an impulse. But I think my change in preferences played a bigger role in the flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Inater

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
1. Wrangler from Walmart. I was 16 at the time. No clue.

Then I got hooked on daily deal sites:
2. Bulova diamond bezel thing. GF thought it was cool and wanted us to match. That girl became my wife. It was a good choice.

3&4. Couple Stuhrling. No reason other than they were skeletonized and cheap.

5. Invicta Speedway took me to 28 or so. Looked like Rolex. I fell into the overinflated MSRP trap.

6. Rolex Sub. I decided to get a "real" watch and overpaid at Tourneau.

7. Timex Weekender. I liked the idea of changing straps to match my outfits. It's one of the loudest ticking watches I own. I have to keep it in a separate room.

8. Omega DSoTM . Saw it on these forums. Tried it on and liked it.

9. Alba. It was like the timex except it had kanji day of the week. It wears smaller too.

10. Nomos GMT. I was traveling and wanted a sensible GMT.

11-50+ that's another story.

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
1. Swatch Watch back in the mid-1980's
2. Orange Swiss Army Dive Master 500, quartz, when I first learned how to Scuba
3. Blue Swiss Army Dive Master 500, quartz, for a Scuba trip to Hawaii
4. Seiko Baby Tuna srp637 for diving/swimming/everyday wear
5. Citizen Ecozilla for local drysuit diving - it also looks good on an orange strap
6. Seiko Blumo for the 6r15 movement, finish and look. I'm big into affordability and value (both subjectively, for myself)
7. Steinhart Marine Chronometer Roman, for a fun wind-up watch I can bring to the café when I read, or lounging on the water/docks
8. Steinhart Ocean 44, because I was shocked by the quality:cost ratio of the Steinhart Marine. And I'm again I'm pleasantly surprised, the 44 (I tend to do larger watches as I have 8"+ wrists) has performed flawlessly. I have some mods planned to differentiate it even further from the Sea Dweller it's based on.

At 38, a modest collection to be sure. But they're mine, and I enjoy them (except for the Swatch, I wore it all the time in gradeschool, and at one point it disappeared).

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
1) Casio Digitial when I was 10ish
2) Swatch watch in middle school
3) Freestyle digital dive watch when I was first out of college
4) Tissot T Touch Expert
5) Steinhart Nav B Uhr
6) Steinhart Ocean 44 GMT
7) Tissot V8
8) TX something or other
9) Seiko OM
10) Tissot Coutourier

Only the Tissot T Touch remains, my trusty go to beater

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Timex or similar til middle school - that's what my parents provided.

Pulsar in middle school thru high school - gift from my grandmother.

Seiko graduation gift til mid late 20s - gift.

Seiko til 37 - this is more than 1, but 1 at a time.

Seiko titanium sport kinetic 100 - this is the first watch I actually put some thought into. It was expensive, for me at the time ~$700 IIRC, but I liked that it was self winding (automatic, of sorts) and would never need a battery. It, and Seiko along with it, failed after just over 3 years. Dead as a door nail and Seiko would not replace parts - sorry Charlie.

All the above are are long gone. All the following, with the exception of the electric blue Seamaster are still with me.

Tag Heuer 2000 TT - After the Seiko experience, I went and bought the runner-up that lost to the Seiko. Still have it, runs great, wear it occasionally.

Rolex Sub* - got a bonus and bought the Sub. My wife got a TT DJ. Still have both, but while I wear the Sub quite a lot (it's my beater) the DJ is a safe queen.

Baume Capeland - Gift from my wife. I am not a chrono guy, but my wife loves this watch. I don't object to it, so I wear it on occasion - enough to have worn out & replaced the OEM strap after 16 years.

Dad's Seamaster - gifted from dad. I had to get it restored and wear is occasionally. It is the only gold look (gold filled) watch I have, so despite its original intent in 1948, it sometimes does dress duty.

Omega Seamaster Electric Blue - I got this one to go with dad's. After wearing it quite a bit, it didn't keep particularly good time and was rather large, I sold it. I wish I had just stored it and had it serviced. I like the look a lot, but not enough to replace it.

Breitling Transocean Day & Date* - after taking a haitus of 10 years from watch buying, the kids are now raised. Dad had recently died, so I thought of a commemoration watch. I have his Seamaster, but wear it sparingly because of the easily scratched crystal. I was looking for something, but I wasn't sure what. My wife and I were picking my Sub up from a service and just browsing. I was looking at that Tag, Tudor, Rolex, Cartier and Patek cases. Nothing really called my name. Not being a chrono guy, I did not even look at the Breitling case, but my wife did. She called my attention to this guy, so I tried it on. My first reaction was "dang that thing is huge". I still have this thought, but with an 8+" wrist, I can pull it off. I like this watch quite a lot, but if it were a 38mm case and 2/3 the height, it would be perfect.

Tissot Ballade III TT - had a client that took issue with expensive watches,so I needed a watch that would fly under their radar. This one has a lovely dial and will be put on a strap when the bracelet gold wears off. This is a nice, if inexpensive, watch and it runs well. I wear it occasionally and more to certain clients.

Tag F1 Calibre 16 - gift from my wife on first grandfather's day. I am not a chrono guy and not a fan of larger watches. This one weighs half a pound and looks like a skyscraper, so it gets limited wrist time. I do wear it when we go to soccer matches and time the halves.

GV2 - bought on a whim. This is a funky watch that is fun to wear - so I do.

Zenith Elite* - This is a nice thin 37mm dressy watch a I wear it quite a lot at work. Slim & light weight, you don't even notice it is there.

JLC Grande Reverso Duo* - I went to look at the JLC MUT Moon and MUT Date. I was rather non-plussed as they were both a bit hard to read in a variety of lighting situations. The Grande Reverso Duo, however, with its blued hands on white/silver dial or white hands on black dial was quite the looker and easy to read. I tried it on and it felt like it had always been there, it just fits me right. I have always been a huge fan of Art Deco and this fits right in - sold. It wasn't what I had gone to look for, but I am glad it was the there.

* - these 4 get the vast majority of my wrist time.

I wouldn't say my tastes have changed over time, although it would be easy to read that into his post. When I bought the Rolex, it was almost expected at work. I remember, one guy got a Breitling and got pilloried. I went with the flow. I really wanted a TT DJ, but I wanted to get my wife a gift too, so I stepped down to the Sub. It's a great watch that I wear most of the time when I am not at work, i.e., weekends and vacations. The Seamaster was bought to go with dad's, sort of bookending the Seamaster styles. The Breitling is a great business casual watch that can do suit duty with a strap change. The Zenith & Reverso can do business formal or less.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I summarized my early journey in this thread from a couple years ago. The Orient, Hamilton, and hand-wound VSA are no longer with me.

·
Premium Member
73,856 Posts
1. Rolex DJ - my dream watch
2. I'll just get this PRC200 while the Rolex is away for service. Ooo look! A slippery slope - It's to be hoped nobody steps on that.
3. That PRS200 looks nice, I might as well get it. I can still see that slippery slope.
4. The Seastar - cor a diver (slippery slope ahoy)
5. The Diver Date - The first Oris of many. - no more use pretending. I'm well and truly on the slope and it's just as slippy as advertised.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
These are my "first 5" (not including when I was a little kid)
1. Timberland quartz chronograph - bought it cause I saw it on like one of those deal websites for like $40 and recognized the brand name. Thought it looked kinda cool.
2. Stuhrling quartz watch - didn't realize it at the time, but looks similar to a datejust but not a real homage at least with no cyclops. Saw it for sale on amazon for like $50 (marked down from like $100) so thought, why not?
3. Some Dutch company quartz watch - again bought on amazon but this one was a little more expensive. Thought to myself at the time, I wanted a more "serious" watch, haha. It has subdials that kinda look like a chronograph, but are just day/date/24hr indicators, because at the time I didn't know any better. Thought it looked pretty cool so I bought it.
4. Ingersoll automatic. This is when I first started getting interested in automatics, and I started really likening square watches. This is a big white square watch with an open heart design, which at the time I loved since automatics were just so "cool"
5. Parnis automatic with an open heart and power reserve. This must've been around the time I just joined the forums and heard about these "affordable" watches. I loved this one, I tried to buy another that never came (thankfully) and got a refund. This one gave me trouble on occasion so I sold it.

i still own the first four which are sitting in a drawer. Tried to sell a few of them with no luck, so guess I'm keeping them until I find someone that wants them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
1. IWC Portguese Chronograph (3714-46) -- Something about those blue hands and applied numerals...While some people hate that the 6 and 12 on the dial are chopped, I think it's great.
2. Nomos Ludwig Automatik Datum -- Love the roman numerals, the overall size (One of the larger models in the Nomos line up) and again, those sexy blued hands.
3. Stowa Marine Klassik 40 Silver w/ Soprod A-10 movement -- Was seeking something cheaper, but still well made that I could beat up on. Oh, and again, blued hands.
4. TBD
5. TBD

Going to take my time with the last 2 spots to see how my tastes develop with time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I first bought a "tester" watch and then "real" watches:

#0 - Seagull M172S - liked it. Wore it enough to get hooked. Stopped wearing it once I got nicer watches and gave it away.

#1: Bell and Ross 03x92 - Liked it. Sold it to a friend when I got my Panerai 24 as I wasn't wearing it enough. Regretted that sale a lot for a while but am ok with it now.

#2: IWC Aquatimer - loved the watch. Sold it after a year and a half b/c my tastes moved to smaller watches. I will miss it. If it came in a smaller and thinner size, it would be a lifetime keeper for me.

#3: Tudor Chrono Heritage: liked it. Traded it for a Panerai 24 which I liked even more. Kinda regret it and may get a blue chrono heritage to replace the Sinn I have right now.

#4: Panerai 24: Enjoyed it a lot. However, my tastes evolved to smaller watches so I flipped it for a 241. That turned out to be a little too small for a Panerai so I bought a 688 LE and sold it. The 688 is a keeper.

#5: Zenith El Primero. Love it but again, a part of me wishes I had gotten the 38 mm. I am still undecided on that, though as there are times when I do like the larger size. I am, however, considering trading it for a 38mm.

I also bought a Rodina Nomos homage and a Parnis Panerai homage to try on the styles before buying the actual ones.

All these watches were bought unseen or on an impulse. But I think my change in preferences played a bigger role in the flip.

Awesome thinking Panerai or IWC for next one. Love how clean they are.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I have worn watches from my early years back in elementary school,back then it was an Alba and Casio bought by my grandparents

My first few watches that started this madness are:

1.Rolex 16570,my first ever nice watch,bought it simply because it's a Rolex and back then I got it for a good price,still have it and wear it occasionally,though now it's on NATO

2.Gshock Lungman,I needed something more durable for school,so I got this,loving the HR capability

3.Tag F1 ana-digi with rubber strap,got this for my 20th bday and actually love it because it's durable,versatile and comfy

4.Pam 24,my first ever Panerai and the watch that got me somewhat hooked to the brand in general,it's big,bad and wobbly (it has 7750 ticking inside)

5.pam 111E,the watch that got me hooked on Panerai as a brand,it's from the first year when 111 was produced with different dial (painted) and movements (graffiti unitas movt),loving the simplicity and robustness of this watch but after this I went for a non watch buying phase for 5-6 years and I also wear Cartier Pasha that was given by my mom roughly around this time

6.pam 292,this is the watch that opened the floodgate and made me purchase 7 Panerais within 7 months,and I just realized that I haven't worn this watch for a while....gotta take it from my safe and wear it...

Prior to the Rolex I have several Tags and Gshock but I didn't recall the specific type,except one titanium frogman that was rusty

I still own all these watches in my collection...

However my favorite watch came after number 10....pam 345 It was my so called "grail" as the number of production was very limited (150) and the price was so expensive (close to eur 20k) but somehow I got one in pre owned condition with good price,and my parents actually bought it as a christmas gift for me...lucky

·
Registered
307 Posts
As a child, I had many watches growing up. My favorite was my Star Wars Darth Vader watch. As I got older, I wore a variety of Swatch watches. Fast forward to my 20's and it went from there:

1. Luminox Navy SEAL (velcro band). This watch was my first real beater watch and it held up for years. I loved it so much that when it finally died, i went and bought another one. One of the BEST watches I've ever owned in my life.

2. Luminox Navy SEAL (steel bracelet). This was the first real watch my Dad ever gave me. Like the other two, it still works like it's brand new.

3. Stuhrling. Not sure of the model but it is a nice watch. I don't wear it often but it's still nice.

4. Tudor: Not sure of the model but it was old. Didn't cost alot but loved it because it was mostly made by Rolex.

5: Omega Dynamic. I LOVED this watch. Had it restored and it was beautiful. Only problem was it was a 38mm and I have a large wrist so when i wore it, it looked like i was wearing a ladies watch, so i sold it. I was NOT happy.

6. Bulova Precisionist. Another of my favorite watches. I got this when I turned 40 and I couldn't have been happier about it. Durable and reliable and I will keep it for a long time.

7. Mikhail Moskvin. My Dad got me this one when he went to Russia. It has two time zones. Again, I don't wear it often but enough to warrant me having to get another band.

8. Omega Planet Ocean. I fell in love with this one after seeing it in the Bond movie Skyfall. I went out and bought it (the REAL one...not the special Bond edition one) and never looked back. It is my all-time favorite watch.

9. Luno. My wife got me this one for my anniversary. It it made of wood and comes on the softest, most comfortable brown leather strap I have ever felt in my life. I wish i could put this on all my watches. Once again, i love it but it doesn't get much wearing time.

10. Breitling SuperOcean II. I fell in love with this one after seeing it from the 2015 Baselworld collection. Couldn't wait to get it. Saved and saved and finally bought it. Wore it about 15-20 times and fell out of love with it. Very sad, really. It's a gorgeous watch.

11: Panerai Luminor 112. Saw this one even before the Breitling. Was going to get it but went with the Breitling instead. All the signs pointed to this one because the place where i got it was the only place that had one, and they miss marked it and i got it at a RIDICULOUS price. Couldn't turn it down.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
1. Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical: Bought it because I wanted to see how cool it would be to own a mechanical watch. I wanted a watch that was not too far out there and that could be worn in all occasions. It looks simple, but I love how legible the dial was. Would this turn into a hobby or did I just waste $250? To answer simply...it became a hobby.

2. Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic: Received it as a gift for Christmas and it is unique for being a dress watch and a casual watch. Not as casual as the Khaki Field, but it can dress down. It also brings to mind watches from the 60's in terms of style which I find very unique. I do find it a little large on my wrist if it is being considered a dress watch.

3. Seiko SKX007: Bought it because I wanted to see why dive watches were so popular and I needed a beater watch too. The bezel was fun to play with and the lume was the champion of my collection. It also looked tough and casual which makes sense why it is so popular. Still wear it today as a beater watch and as a forum favorite.

4. Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date: A vintage watch from my grand mother who also collected watches. It is from the late 70's and it is my dressiest watch. I currently have it on a black lizard skin strap which complements the grey sun ray dial very well. It is probably the least accurate watch in my collection, but that is only because I don't have the guts to spend $700-$900 to get it serviced yet.

5. NTH Scorpene No-Date: I bought this watch because I needed an everyday watch on a bracelet. I also wanted to see if micro brands were as high in quality as brands like Hamilton/Seiko. It easily surpassed my expectations for lume that beats my Seiko, bezel action that is better than my Seiko, and a case design that is better than any in my collection. Seems that micro brands offer the most risk and the most value...

My next watch will likely be from another micro brand due to the high quality, attention to detail, and unique approach of the last watch I purchased.

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
3 Lum-Tec's and 4 dfreemont models because they were all so mesmerizing to me just getting into it . . . not sure after that but it got serious for sure . . .

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
1-G Shock(first watch I purchased, but I don't really consider it my first watch, still own it, pre WIS days and saw other people wearing them and thought they looked cool so figured i'd get a watch myself)
2-Tag Aquaracer(a gift, and the watch that got me into watches, this is what I consider my first watch, wanted something nice and versatile and felt it checked more boxes than anything else I was looking at)
3-vintage vostok amphibia(saw it on eBay, cool coloring on the bezel, wanted something older with some color)
4-Sub(wanted a Rolex that was versatile, and the James Bond thing drew me in)
5-random Longines Homage(saw an advertisement for it on amazon for very cheap and pulled the trigger right there)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a handwound Mickey Mouse watch as a youngster, like age 5, that I messed up (killed) by jumping in the shower without realizing it was on my wrist.

That's when I realized watches were special, but I was too young to really get it.

Had a Fossil in high school, 2 quartz Seiko dressy watches as an undergraduate (one even had a screw down crown), and then a Nixon that would record sound to use as an alarm.

So that's the first five, but at that point I started looking into the watch world a little more and got into mechanicals (like that first MM watch).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Some of you really knew what you were doing and went straight for the big hitters... the rest of use took a bit of time to discover our preferences.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1) Pulsar quartz chronograph - felt quite the gentleman with it. After registering on WUS my first WUS-like thing was getting a new strap for it (sold it)
2) Vostok Komandirskie - I read about it and wanted to try an automatic watch (sold it)
3) Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic - I got to choose a watch for my graduation and after long research this was the one. This really started my interest in watches
4) Orient Mako (pepsi) - I wanted a more sporty watch next to my Hamilton
5) Rodina bauhaus - I wanted to try this style of watch (sold it)
6) Steinhart Ocean Two (blue) - I saw one online and it became a grail (within my budget). Eventually I found one on a forum and bought it
7) G-Shock DW-5600MS - I wanted a G-Shock. It's my sports watch now.
8) Magrette Regattare Chrono - Like the Steinhart
9) Orient Champion (green) - I stumbled upon it and thought a green dial watch would be nice
10) Vostok Amphibian - Bought some black and white shoes and wanted a matching watch. It became a white dialed Vostok with an aftermarket black bezel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1) G-shock - wanted something versatile for work. Ended up losing it.

2) SKX007 - well-lauded, have it on a rubber strap. Not sure I love it though and am considering selling.

3) Hamilton khaki field mechanical - love it! Although considering switching to an Auto or King because the mechanical seems too casual.

4) maratac mid pilot - have it on leather, LOVE it. Haven't tired of it in the least.

5) SARB033 just picked up two days ago, incredibly versatile dress watch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts