WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a Heuer "Manhattan" Chronosplit for ages now and after searching around the net I saw an advert for a mint condition example on Chrono24.

I contacted the seller (a German company called Chronopark), simply asking whether the watch was still for sale and if the price was firm (the advert said open to offers). I received a swift reply the next morning stating that the watch was still for sale and that although the price had been discounted they could offer another small reduction. All good there but then the email went onto say that they only accept bank transfers (no Paypal or Credit Cards). As I work in IT security I always like to pay by some form of secure payment so I replied asking if I could pay via Paypal if I paid for the fees (a reasonable request I would've thought).

I then received a reply this morning stating:

"We only accept bank to bank payment or personally in our shop.
If you don`t have the right feeling for the watch .. sorry but it`s better for you to buy another watch.

If you want to buy the watch please let me know."

I don't know whether something has got lost in translation but I cant imagine that they sell many watches with responses like this! They seem to sell a large number of high end watches so I thought they would be able to accommodate most payment methods and more importantly have better customer service skills. Anyway sufficed to say I'm not buying the watch :)

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Matt

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's exactly what I thought!

·
Registered
844 Posts
red flag. They either want to dodge German tax authorities or he wants a payment that he can steal without recourse. I wont do bank transfer for anything like that.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I'd trust a bank transfer over credit card and/or eBay too, especially seeing if dealing with someone overseas.

It takes a dedicated crook to set up fake credentials to open a bank account.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd trust a bank transfer over credit card and/or eBay too, especially seeing if dealing with someone overseas.

It takes a dedicated crook to set up fake credentials to open a bank account.
Yes but doing a direct bank transfer offers no security in terms of chargeback. I could transfer the money, not receive the watch and then have no recourse.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Yeah, no big deal. Like you I would have walked, but it's their privilege to accept or limit payment methods as they see fit.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In general I'm deeply suspicious of any payment method that leaves one party totally exposed and the other party able to rip the other off with impunity. I'm particularly suspicious of such vendors when they're in another country. It's just far too easy for someone like that to rip you off and leave you with no recourse at all.

That said...the second xaction I did here at WUS was a high dollar, trans-hemispheric deal paid for via bank-to-bank xfer. I was scared spitless that my Large Chunk o' Cash™ was simply going to disappear into the aether, no watch would ever issue forth, and I'd be well and truly fugged with no recourse. So why did I do it?

1) I really wanted the watch, and since it was one of only 20 made and I'd never seen another for sale I figured carpe watch.

2) The seller was a long time forumite with a ton of positive feedback.

3) The seller communicated well and responded promptly to all my questions.

Fortunately the deal went according to Hoyle and we both walked away happy. Would I do it again given identical circumstances? Maybe. Would I do it with anyone other than a well established forumite? Not a chance.

When it comes to four figures I don't like playing the odds. Several years ago I got scuffed for two and a half large by a sociopathic cretin who did the nasty on almost a hundred other people, to the tune of about half a million bucks. Don't want to go down that road again.

·
Premium Member
14,887 Posts
Chrono24 is a platform like eBay, not a shop: there will be good sellers and bad sellers.

That said remember the buyer can do chargebacks with credit cards and PayPal - just file a claim of non-receipt and the vendor loses their money. So, not necessarily dodgy at all.

agreed I bought 1 watch over chrono24 in Germany. Had good responses from seller, took a while to get the watch but came as described. If i do it again I will target an actual store that is selling through chrono24. seems safer to me.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
As mentioned, Chrono24 is the same as the sales forum here. If you have a bad experience with one seller, it shouldn't keep you from buying from another seller who also lists there. Chrono24 has been very good about asking me about my experience with sellers which gives me a sense that they try to eliminate problem sellers. Keep in mind that if you do have a problem with a seller, you have no recourse against Chrono24. I google the seller's name and deal only with those who have their own website and b&m store and who have been around a while.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
In general I'm deeply suspicious of any payment method that leaves one party totally exposed and the other party able to rip the other off with impunity. I'm particularly suspicious of such vendors when they're in another country. It's just far too easy for someone like that to rip you off and leave you with no recourse at all.
like Paypal?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
As a buyer I insist on PayPal unless the seller is very well established. However, that's specifically because I recognize that PayPal is heavily, heavily slanted towards protecting the buyer and not the seller. As a seller, I'd strongly prefer a bank transfer because it's slanted the opposite way. If I were selling something rare enough that I thought I could get a sale regardless, I'd definitely require a bank transfer.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
As a buyer I insist on PayPal unless the seller is very well established. However, that's specifically because I recognize that PayPal is heavily, heavily slanted towards protecting the buyer and not the seller. As a seller, I'd strongly prefer a bank transfer because it's slanted the opposite way. If I were selling something rare enough that I thought I could get a sale regardless, I'd definitely require a bank transfer.
This is true (a least to me and you) and the way that I'd prefer to do business, too. Of course, preference doesn't always match outcome but, oh well . . . .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
to people who's bashing the seller/shop regarding the payment method and way of communication ... have you guys ever tried selling high end items or own a shop selling high end items? and perhaps deal with people who does not speak your language? aint easy

Try to see things from their point of view as well,

I'm sure they werent trying to look down on the OP or try to shoo him away, but I guess they figured safety first and they probably are not in a big hurry to get rid of the watch

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
My two cents:
No PayPal is a reasonable stance. Paypal is known to be somewhat problematic for small businesses that rely on the income actually coming through without being held up for arbitrary reasons for months.

No Credit Card payment form, though? That's kinda weird.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
If it was a long standing business with a good reputation I would, and have, undertaken a bank transfer though it's not ideal. However I rely a lot on the seller's communication to get a feel for their professionalism and in this case they seem decidedly disinterested in the customer. That would be enough to turn me off them.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
My two cents:
No PayPal is a reasonable stance. Paypal is known to be somewhat problematic for small businesses that rely on the income actually coming through without being held up for arbitrary reasons for months.

No Credit Card payment form, though? That's kinda weird.
Same chargeback possibly on cc

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've bought three watches through Chrono24. Two of them via bank transfer.

I 'bought the sellers' - i.e. checked to see if they were actual businesses, saw how active they were on eBay, checked for positive feedback, saw how big and well-done their digital store front was, made sure they had live self-taken photos of all the stuff they had on hand (not just the watch I wanted) and otherwise saw if they were legit.

I felt perfectly safe sending a wire to an established business.

I've bought and sold 30+ watches via private sellers and have never been burned. You have to do the due diligence and trust your gut. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts